Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mk1 Focus Fan Problem

nick.sheffcity

Hi all ive got a problem with the cooling fan on my mk1 1.6 focus.the problem is when i start the car within 5-10 seconds the cooling fan comes on and stays on (even from a cold start)ive done the usual oil and coolant checks and there both fine and pretty sure its not overheating as when you turn the car off the fans go off straight away.

one thing i have noticed though is if ive been driving the car for a while and the engine temp is allready at its running temperature and then start the car the temp needle sits halfway on the speedo as it should,but after the 5-10 seconds it drops to zero then the fan kicks in.

im guessing its maybe temperature sensor thats faulty but not too sure where it is or if it is even that.

thanks in advance

ive just checked the dtc codes and the 1 that has come up is dtc 073 SCP Invalid or missing data for engine coolant if thats any help

Gonna state the obvious so sorry if I sound like I am insulating your intelligence but you can set the temperature and fan speed dials to a certain position that will cause the engine fan to be on constantly, I think they are coloured orange on the dials, took me a while to work out why when the other half was driving the car the fan was always on.

Gonna state the obvious so sorry if I sound like I am insulating your intelligence but you can set the temperature and fan speed dials to a certain position that will cause the engine fan to be on constantly, I think they are coloured orange on the dials, took me a while to work out why when the other half was driving the car the fan was always on.

the interior fan settings have nothing to do with the engine fan unless you have aircon so setting the interior dials will do nothing for the fan at all if youres does then you clearly have a fault somewhere i can assure you ive driven no car where the interior fan setting had anything to do with the car fan running the engine fan is set on a sensor it cuts in at 98 degrees and cools the temp down to 93/94 degrees usually and is independant of the interior settings however if you have aircon its linked to the system and used to cool the air

litle bit of an update for you. after i drove home from work today i decided to have a play with the secret menu on the dash as i found out it has a bit for reading the cylinder head temp sensor. when i start the car it was sat at 105c then after the 5 to 10 second wait it jumps to 215c on the digital dash,whilst the temp neadle drops to zero and the fans kick in (i imagine this must be like a cooling safe mode)

so its looking more likely that it is the temp sensor than anything else, so going to change that thursday and ill let you know how i get on

litle bit of an update for you. after i drove home from work today i decided to have a play with the secret menu on the dash as i found out it has a bit for reading the cylinder head temp sensor. when i start the car it was sat at 105c then after the 5 to 10 second wait it jumps to 215c on the digital dash,whilst the temp neadle drops to zero and the fans kick in (i imagine this must be like a cooling safe mode)

so its looking more likely that it is the temp sensor than anything else, so going to change that thursday and ill let you know how i get on

agreed, i will put money on it that its the temp sensor. ive had the exact! same problem happen to me on my old car. eurocarparts have the sensor at a very good price although you will need to check which one your car has as they have 2 listed, £7 and £14 both with free delivery though :)

agreed, i will put money on it that its the temp sensor. ive had the exact! same problem happen to me on my old car. eurocarparts have the sensor at a very good price although you will need to check which one your car has as they have 2 listed, £7 and £14 both with free delivery though smile.gif

ave to agree so it sounds like the sensor is goosed should be a cheap fix as stef said at least the fan works with the weather we had thats a bonus at least better on all the time than never at all

cheers for heads up stef ill call them tomorrow. i have to agree with you artscot about fans being on rather than not at all.just feel daft driving it as it sounds like a harrier jet lol

cheers for heads up stef ill call them tomorrow. i have to agree with you artscot about fans being on rather than not at all.just feel daft driving it as it sounds like a harrier jet lol

no problem, if you can get the part number from the original sensor they will be able to cross reference this to make sure you get the right one, good bunch all the same though.

just thought id let you know managed to change temp sensor yesterday and alls back working fine now. quick 5 mins job and it was done.

just thought id let you know managed to change temp sensor yesterday and alls back working fine now. quick 5 mins job and it was done.

glad to hear now bluetba knows what he needs to change on his car as well

glad to hear now bluetba knows what he needs to change on his car as well

its worth a try if he's having same trouble mate.only advice id give him is if you are getting a new 1 take the old 1 out for part number as there was 3 different ones listed for mine under reg so needed part number to be sure :)

2016874.jpgNear Miss!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club