Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bp Utimate Petrol

calmcdermott

Put £40 of BP's ultimate petrol in on sat, tell you what its woth the extra 10p a litre the fiesta flies with it and makes you have more confidence with over taking as it no longer feels sluggish and is more responsive, has anyone else noticed this?

Put £40 of BP's ultimate petrol in on sat, tell you what its woth the extra 10p a litre the fiesta flies with it and makes you have more confidence with over taking as it no longer feels sluggish and is more responsive, has anyone else noticed this?

I have heard the same about Shell V-MAX, petrol AND diesel, but it only gets disributed about 200 miles radius from the refinery. That is why I use "FORTE" brand fuel additive, as a system cleaner, particularly noticable on diesels, and they do 2 grades for petrols,-- one for modern ford engines, and the older zetec engines with the sticky-valve problems have a special version. £8.50 + VaT for enough to slug into a car tank. My piano tuner put 2 bottles into his Merc sprinter van, with 85,000 miles on it, and was well impressed with it.

(The V-MAX was recommended by the manager of our local Ford Dealership, and he used to do racing in a junior Formula, in his youth. Also, my Son tried it and did notice an improvement with his SEAT IBIZA 1.2,-- quite unlike him, as he is non-technical.)

If a car has a knock sensor then it should gain from higher grade fuel. Basically, in the engine, it operates under compression, lower grade fuel can pre-detonate (i.e. explode before the spark), this lowers the engine power output because not everything will always fire at the right time. Engines with knock sensors can also lower the power output to avoid the pre-detonation.

With higher grade fuels, you dont get the pre-detonation, and you also get slightly more energy in the same qty of fuel (i.e. a litre of 97 should have more energy than a litre of 95).

So enough with the geek stuff, it does actually make some difference. Tesco do a 99 RON fuel which is awesomely good, I tried it in my Fiesta a few times, it ran a bit smoother but that was all. Trying it in my bike does make a difference - it will then very easily power wheelie in 2nd gear, which it doesnt do as well on 95.

I tried 102 on it at a trackday (was a BP fuel) and that was the same jump again.

i didn't notice a difference maybe due to a small engine but, my dad was sayin how much a difference it makes, he was putting regular petrol in the xkr and it was good then he put BP ultimate in and it flew apparently... so i think the bigger the engine the more effects you see

he was putting regular petrol in the xkr and it was good then he put BP ultimate in and it flew apparently... so i think the bigger the engine the more effects you see

The XKR is a performance engine and does have knock sensors, because its such a big engine the difference in BHP could be quite big, it'll also smoothen the engine out so it will be noticeable.

My ST Runs a bit better i find, using V-Power now im getting better MPG and better acceleration!

I was reliably informed 2 years ago, when I bought my new '58 reg Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.25, that humble versions of Fords are not fitted with knock-sensors, so high octane is a shear waste, as incomplete combustion occurs, sooting up the lambda probe and Cat. That is why I just use "FORTE" system cleaner. I would not be surprised if VAG fit a knock sensor to My Son's IBIZA 1.2. Even in the days of the NSU PRINZ 4L, that 600 cc 2-cylinder engine could take 2-star, but would run better on 4-star, as stated in my handbook. (For young readers, Audi rose out of the ashes of NSU, which was bankrupted by developing the Wankel engine for the prestige car, the NSU RO80. Audi engineers also took VW, who bought them, beyond the flat-four beetle era, first with the K70, and then the Audi 90, and 100. The engines, fitted longways in Audis, fitted nicely in the VW Golf Mk1, east-west.)

If you get your Ford "chipped", it can be set-up for high octane, using proper rolling-road & diagnostics gear. I won't be bothering with just 1.25 litres.

Hi

Is the 1.4 96ps engine fitted with knock sensors.

If no why do they bother fitting them to the 1.6 120

I get worse mpg if i use 99octane tesco petrol in my fiesta (See signature)

Jamie

excuse my ignorance, so the 1.6 120psi has knock sensors?

Not sure about the fezzie's but my swift sport is only run on tesco 99, i had to do fill up with bogo unleaded once and i could sure feel the difference but having said that my swift does have a knock sensor and slap bang in the middle of the fuel cap it has 98 ron with 95 ron in ickle letters by the side lol.

If the fezzi doesn't have a knock sensor it is a waste of money using anything other than regular unleaded.

excuse my ignorance, so the 1.6 120psi has knock sensors?

This Ti-VCT engine very likely does have such a sensor;-- it is an improved version of a 115 PS Ti-VCT 1.6 fitted to the Focus, as an option to the standard 100PS/99BHP 1.6, which has seen service in the Focus, and the old Fiesta. I would not expect to find a knock sensor on the 99BHP engine, and high octane fuel will give poor MPG in engines designed for slow-burning fuel. After-all high octane petrol is used so that the ignition timing can be advanced, giving a longer burn-time, and more power. Without changing the timing of the spark, fuel consumption will increase, and the soot on the lambda probe will result in duf readings being fed back to the ECU which controls fuelling, and can hole your catalyst.

Check with Ford about the knock-sensor, and if it IS fitted to the latest 1.4 96PS engine, fine.

By the way, my Wife's Aygo can take 98 RON, and there is a label to this effect at the fuel-filler. "SIMPLES!!"

• 8 months later...

