Do Not Sell My Personal Information

First Service

Hook

I had the fiesta in for its first service today, and asked the garage to look at a few issues:

1. The passenger reading light has a dodgy connection

2. There's a really loud rattle coming from the cd player unit

3. There's a rattle from the passenger door

4. There's lots of stone chipping on the two rear doors

5. Some of the sound proofing is hanging off in the bonnet.

They told me they 'didn't have time' to look at the rattles and I needed to book it in(which wouldn't be covered by the warrenty - it's only 11 months old, and has done 10k, but needed to get it service before we go away), didn't bother to look at the stone chipping as they said 'Clark & Partners' deal with paint, and apparently the sound proofing was OK hanging off. They haven't fixed the reading light either.

Thanks Lookers Ford, Sheffield.

Is it worth taking it somewhere else? Is it true about the rattles?

Could I potentially open up the dashboard to try and find the rattle around the CD player myself?

Dan

This isn't filling me with confidence for my first service on 30/11/2010!

Im sure you could potentially fix isssue 1,3 & 5 by looking into it as i'd imagine garages will have your eyes out.

As for the stone chipping i have a ridiculous amount of stone chips mostly on the bonnet of my car. It's a 59reg white zetec s with 4.5k miles - surely this shouldn't be this bad for both of us? I head mudflaps help prevent the pickup from your wheels scattering your doors?

Ryan

I had the fiesta in for its first service today, and asked the garage to look at a few issues:

1. The passenger reading light has a dodgy connection

2. There's a really loud rattle coming from the cd player unit

3. There's a rattle from the passenger door

4. There's lots of stone chipping on the two rear doors

5. Some of the sound proofing is hanging off in the bonnet.

They told me they 'didn't have time' to look at the rattles and I needed to book it in(which wouldn't be covered by the warrenty - it's only 11 months old, and has done 10k, but needed to get it service before we go away), didn't bother to look at the stone chipping as they said 'Clark & Partners' deal with paint, and apparently the sound proofing was OK hanging off. They haven't fixed the reading light either.

Thanks Lookers Ford, Sheffield.

Is it worth taking it somewhere else? Is it true about the rattles?

Could I potentially open up the dashboard to try and find the rattle around the CD player myself?

Dan

Did you tell them about this list of problems when you booked it in, or when you handed it over? Fixing rattles can take hours, so they need some warning. I'd hope the work would be covered by the warranty if they find something wasn't put together properly (missing screw or trim clip, etc). But if they find an object has found it's way in there (the CD player rattle could be something in the air vents) then you'd end up paying.

If you want to do it yourself it's a lot of work and you'll ruin any chance of then claiming for parts under the warranty (e.g. if the CD player is broken). You'll need some proper plastic trim removal tools and some Torx screwdrivers. Don't try removing the trim with a screwdriver - you'll just break or scratch something. To get to the CD unit, you need to remove the top binnacle (with the screen) - which is held on by 4 trim clips. Then you can remove the silver vent/switch panel which has 2 screws at the top, and 5 clips (1 centre, 2 top, 2 bottom under the lower hinged cover which you need to open). Have a good look inside the air vents. TBH there isn't much that could be loose behind there - it could be the CD mechanism which is not realistic to fix yourself. Does the CD player work and does it still rattle with a CD in?

Removing the door cards has been mentioned in other threads. There isn't much behind the card that could rattle (maybe a loose tweeter). Removing the inner card is a pain as the window is fixed to it. Does the rattle go away with the window down? Take the speaker off to look behind the inner card (use a torch and mirror, or take some photos) to see if anything is loose (e.g. the window mechanism) or some foreign object has got in there (e.g. an extra screw left in).

The easiest one is the under-bonnet deadener. It's just clipped on, so as long as the clips are still there just push them back in their holes until they go firmly home. If they're missing you can buy them from the dealer or eBay.

Stone chipping isn't really a manufacture problem. All you can do is touch it up and fit mudflaps so it's less likely to happen again.

-Antony.

Did you tell them about this list of problems when you booked it in, or when you handed it over? Fixing rattles can take hours, so they need some warning. I'd hope the work would be covered by the warranty if they find something wasn't put together properly (missing screw or trim clip, etc). But if they find an object has found it's way in there (the CD player rattle could be something in the air vents) then you'd end up paying.

If you want to do it yourself it's a lot of work and you'll ruin any chance of then claiming for parts under the warranty (e.g. if the CD player is broken). You'll need some proper plastic trim removal tools and some Torx screwdrivers. Don't try removing the trim with a screwdriver - you'll just break or scratch something. To get to the CD unit, you need to remove the top binnacle (with the screen) - which is held on by 4 trim clips. Then you can remove the silver vent/switch panel which has 2 screws at the top, and 5 clips (1 centre, 2 top, 2 bottom under the lower hinged cover which you need to open). Have a good look inside the air vents. TBH there isn't much that could be loose behind there - it could be the CD mechanism which is not realistic to fix yourself. Does the CD player work and does it still rattle with a CD in?

