• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 colawarsveteran

colawarsveteran

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: 98 Fiesta 1.25L 16V LX

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

I am not considering buying part worns, however i have noticed that there as several nice and cheap brands. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using nexens or such like. And crucially, how long do they last compared with regular tyres like firestones, etc.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130
  • Year: 2006

Posted 24 May 2010 - 03:09 PM

all tyres have a tread wear number on the sidewall, the scale is 100-500,the lower the number the greater the wear,michlins come at 220 so this will give you a comparison on cheaper brands.

#3 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,808 posts
  • Name: Stefan
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:01 PM

all tyres have a tread wear number on the sidewall, the scale is 100-500,the lower the number the greater the wear,michlins come at 220 so this will give you a comparison on cheaper brands.

hi mintalkin, is that the lower the number the greater the wear rate or the lower the number the greater the wear resistance?

cheers
stef

#4 mintalkin

mintalkin

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • Name: mintalkin
  • Ford Model: mondeo tdci 130

Posted 24 May 2010 - 06:53 PM

A tyre graded 200 would wear twice as long on the government test track as one graded 100.

#5 fiesta_lad

fiesta_lad

Area Rep: Northwest

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts
  • Ford Model: fiesta mk5
Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I am not considering buying part worns, however i have noticed that there as several nice and cheap brands. I was wondering if anyone had any experience of using nexens or such like. And crucially, how long do they last compared with regular tyres like firestones, etc.

Ive got a part worn on my car and its the best paid 15 and got a michelin alpin all weather tyre it was that new you could still see the coloured lines on it.

#6 calmcdermott

calmcdermott

Area Rep: Northeast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Name: Callum
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta ST500
  • Year: 2008

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:56 PM

Iv always bought cheap tyres, nowt wrong with em, just makes road noise a lil louder.

#7 colawarsveteran

colawarsveteran

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 09:55 PM

I have to say i am really impressed with the efficiency of people helping me with this, cheers. I wasn't expecting such a lot of help - this is my first topic.

#8 colawarsveteran

colawarsveteran

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:00 PM

A tyre graded 200 would wear twice as long on the government test track as one graded 100.

I've had a look at my current tyres and there doesn't seem to be this number. Just the tyre size and a bunch of stuff about max pressures etc

#9 calmcdermott

calmcdermott

Area Rep: Northeast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • Name: Callum
  • Ford Model: Ford Fiesta ST500
  • Year: 2008

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:29 PM

I've had a look at my current tyres and there doesn't seem to be this number. Just the tyre size and a bunch of stuff about max pressures etc

Thats the good thing about this forum, people like to help each other out and are even friendlier face to face! Glad your happy with the responses

#10 _ZS_

_ZS_

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo 1.8LX
Posted 28 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

Really cheap tyres like Linglong, Sunny, Kingstar, Event, Triangle and the like are a false economy. They wear quicker, they often fail prematurely, or they're dangerous in wet weather.

I wouldn't go any cheaper than Kumho or Hankook, IE a mid-range tyre.

Personally I use Bridgestone, mostly the Turanza ER300. I've seen 40k out of a pair on the FRONT of a car (Mk4 Astra). 70 for a Bridgestone that lasts 40k, or two sets of Woosung Ditchfinders at 35 that only last 20k, and have considerably less grip.

My housemate nearly died about a year ago when one of the dealer fitted Triangle tyres blew out on a wet motorway and set him in to a spin which he couldn't control. He's pretty sure if he had have any sort of grip from the remaining 3 tyres, he could have avoided his 1500degree spin, and not taken out the motorway lamp post and 50m of armco. Ironically he was booked in to the local tyre fitter the next morning for a full set of Firestones.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users