Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Front Discs Replacement On 2005 Ka

sparkywilliams

post-14365-12784992769_thumb.jpg

I want to replace the front discs with new ones but there is a large nut,how do i remove disc and re-fit please?

Do i just need a breaker bar with a socket on the end?

Any help appreciated.

She is also getting her brake warning light flickering when going down hills and cornering and i've opped up fluid to well above max,any ideas? it seems a common fault on these cars.

Picture attached,thanks!!

post-14365-12784992769_thumb.jpg

I want to replace the front discs with new ones but there is a large nut,how do i remove disc and re-fit please?

Do i just need a breaker bar with a socket on the end?

Any help appreciated.

She is also getting her brake warning light flickering when going down hills and cornering and i've opped up fluid to well above max,any ideas? it seems a common fault on these cars.

Picture attached,thanks!!

You don't need to undo the hub nut. The discs are only held on with a spring clip and the wheel nuts/studs. They will just need a bit of persuasion with a rubber mallet or similar to let go. Warning light could be just a corroded/dirty connection.

Hi,

Well i successfully fitted new discs and pads to my ka and i wanted to share some wisdom with anyone wanting to do it.

Firstly,the disc may feel like it won't come off but provided you spray the gap between it and the hub with plenty of WD-40 and also behind the disc into the gap around the back recess you will eventually get it off.I used a rubber mallet and knocked it gently at all perimeters of the disc back and front,and gradually it broke its seal of rust and came off but i honestly thought it wasn't going to budge.

Equally spray and let WD-40 penetrate into the caliper mounting bolts and make sure you use a 6 sided 13mm socket otheriwse you will round them off.

The caliper sliding pins are set in two rubber mounts that are packed with grease,you need a 7 mm torx socket driver to loosen these.When you re-fit regrease them with some brake assembly grease or similar.

Clean the mating surface where the new disc will go onto as you don't want any grit inbetween otherwise you won't get a good fit.

Once you slide the caliper off put it on a box to keep it high and not strained on the brake hoses,then use a piston spreader tool and push the piston back in,check the reservoir to ensure the fluid does not rise alarmingly.Then fit the new pads and put it all back together again.

I've included some snaps i took,including a pic of the old/new pads and the annoying spring that you have to wrestle with to get back on!.

And just to add,after i changed the front discs & Pads we have had no occurences of the brake warning light coming on so i think there is some kind of sensor that detects when either is low.Either that or i have inadvertantly cleaned something.

For others afflicted with this problem,it used to come on when going around corners,after braking,or going down hill but i seem to have sorted it soo far!

Good luck to anyone doing this job,it's well worth it.

post-14365-127877170344_thumb.jpg

post-14365-127877172098_thumb.jpg

post-14365-127877173966_thumb.jpg

post-14365-127877175245_thumb.jpg

post-14365-127877176903_thumb.jpg

post-14365-127877178585_thumb.jpg

post-14365-127877180621_thumb.jpg

hi. ive just bought a 99 plate Ka for the nipper.

i know how to change the front discs, but how do you get the abs rings off?

not got my haynes book yet, and i cant work on the car till the weekend.

are they a straight forward undo the bolts removal?

or do i need any special tools?

ta.