Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Engine Noise

Mojoe

hi everybody i have got a 1.6 2002 focus ghia, i get a tapping noise from the engine on start up once warm it disappears, is this the tappets as i have cleaned out the engine with an oil change and flushing additive, it still rattled so i brought an oil additive as i was told i had a hydraulic valve model so unclear i bought a haynes manual and it said i had shims and that is as far as i have got can anyone help.

hi everybody i have got a 1.6 2002 focus ghia, i get a tapping noise from the engine on start up once warm it disappears, is this the tappets as i have cleaned out the engine with an oil change and flushing additive, it still rattled so i brought an oil additive as i was told i had a hydraulic valve model so unclear i bought a haynes manual and it said i had shims and that is as far as i have got can anyone help.

shims i think hydraulic are the old ones thats on the zetec engine not zetec e or se a small tapp is fine remember the oil doesnt flow straight away so once the oils got round the system and lubricated everything up on most cars a slight tap will go away and is normal dont use oil additives the original 5w oil is all you need

hydraulics are post 2000 models the revised zetec-e engine has shims you have the e or se

shims i think hydraulic are the old ones thats on the zetec engine not zetec e or se a small tapp is fine remember the oil doesnt flow straight away so once the oils got round the system and lubricated everything up on most cars a slight tap will go away and is normal dont use oil additives the original 5w oil is all you need

hydraulics are post 2000 models the revised zetec-e engine has shims you have the e or se

are shims newer !! is that the evolution from hydralic tappets??

are shims newer !! is that the evolution from hydralic tappets??

no the tappets stuck on the early models when they were hydraulic this meant special oil had top be used and it was a major issue so they revised the engine to conventional tappets with shims

Early versions of the engine had a problem with sticking valves - far more evident in the UK (and in cold climates), where a driving style with earlier gear changes is more common than on the Continent - unless a special Ford formulation of oil was used. After small changes in 1995 to fix this problem the engine was known as the Zetec-E. This engine received a plastic inlet manifold and EGR derived from the Mondeo.

The Zetec had another redesign in 1998. This version, the Zetec-R, had a two-piece crankcase which helped damp out noise and vibration, conventional tappets with shims rather than hydraulic ones, and longer connecting rods with a lower piston compression height. This engine was used in turbocharged form in the Focus RS and had 212 bhp (dubbed Duratec RS). It was also used in the Focus ST170 with a cylinder head modified by Cosworth with Variable Valve Timing on the inlet cam and had 170 bhp (127 kW; 172 PS).

The Zetec can be identified by having a silver cam cover with DOHC16v on the bottom left, the Zetec-E has ZETEC16v on the bottom left, and the Zetec-R has a black plastic cam cover.

as a result solid shims dont wear the tappets as m uch as hydraulics do if the tappets are making a niose ford have a special tool that allows the shims to be changed with everything still in place so no head stripping

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club