Removing the door cards has been mentioned in other threads. There isn't much behind the card that could rattle (maybe a loose tweeter). Removing the inner card is a pain as the window is fixed to it. Does the rattle go away with the window down? Take the speaker off to look behind the inner card (use a torch and mirror, or take some photos) to see if anything is loose (e.g. the window mechanism) or some foreign object has got in there (e.g. an extra screw left in).

The easiest one is the under-bonnet deadener. It's just clipped on, so as long as the clips are still there just push them back in their holes until they go firmly home. If they're missing you can buy them from the dealer or ebay.

Stone chipping isn't really a manufacture problem. All you can do is touch it up and fit mudflaps so it's less likely to happen again.

-Antony.

You need to be made VERY AWARE of the minimal warranty cover Ford give for anything they can describe as "TRIM". This has just 12 months of cover. You need to get a formal letter of complaint on these issues sent to the dealership/Dealer Principal/ Ford Customer Services BEFORE your 12 months expire, or your goose is cooked. I would be inclined to use a solicitor, and certainly recorged delivery, and Email the details also to these people, to have a record of complaint, which will give continued attention to these problems. Only Ford, as far as I know, has this measly attitude, and fail to make customers aware of it. You may still be able to take out the extended Ford warranty, within 12 months:-- may be worth looking at the conditions and cover.

Look I don't mean 2 stick up for the big company cos believe me I have had my fair share of hassle from ford, however in this case I think its a bit premature 2 start talking about solicitors etc. As the person in an earlier post said, did th OP mention his problems prior 2 the service? Of course if they can get out of repairing or replacing under warranty that's what they will do but if u had issues y didn't u take the car in sooner when there was no doubt over warranty?

stone chipping is caused by one thing only...

you are following the car in front too closely.

seriously, i've drastically changed my driving style since moving over to a dog slow diesel and am way more submissive when it comes to motorway driving, simply because i don't carry the speed i used to in previous more 'sporty' cars. maintaining more than the 2 chevron approach to the car in front keeps the chips down. also reading the road in front helps, i.e. if its gravely/poor road surfacing i'll slow or increase the gap. oh and slowing to a crawl (where safe to do so) when a gritter passes. cringeworthy moments they are :(

a thick coat of wax will only help not prevent chipping, i find that this marginally cuts down on te surrounding area to a chip getting worn away or rusty if an older car.

failing that, maybe you could consider a bonnet bra if you are doing lots of motorway driving.

the other problems i think you'll have a lot of trouble getting ford dealership to address as they are quick to sell you a car butvery slow to cater for warranty issues.

i've never really heard of a dealership willing to take blame for rattles and the like. shame i know.

seriously, i've drastically changed my driving style since moving over to a dog slow diesel and am way more submissive when it comes to motorway driving, simply because i don't carry the speed i used to in previous more 'sporty' cars. maintaining more than the 2 chevron approach to the car in front keeps the chips down. also reading the road in front helps, i.e. if its gravely/poor road surfacing i'll slow or increase the gap. oh and slowing to a crawl (where safe to do so) when a gritter passes. cringeworthy moments they are :(

a thick coat of wax will only help not prevent chipping, i find that this marginally cuts down on te surrounding area to a chip getting worn away or rusty if an older car.

failing that, maybe you could consider a bonnet bra if you are doing lots of motorway driving.

the other problems i think you'll have a lot of trouble getting ford dealership to address as they are quick to sell you a car butvery slow to cater for warranty issues.

i've never really heard of a dealership willing to take blame for rattles and the like. shame i know.

HONDA dealers take customer complaints VERY seriously, especially creaks and rattles, and things that will make you turn to another brand for your next car. They expect to benefit from brand-loyalty, and give feedback to Honda when they root-out a problem. After-all, the Japanese customers vote with their feet when presented with a dud product, and they DID once have a Chinese-built Honda that was a disaster. Honda sent in their Q.A. engineers, and more than just the Jazz is built there now, and sent to Europe, but the U.K. customers objected to the prospect of Chinese-built Jazz cars coming here. Since the World economy crunch, Honda have decided to manufacture the Jazz in the U.K., but maybe the weak pound has something to do with that, and the strong Yen.

Had rattles in my old MK7 and they took the car in, gave me a courtesy car, road tested my MK7, found the rattles bought clips in and booked it in again to fix it.

HONDA dealers take customer complaints VERY seriously, especially creaks and rattles, and things that will make you turn to another brand for your next car. They expect to benefit from brand-loyalty, and give feedback to Honda when they root-out a problem. After-all, the Japanese customers vote with their feet when presented with a dud product, and they DID once have a Chinese-built Honda that was a disaster. Honda sent in their Q.A. engineers, and more than just the Jazz is built there now, and sent to Europe, but the U.K. customers objected to the prospect of Chinese-built Jazz cars coming here. Since the World economy crunch, Honda have decided to manufacture the Jazz in the U.K., but maybe the weak pound has something to do with that, and the strong Yen.

yeah but people forget, ford is not a premium brand. honda is far more 'prestige' than ford as a brand, and you pay for that privillege, so yea you get that service when you go in their dealerships.

