Share Your Car Experience
    • Get Your Club gear
      Get Your Club gear
    • Join Premium & Save
      Join Premium & Save

matt1987

Will This Y-Cable Work?

Hi all

Its been seven months now since I bought my Panther Black Titanium and I have loved every minute of it! I have recently bought an Ipod Touch, and would like to listen to it in the car, aswell as control the menus from my steering wheel! I have the USB option in the car with the Aux in, and as i understand it i have to buy the Ford Y-Cable for roughly £25, which is not on!!!

I came across this on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300443583093#rpdId

Its a fraction of the price, but will it work just the same?

Any help appreciated!

Matt

Let us know how you get on as I'm looking for an alternative to the wire city I have at the moment!

The listing says it's got a 12 month guarantee as well.

Go for it!

I just use an apple ipod cable, which i now seem to have loads of, and a short line-in cable

THis works perfect

Hope this helps

I don't know how the OP got on with this, but I bit the bullet and ordered one which arrived on Saturday morning.. went away for the weekend, so perfect chance to try it out.

In all honestly, what a complete and utter waste of £8!! The sound quality is awful, the 3.5mm cable needs to be hanging out of the socket in order to get the stereo play in stereo and it crackles. Back to my trusty iPod cable and 3.5mm cable set up me thinks!

I don't know how the OP got on with this, but I bit the bullet and ordered one which arrived on Saturday morning.. went away for the weekend, so perfect chance to try it out.

In all honestly, what a complete and utter waste of £8!! The sound quality is awful, the 3.5mm cable needs to be hanging out of the socket in order to get the stereo play in stereo and it crackles. Back to my trusty iPod cable and 3.5mm cable set up me thinks!

I also purchased one and had no problem - I think it is better than the original Ford one as the cable is a decent length too.

P

Finally got round to joining this board, after lurking since buying our first Fiesta last year (downsizing from a Focus, but definitely upsizing on interior gadgets!). :)

I bought the same lead off eBay recently, after an unsuccessful attempt to use a combo of an official iPod lead and a 3.5mm audio lead - for some reason the volume level on the missus' iPod went down after plugging these in, meaning that the in-car audio volume had to be turned up very high to compensate, leading to much hiss.

Cutting a long story short, this lead works a treat. Definitely a viable alternative to the official Y-cable, and much longer (and less rigid) too.