• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Greg

Phil Greg

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Ford Model: 2004 Focus 1.8 petrol

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:56 PM

I have a ford focus 1.8 with rear disk brakes. At low speeds I get a rotational rubbing/thumping sound that seems to come from the rear, can't tell which side. This speeds up as the car does. Sometimes it goes away. I have replaced the discs and pads but no difference. There is no play in the bearing I can detect and when I rotate wheel by hand no tight spots. I suspect it could be caused by handbreak not releasing properly or the caliper piston being stuck. Could this be a bearing? What else could it be?

Thanks for any help

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,270 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:00 PM

I have a ford focus 1.8 with rear disk brakes. At low speeds I get a rotational rubbing/thumping sound that seems to come from the rear, can't tell which side. This speeds up as the car does. Sometimes it goes away. I have replaced the discs and pads but no difference. There is no play in the bearing I can detect and when I rotate wheel by hand no tight spots. I suspect it could be caused by handbreak not releasing properly or the caliper piston being stuck. Could this be a bearing? What else could it be?

Thanks for any help

sounds to me like you have a seized caliper? could also be the handbrake not releasing properly. did you lubricate the sliding pins on the calipers when you changed the discs/pads?

#3 Phil Greg

Phil Greg

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 04:05 PM

sounds to me like you have a seized caliper? could also be the handbrake not releasing properly. did you lubricate the sliding pins on the calipers when you changed the discs/pads?

I'm begining to think that could be it, one of the pistons was quite hard to screw back in. The sliders seemed ok. What could stop the hand break from releasing? Is there anything that can be done to unseize the caliper?

#4 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,270 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 06 June 2010 - 09:28 PM

I'm begining to think that could be it, one of the pistons was quite hard to screw back in. The sliders seemed ok. What could stop the hand break from releasing? Is there anything that can be done to unseize the caliper?

if it was hard to screw back in that could indicate a seized handbrake mechanism inside as thats what your rewinding.
i think the only way to unseize the caliper would be to strip and rebuild it or replace it with a second hand one or recon one.

#5 Phil Greg

Phil Greg

• Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:47 PM

if it was hard to screw back in that could indicate a seized handbrake mechanism inside as thats what your rewinding.
i think the only way to unseize the caliper would be to strip and rebuild it or replace it with a second hand one or recon one.

Thanks

I'll look into it and let you know when I've found out.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users