when i went into toyota for some celica bits and problems i was shocked at how nicely i was treated compared to the ford dealership down the road. it was amazing, but you pay for it with ridiculously high prices for servicing.

stone chipping is a problem on early Mk7s at the lower rear of the doors, ( rear doors on the 5 door model), the newer Mk7s have a small strip of sticky plastic at this point to minimse stone chips, but i dont think it can be retro fitted :(

yeah but people forget, ford is not a premium brand. honda is far more 'prestige' than ford as a brand, and you pay for that privillege, so yea you get that service when you go in their dealerships.

when i went into toyota for some celica bits and problems i was shocked at how nicely i was treated compared to the ford dealership down the road. it was amazing, but you pay for it with ridiculously high prices for servicing.

My wife and I have had many Toyotas, and servicing was no dearer than FORD, and the workshop foreman was responsive to requests for skimming the disks/cleaning the callipers, and water-pump leakage was picked-up fast by their mechanic, and I noticed the leak at the radiator header-tank, so it was replaced at the same visit as the pump.

Trade-in deals at Toyota have been easily as good as anywhere else. (P.S., My Ford dealer also holds the Honda, Jaguar, Mazda, and Range Rover franchises, in Inverness.)

My wife and I have had many Toyotas, and servicing was no dearer than FORD, and the workshop foreman was responsive to requests for skimming the disks/cleaning the callipers, and water-pump leakage was picked-up fast by their mechanic, and I noticed the leak at the radiator header-tank, so it was replaced at the same visit as the pump.

Trade-in deals at Toyota have been easily as good as anywhere else. (P.S., My Ford dealer also holds the Honda, Jaguar, Mazda, and Range Rover franchises, in Inverness.)

well you must have a good one then, as the local branch of ford here is Heartlands, they're servicing is pricey. The Celica was in for a 60k service whish was close to £500, which i never went with, i paid just shy of £300 at an independant garage. i've never heard of a fiesta service costing £500 so yeah toyota servicing is more expensive.

maybe you ony had an aygo or a yaris, thats probably why. the engine in the GT was on a par with that of the fiesta st i had performance wise, and the cost to maintain the two could not be any more different. i ran the st being a student in my 1st, 2nd and half of my 3rd year at uni. that includes buying the car. for the last half of the 3rd year i had the celica gt and man alive i couldn't afford the fuel nor the upcoming 60k service. i managed to get the parts cheap through eBay and the garage charged just labour. i miss my ST, but hopefully servicing for the zetec s is on par or below that of the ST.

anyway, back on topic...

The easiest one is the under-bonnet deadener. It's just clipped on, so as long as the clips are still there just push them back in their holes until they go firmly home. If they're missing you can buy them from the dealer or ebay.

-Antony.

Antony,

They were informed about the problems before service. If they'd told me they couldn't do it, then I wouldn't mind, but they didn't tell me until after I'd gone to pick it up.

Thanks for the info about the under-bonnet deadener, I'll try clip it back on.

As for the stone chipping, I've got mudflaps and have had them since I bought the car. There is an issue with stone chipping on the rear arches. See the posts below.

You need to be made VERY AWARE of the minimal warranty cover Ford give for anything they can describe as "TRIM". This has just 12 months of cover. You need to get a formal letter of complaint on these issues sent to the dealership/Dealer Principal/ Ford Customer Services BEFORE your 12 months expire, or your goose is cooked. I would be inclined to use a solicitor, and certainly recorged delivery, and Email the details also to these people, to have a record of complaint, which will give continued attention to these problems. Only Ford, as far as I know, has this measly attitude, and fail to make customers aware of it. You may still be able to take out the extended Ford warranty, within 12 months:-- may be worth looking at the conditions and cover.

That's one reason I want to get it sorted asap :)

Rubbish. Where the stone chips are has nothing to do with following the car in front closely enough.

stone chipping is a problem on early Mk7s at the lower rear of the doors, ( rear doors on the 5 door model), the newer Mk7s have a small strip of sticky plastic at this point to minimse stone chips, but i dont think it can be retro fitted :(

Indeed, there's more info in this thread here. http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=9831

Antony,

They were informed about the problems before service. If they'd told me they couldn't do it, then I wouldn't mind, but they didn't tell me until after I'd gone to pick it up.

Thanks for the info about the under-bonnet deadener, I'll try clip it back on.

As for the stone chipping, I've got mudflaps and have had them since I bought the car. There is an issue with stone chipping on the rear arches. See the posts below.

That's one reason I want to get it sorted asap smile.gif

Rubbish. Where the stone chips are has nothing to do with following the car in front closely enough.

Indeed, there's more info in this thread here. http://www.fordowner...?showtopic=9831

where are they then?

where are they then?

On the motorway, keeping distance helps for stone chips, but you are at the mercy of other drivers. No matter how far behind you are, if stones are flicked up high (and they often are), what can you do? Let alone the stones and debris from the opposite carriageway and other cars changing lane in front of you.

Other stone chipping is an issue around front and rear wheel arches on recent Fords.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club