Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Car Drinks Too Much Petrol. Getting 14Mpg. Need Some Help Please

simpledan

Hello all. First time poster… so apologies if this is the wrong section. Also, do not know much about cars. Need some advice please.

Car is a Mondeo Automatic 2000 2.0l petrol, it is giving about 14mpg.

Took it to a few garages, there not sure why it is taking so much fuel.

Some history:

Recent full service. New spark plugs, all new filters. New tyres. Tyres are in correct pressure. New cam belt change. (Was drinking same amount of fuel before getting serviced). Recent MOT. It has passed the emissions test fine, so I do not think it is the o2 sensor.

Caliper issues:

It pulls to one side, so had a wheel alignment done but the car still pulls to one side. Have been told it might need a new calliper and brake pads/discs at the front… the reason being because the calliper is jammed/stuck. On braking sometimes it pulls to one side, aswell as pulling to one side on normal driving. So will be getting a new front calliper and the front brakes changed soon.

This calliper issue might be a reason why it gives such a low mpg, but surely can a calliper and “dragging” brakes cause such low mpg? Do you guys think it might be another reason?

It drrives fine. SOMETIMES slight “judder/shake” when starting, but starts first time always.

The car holds sentimental value to me but I simply can not afford to keep it at this rate. I drive it very calmly to save petrol, but that makes no real difference in fuel consumption.

Hopefully I have given enough info about the car. Thanks to anyone who can give me some advice.

i would be sorting the sticking caliper at firstly as it is the same as driving with your foot on the brake and this wont do the mpg or the box any good at all

i would be sorting the sticking caliper at firstly as it is the same as driving with your foot on the brake and this wont do the mpg or the box any good at all

Thanks mate. Will be getting the brakes and caliper sorted out by the end of this week. Hopefully that will improve the mpg. However i think that is not the main reason for the car drinking soo much petrol. (Will keep the thread updated on the issue)

• 2 weeks later...

Got the stuck caliper and discs, pads sorted out. still no change in mpg. any advice much appreciated, need help more now than i did at the start of the thread. as i really do not have a clue what else it could be.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club