Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steering Knock

MadMalx

My 03 Focus 1.6 seems to have aquired a knock on the steering. I first noticed it when parking in a tight spot and having the steering on full right-hand lock and it knocked when it reached the 'stop'. Since then, I've noticed that the steering isn't as precise as it used to be and on checking the tyres they had worn on the inside edge. I got the tracking checked but it was apparently fine, but the vagueness is still there and now it will knock when the wheels are straight ahead - more noticeable with the engine off. I can't find any play in either the rack, the track rod ends or anything elseon the front end, so am at a loss to what it can be. The only thing I can think of is a fault in the rack itself, but with there being no obvious 'play' I can't be sure. Can anyone give any suggestions what it might be?

My 03 Focus 1.6 seems to have aquired a knock on the steering. I first noticed it when parking in a tight spot and having the steering on full right-hand lock and it knocked when it reached the 'stop'. Since then, I've noticed that the steering isn't as precise as it used to be and on checking the tyres they had worn on the inside edge. I got the tracking checked but it was apparently fine, but the vagueness is still there and now it will knock when the wheels are straight ahead - more noticeable with the engine off. I can't find any play in either the rack, the track rod ends or anything elseon the front end, so am at a loss to what it can be. The only thing I can think of is a fault in the rack itself, but with there being no obvious 'play' I can't be sure. Can anyone give any suggestions what it might be?

a friens mk1 is exactly the same its been to 5 garages 2 of them ford and the others really good garages and no faults can be found at all they admit there is a noise but have found no reason for this noise including checking the drop links control arms steering rack steering arms heat shields cv joints etc etc etc ford also were at a loss and said its normal the other garages have concluded it must be as they can find no reason for it however im not aware of his doing it straight

try this link if your focus is like this, the only way to fix it is to take it to ford for a new rack, same happend to my sons focus, loads of money spent on recon racks, pumps and labour costs trying to fix, it was no good, went to ford in the end, job was done no more knocking.