Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speedo Goes To Zero Any Advice?

bex51focus

hi ive got a 51 plate focus, 1.6 zetec. ever since i got it the speedo keeps dropping to zero it is happening more and more but then sometimes wont happen for few days. i have read and heard that ford focus`s do have problems with the dash. any advice on what to do. was going to have new vehicle speed sensor fitted last week but garage said it wont necessarily fix the problem, so didnt have it done. it is only the speedo that drops the radio volume also goes lower too. but no other gauges drop. pls help shed some light on what i can do. thanks.

The focus has a AVL feature I think its called Auto Volume leveling, but thats linked to speed, sounds like its not being picked up at the gearbox...

Your problem is the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) which you need to replace ASAP, I have heard of horror stories where the car will just cut out one day and you lose all the power, I had this problem on my Focus Zetec, I think it is a cheap fix as well and if you confident with a spanner then you should be ok to replace this yourself.

Davy

hi i was going to get it done last week for 70 quid, but the garage said it most probably wont fix the problem as they have had problems with the dash and only ford can fix it for 300 quid. not sure what to do dont want to pay 70quid and it dont fix it. it apparently something to do with the lead in the solder used when the speedo unit was made. any more advice?

hi i was going to get it done last week for 70 quid, but the garage said it most probably wont fix the problem as they have had problems with the dash and only ford can fix it for 300 quid. not sure what to do dont want to pay 70quid and it dont fix it. it apparently something to do with the lead in the solder used when the speedo unit was made. any more advice?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I have had both problems ie; problems with the DASH and problems with the VSS.

My car is a 03 Focus 1.6 Ghia (petrol)

The problem with the dash seems to effect this year mainly, and the prolems I had with it were not confined to just the speedo, and were caused by corrosion of the VIAs on the printed circuit board starting to corrode.

The problem with the VSS and the thing I think is most likely your problem, will effect the speedo and the radio, in my case both would suddenly increase then drop back down again to normal.

The reason the radio increases is because the VSS sends a signal to the ECU which in turn sends a control signal to the radio's volume control circuit, the idea being the faster the car goes the more road noise etc; is generated so the radios volume is turned up to compensate, and vise-versa.

The VSS is not a big job to replace but it is slightly difficult to get at.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Techy7.

Hi,

I have had both problems ie; problems with the DASH and problems with the VSS.

My car is a 03 Focus 1.6 Ghia (petrol)

The problem with the dash seems to effect this year mainly, and the prolems I had with it were not confined to just the speedo, and were caused by corrosion of the VIAs on the printed circuit board starting to corrode.

The problem with the VSS and the thing I think is most likely your problem, will effect the speedo and the radio, in my case both would suddenly increase then drop back down again to normal.

The reason the radio increases is because the VSS sends a signal to the ECU which in turn sends a control signal to the radio's volume control circuit, the idea being the faster the car goes the more road noise etc; is generated so the radios volume is turned up to compensate, and vise-versa.

The VSS is not a big job to replace but it is slightly difficult to get at.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Techy7.

you can get the cluster repolaced for 99 quid including labour if its faulty

you can get the cluster repolaced for 99 quid including labour if its faulty

Hi artscot79,

Thanks for the info.

Yes I am aware that I could get the cluster replaced for £99, but I had taken my cluster out and repaired it before all the publicity on television (Watchdog, RAC Forum etc;) and it has been okay since.

I was also concerned about the mileage being incorrect after a new cluster has been fitted.

I did take photographs just as a mattetr of interest.

Regards,

Techy7.

Do you also lose power when speedo goes to zero

Do you also lose power when speedo goes to zero

Hi alz,

No I did not lose power.

Regards,

TECHY7.

P.S. Sorry alz not sure if you were asking me as your question appeared in my Inbox. If you were not I apologize.

TECHY7.

• 5 years later...

Have been told that this fault may also be due to faulty earthing problems. Apparantly, there are several earthing points on the Focus which should all be cleaned up. This could solve the problem.

I currently have this problem, and my speedo will suddenly drop to zero. Once it does this, I know that the next time I slow down quickly/stop, the engine will cut out.

The rest of the dash cluster works fine!

I have cleaned up the earthing strips next to the battery, and the problem still exists, although not so often, but don't know where to find the remaining earthing points to clean them up also.

Can anybody help!!!

Am going to get the speed sensor changed this week, so at least I'll know its not it that's causing the problem, if it still exists after replacement.

When this happened to my 04 focus I replaced the VSS and it didn't fix it. Ended up needing the ignition coil replaced, after that it worked fine.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club