Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Steering Leak

sparky19620

hi guy's.i took car out yesterday and lost power steering so had to have car recovered.i have a clip missing from end of boot and fluid peeing out of the end of the o/s rack boot.should oil be in the boot or is it a seal in end of rack thats gone..any help please..

hi guy's.i took car out yesterday and lost power steering so had to have car recovered.i have a clip missing from end of boot and fluid peeing out of the end of the o/s rack boot.should oil be in the boot or is it a seal in end of rack thats gone..any help please..

Hi sparky19620 there should be no fluid in the boots mate you will be looking at a new or reconditiond rack. Dave

thanks dave..any idea whot sort of job it is to do,am pretty good with spanners so no probs there..

have got rack unbolted,does anyone know how the thing comes out.there is a plastic cover thats stopping it and maybe exhaust has to come off...anyone done this before

A good few years back I used to recondition power racks, and the main modern ones at that time were sierra racks, and mostly it was down to numerous circlips, retaining washes, and o-rings. It's quite likely that you could buy the seal kits for the rack, but it would be a pretty hit or miss job as to whether you got it stripped, cleaned sufficiently and reassembled with all the seals intact and uncontaminated... and without a fluid power rig to test it with it would be quite gutting to get it back in situ and fired up only to find a leak still exists.

Recon rack would be my route I reckon. Dunno what they cost these days though.

Cheers!

well a recon rack with 12 months warranty and must say looks brand new never mind recon got from kelly bray steering in devon,a decent bloke to deal with and didnt evn charge me surcharge and i canot recomend this guy enough.He answered all questions i had.As for job what a !Removed!..having spent twenty odd years on spanners and hung em up in 96 i found it alot hrader to do then remember...lol...once i found out an extension piece pinch bolt had to removed from underneath which is not that easy to get to it wasnt to bad...all in all...i would say from start to finish took about 5 hours...after being told front cradle had to be lowered i was well chuffed to find it didnt...i reckon if you know what your doing it coud be done in around two hours maybe a bit more...

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club