Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Warning Lights on S-Max

Jamie Badman

Hi,

I received my S-Max from Ford Direct a week ago. I love the car so far except that over the last two days some worrying lights have appeared on the dash, intermittently.

The lights are the red circle with the exclamation light in the centre, with the 'brackets' around it. The manual says this means possible brake failure.

Then I get the amber 'ESP' 'car skidding' symbol lighting up in the oval panel at the top of the dash and also the amber 'ESP' symbol.

When these occur, I can pull to the roadside, turn the car on and off and they disappear for a while, only to appear again later on.

Does anyone know what this could all indicate?

I was under the impression that a car from Ford Direct was well maintained and had been thoroughly checked before being sold so I'm upset that I'm finding faults appear already, just eight days in.

Also, if these are brake problems then should I be driving the car at all? I spoke with the sales guy who sold me the car and he suggested I drive it back to the showroom (about 15 miles away); I asked him if he thought it was a good idea, the lights indicating a potential brake issue. He suggested Ford Direct roadside assistance could tow it to the garage - but is that appropriate? I really don't know. And of course, if I lose the car for a while I'll need a courtesy car or else I'll be stranded - so having the car towed back puts me in a difficult situation.

I really like the S-Max but I'm absolutely gutted about getting problems already. Makes me wonder if I've made a mistake buying a Ford again (had an old Mondeo years back that was terrible).

Can anyone suggest my best course of action?

I think I *can* switch it for another Ford Direct car within 30 days - except three days back my wife scratched one of the alloys slightly on a curb - so is it now invalid for the Ford Direct swap because of this? Problems, problems.

Thanks,

Jamie.

its most likely to be an abs sensor fault or a footbrake sensor fault, any could throw up the lights. as for driving it back do the brakes feel efficent enough to it.as for the dealer if you dont get satisfaction reject the car it should have been checked before you got it.

• 4 months later...
its most likely to be an abs sensor fault or a footbrake sensor fault, any could throw up the lights. as for driving it back do the brakes feel efficent enough to it.as for the dealer if you dont get satisfaction reject the car it should have been checked before you got it.

Did you get this sorted?

The S-Max does have a very small problem with some ABS modules.

Rgds,

Landman

Your esp system has a separate computer to control the system and should not be a braking problem. this esp system is tied into wheel sensors, steering sensors and i would think it would be a fault with that system prob just a sensor.It does use the brakes to control the skid and the esp system may be bringing up a fault in the abs ecu :unsure: sorry about your bad luck suppose theres always someone who finds a fault with anycar! give the dealer a chance to sort it. there computer should find a fault code if a sensor is faulty.

good luck and DONT sell it ! they have come along way since the mk1 mondeo :P

Hi,

I received my S-Max from Ford Direct a week ago. I love the car so far except that over the last two days some worrying lights have appeared on the dash, intermittently.

The lights are the red circle with the exclamation light in the centre, with the 'brackets' around it. The manual says this means possible brake failure.

Then I get the amber 'ESP' 'car skidding' symbol lighting up in the oval panel at the top of the dash and also the amber 'ESP' symbol.

When these occur, I can pull to the roadside, turn the car on and off and they disappear for a while, only to appear again later on.

Does anyone know what this could all indicate?

I was under the impression that a car from Ford Direct was well maintained and had been thoroughly checked before being sold so I'm upset that I'm finding faults appear already, just eight days in.

Also, if these are brake problems then should I be driving the car at all? I spoke with the sales guy who sold me the car and he suggested I drive it back to the showroom (about 15 miles away); I asked him if he thought it was a good idea, the lights indicating a potential brake issue. He suggested Ford Direct roadside assistance could tow it to the garage - but is that appropriate? I really don't know. And of course, if I lose the car for a while I'll need a courtesy car or else I'll be stranded - so having the car towed back puts me in a difficult situation.

I really like the S-Max but I'm absolutely gutted about getting problems already. Makes me wonder if I've made a mistake buying a Ford again (had an old Mondeo years back that was terrible).

Can anyone suggest my best course of action?

I think I *can* switch it for another Ford Direct car within 30 days - except three days back my wife scratched one of the alloys slightly on a curb - so is it now invalid for the Ford Direct swap because of this? Problems, problems.

Thanks,

Jamie.

Just had this exact same problem, and its down to the abs module apparently and surprise surprise they dont have any abs modules in stock so im having to wait about a week before i get my s max back, appart from that i love my s max and cant wait to get it back.

Just had this exact same problem, and its down to the abs module apparently and surprise surprise they dont have any abs modules in stock so im having to wait about a week before i get my s max back, appart from that i love my s max and cant wait to get it back.

hey sportsman,

I know what you feel, it is a nightmare - a day without the smax.

Unfortunately it is quite often the smax parts are usually not in a dealer's stock. I have been experiencing this myself. More over I have run flat tyres - those no one near me can fit except euromaster, and the prices do really bite. :(

Hopefully you are back on the smax wheels again soon.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club