Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Advice

70mD

First post B)

So im 17, i'll have passed my driving test within a month and I need to get a car. I've liked the fiesta since it came out - in vision blue I think it's called.

As a new driver obviously im limited to the 1.25 - think I can stretch to the 82bhp one.

I'd probably get a slightly used one - but what trim? I do like the chromy bits around the fog light and the windows, but I hear you can get them pretty cheap anyways? And how hard would fitting them yourself be?

As well as that wheels - can it fit 18" ?

I really really like these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-18-Td-Jet-Alloys-Nissan-Honda-Toyota-Mazda-wheels-/390184654344?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item5ad8d15608

But i'd quite like to get the Ford badge on the wheel centres, how do I do this?

Would it also be possible to lower the car on 30-35mm springs? Can anyone recommend some good (Cheapish) ones?

Any other advice or cheapish mods would be great :D

i'm only 18 and got the 1.4tdci fiesta, it's only insurance group 1 so the insurance ain't that bad.

You might wish to consult your insurance company before modifying or lowering your car, at 17 they might stick a hefty premium on top of what you already pay. :o

First post B)

So im 17, i'll have passed my driving test within a month and I need to get a car. I've liked the fiesta since it came out - in vision blue I think it's called.

As a new driver obviously im limited to the 1.25 - think I can stretch to the 82bhp one.

I'd probably get a slightly used one - but what trim? I do like the chromy bits around the fog light and the windows, but I hear you can get them pretty cheap anyways? And how hard would fitting them yourself be?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/4-x-18-Td-Jet-Alloys-Nissan-Honda-Toyota-Mazda-wheels-/390184654344?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarParts_Acc_Wheels_tyres_Trims_Car_Rims_ET&hash=item5ad8d15608

But i'd quite like to get the Ford badge on the wheel centres, how do I do this?

Would it also be possible to lower the car on 30-35mm springs? Can anyone recommend some good (Cheapish) ones?

Hello.. Seen them somewhere before...as said check insurance out for any mods.

First post B)

The highest trim level you can get on a 1.25 is a zetec. There is no point in putting 18 Inch wheels on first of all its unlikly they will fit, even if they could fit you would proberly have to change the entire suspension not just the springs so it could run them and tyres for 18 inc wheels are very expensive ive got the 17's on mine and when it comes to replacing them which will be soon it will cost me £350-£400 i gurrentee you 18's will cost more than that.

Your insurance company will absolutly hammer you as well if you put aftermarket wheels or springs on. To give you an idea of what you will be paying i sold my mums old 2002 1.0L corsa life to someone of your age and position it had no aftermarket mods on it. The car was valued at £2100 and the person who bought it had to pay neary £1300 to insure it. I am 100% certain that your insurance will be considerably more then that mainly as a 2nd zetec will cost you at the very least £9000.

First post B)

When I got my first car it was a 1986 Ford Fiesta Firefly (I loved that car! :D) that i bought off my Granddad for £50. It cost me £1250 to insure... I guess you're talking about the new MK7 fiesta from the chrome, that is going to cost a fortune in insurance, but dont let me disuade you! If you have the money to pay for it you'll be grinning like a loon when you show it to your mates!

:D

and as far as mods go, i just bought some Red LED footwell lights to replace the standard ones, and it looks like they look great!

Link:

Received & Fitted Red Footwell Led's Today...

So... i'd have to tell my ins company?

I was planning on cheating a bit and doing the ins with me as a named driver (my parents would drive it alot anyways, so it's not reallly cheating). Direct line quoted me £1200 un modded, and they give named drivers no claims bonus.

Do you think a few mods would really make that much difference?

And Ash, awesome car ;)

I was planning on cheating a bit and doing the ins with me as a named driver (my parents would drive it alot anyways, so it's not reallly cheating). Direct line quoted me £1200 un modded, and they give named drivers no claims bonus.

And Ash, awesome car ;)

Yes you would have to tell your insurance company. After any accident regardless of who is at fault the insurance company engineer will come out to inspect your car if they find any mods like suspension and wheels they report that back to the insurance company. The insurance company will then void your policy so you would then be completly liable even if the accident wasnt your fault. If a policeman pulls you over and they will espcially in Portsmouth which i know well they will fully inspect your car for mods they will then compare this to your insurance policy which they have access to and if they find things not declared they will sieze the car and you will get 6 points for no valid insurance.

The no claims for named drivers will proberly only apply to direct line other insurance companies dont have to accept a no claims for named drivers however after a year of driving as a named driver your insurance will proberly drop to around the £900 mark but dont expect on renewal for other insurance companies to honour a named drivers no claims. If you have your head set on a fiesta you dont need to mod it its good enough as it is Im sure many other members will agree with me on this point.

If a policeman pulls you over and they will espcially in Portsmouth which i know well...

That's quite true - especially if you're anywhere near Portsdown Hill of an evening! Patrol cars make regular visits & spot checks up there - and rightfully so. It's also the No.1 area for cars being nicked & then torched. Add to that the amount of reckless young drivers that have been killed over recent years on the winding hill-top road up there & you can see why the police target the area in the numbers they do!

Have a glance over to the left & my location btw. ;)

If you have your head set on a fiesta you dont need to mod it its good enough as it is Im sure many other members will agree with me on this point.

Seconded! Although some pretty lights here and there can't but help to accentuate the fiestas fantastic-ness! :D

Seconded! Although some pretty lights here and there can't but help to accentuate the fiestas fantastic-ness! :D

...although this white 5-door (spotted in Germany) is kinda sleek n sexy of course! ;)

bild6b.jpg

I was planning on cheating a bit and doing the ins with me as a named driver.

Bad bad bad bad bad... please don't risk that, it's really not worth it. You will get shafted for the first two years or so on your own policy but it's definately worth it. Also, whose name would be on the V5C? If it's yours then there's no way you'd get away with it in the event of an accident.

...although this white 5-door (spotted in Germany) is kinda sleek n sexy of course! ;)

bild6b.jpg

Am I really the only one who thinks that cars lowered to this extent look a bit ridiculous? I sort of like the alloys though and white's always good. :D

And Ash, awesome car ;)

Id best keep quite as i work for direct line lol, if you do thats its fronted risk and the insurance would be invalid and with them your not allowed any mods if your under 25.