Sorry to dig up this thread but it may answer a question I and a few others have been wanting to know regarding putting super unleaded in a Petrol Zetec S

The extract is going on about the 115ps Ti-Vct in the focus and how it is better than the old 99ps unit.

As the 120ps unit is the same engine with a little more power this extract cxould apply to it too ??

Doesn't look like the non Ti-VCT engines have knock sensors though but im not sure.

Take a read ....

Ti-VCT TECHNOLOGY FOR THE 1.6-LITRE DURATEC

The 100 PS Duratec 1.6-litre petrol engine that forms the heartland choice for many buyers has been enhanced with the addition of Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing. The engine is engineered for greater torque at higher engine speeds and a significant power increase of 15 PS – yet with a reduction in fuel consumption of about 5 per cent.

A redesigned cam cover houses Ford’s VCT bridge, which is mounted to the front assembly. The vane-type variable cam system enables the oil pressure to be optimised at all engine speeds. It has a shifting range of 50 degrees on the intake side, and 45 degrees on the exhaust side, and at low engine speed the engine control unit (ECU) leaves the cams in their default position, which guarantees good starting. Once engine speed increases, two oil-flow control valves adjust the cam timing for higher airflow. The engine delivers 155 Nm of torque at 4,150 rpm, and 115 PS of power at 6,000 rpm.

Other upgrades to the engine include high-lift camshafts and pistons with indented pockets to allow for sufficient valve clearance. Unlike simply bolting a ‘hot cam’ to the Duratec Ti-VCT, the robustness of the unit has been paramount. Engine knock sensors, revised intake ports and a new equal track length intake manifold add efficiency, reliability and have been tuned to optimise sound quality. The 100 PS version of this engine remains in the range.

Taken from

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/ford/2007-ford-focus-ar18870.html

IMO the high octane stuff does make the Ti-VCT run alot smoother and is some cases with a great performance.

I tend to use V Power every other refill when possible. But that will become a rarity as the fuel prices continue to sore. Unleaded is set to be 1.40 before April :(

I was reliably informed 2 years ago, when I bought my new '58 reg Fiesta Zetec Climate 1.25, that humble versions of Fords are not fitted with knock-sensors, so high octane is a shear waste, as incomplete combustion occurs, sooting up the lambda probe and Cat. That is why I just use "FORTE" system cleaner. I would not be surprised if VAG fit a knock sensor to My Son's IBIZA 1.2. Even in the days of the NSU PRINZ 4L, that 600 cc 2-cylinder engine could take 2-star, but would run better on 4-star, as stated in my handbook. (For young readers, Audi rose out of the ashes of NSU, which was bankrupted by developing the Wankel engine for the prestige car, the NSU RO80. Audi engineers also took VW, who bought them, beyond the flat-four beetle era, first with the K70, and then the Audi 90, and 100. The engines, fitted longways in Audis, fitted nicely in the VW Golf Mk1, east-west.)

If you get your Ford "chipped", it can be set-up for high octane, using proper rolling-road & diagnostics gear. I won't be bothering with just 1.25 litres.

Just digressing, nice to see someone mentioning NSU. I had three NSUs, two 1000CS models and a 1200TT. Very underated cars in my opinion,killed off by VW as (better) rivals to the Beetle (I've also had three aircooled Beetles). The very first watercooled car sold as a VW, the K70, actually had 'NSU' stamped on the individual rocker covers! I would say that NSU engineers rather than Audi (I know the company was called Audi-NSU at the time) developed the K70.

IMO the high octane stuff does make the Ti-VCT run alot smoother and is some cases with a great performance.

I tend to use V Power every other refill when possible. But that will become a rarity as the fuel prices continue to sore. Unleaded is set to be 1.40 before April :(

I'd love to put V-Power in all the time but the price of normal unleaded makes me sick never mind V-Power :(

I'm doing an experiment atm with premium diesels. Have used BP Ultimate, Shell V-Power & Total Excellium.

Only 4 tanks in but seeing vast improvement - increased mpg from 53 to 56-58.5.

Even at 1.38 still saving about £2 a tank (or £104 a year for me)

Never noticed much difference between fuels in my ZS. And from what I have seen on various videos/programmes/read about it with 118 bhp for the extra costs I personally dont use anything other than "bog standard" unleaded. I do avoid sainsburys (personally find it give a rougher ride, may just be my interpretation)

also I do over 1,000 miles a month and with 95 ron at 1.31 a litre I cant bring myself to buy anything better even if I wanted to!

Anyone tried the esso supreme stuff (97)? I normally use the esso regular 95, but tried the Shell fuelsave a couple of times and found my mpg actually seemed to go down (though not loads, so may just have been driving style). Car also didn't seem as smooth with it so am avoiding it now! Just wondering if it's worth giving supreme a go for the extra ~6p a litre?

Too true! My babe loves a tipple of v power but it's costing nearly £75 to fill her

I've tried this super fuel stuff, and found no difference at all in MPG or performance. End of the day, the Fiesta is not a performance car, so why put performance fuel in? A Focus ST would love the better fuel - being a performance car, but this is not what a Fiesta is.

I've found the bp ultimate diesel does give slightly better MPG but not enough to justify the difference in cost. It also makes the car run smoother and quieter and it seems to give ever so slightly better throttle response and acceleration, but that my just be a placebo. All in all, it makes a nice treat every now and then, but doesn't go in as a matter of course

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club