Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Dpf Is Knackered

hawker

Here you go Ford of Germany offers retrofit diesel particulate filters for just €133.33

send that to your MP and then ask him why Ford UK are wanting to screw you £1000+

Or ask Dom to ask Ford the same question . :)

Edit: that's £113.10 + VAT

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• catch

• hawker

• UKTamo

• dyoungone

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here you go Ford of Germany offers retrofit diesel particulate filters for just €133.33

send that to your MP and then ask him why Ford UK are wanting to screw you £1000+

Or ask Dom to ask Ford the same question . :)

Edit: that's £113.10 + VAT

WRITE TO THEM It's all here you MPs, MEPs and Local Councillors, contact them at a click of a button. All we hear 24/7 from our elected representatives is green this green that. Well ask em how your supposed to go green when Ford UK are stuffing you compared to your Germanic cousins.

It's time I went for a lie down, as I'm replying to my own posts now :D

It was a non-Ford OBDII system. Snap-on Solus Pro I think was the model, but its still quite a substantial+expensive piece of kit. Ford computer NOT required.

When you turn the ignition on just after fitting, you will still get the error.

Plug in the tool, and the error number should have changed. I originally had P242F for DPF replacement required. This had changed to DPF regeneration required (cant remember the code). Just reset the error code, switch ignition off+start engine, and hey presto, you can then rev more than 3000 rpm.

As I've said, its NOT a perfect fit. One pipe had to be heated up and bent into the correct position, but this MIGHT have been bent in transit. (Be interesting to see how yours is) Some of the holes for the heat shield did not line up correctly (shield had to be drilled) and at the front between the DPF and head shield, there is a substantial metal bracket that is taken off the original DPF and provides a bolt through a hole in the front of the shield to place a nut on. this could not be replaced onto the new (the shield physically couldnt be screwed back down in place at the top with the bracket in) and was left out. Its not too important as long as there are enough nuts elsewhere securing the shield in place.

Hi,

thanks for the great reply... it's going to be a few weeks before I can afford the part on my salary... I might fit it myself, depending on how complex it is..

I have an OBD Reader which can reset error codes... I wonder if I'll be able to reset it...

I'll keep you informed. I think it's shocking that we're being shafted to go greener... thanks to this EU directive nonsense...

Thanks again all.

Thomas

Its a fiddly job, no 2 ways about it. A few things at the top of the engine need to be removed before you can get at the filter itself (eg the air filter hose, rocker breather hose and 1 or 2 others), and even then space is still extremely tight. You may even want to consider taking out the Rad to create more space. Unless you have ramps, dont even consider doing the job. It would be impossible.

Once all the bolts etc have been removed from the DPF its still quite difficult to get it down and out out due to the very tight spaces involved, and obviously, tricky to get it back up again when the new one goes in.

Catch: take a deep breath, have a nice cup of horlicks and relax mate! :lol:

Its a fiddly job, no 2 ways about it. A few things at the top of the engine need to be removed before you can get at the filter itself (eg the air filter hose, rocker breather hose and 1 or 2 others), and even then space is still extremely tight. You may even want to consider taking out the Rad to create more space. Unless you have ramps, dont even consider doing the job. It would be impossible.

Once all the bolts etc have been removed from the DPF its still quite difficult to get it down and out out due to the very tight spaces involved, and obviously, tricky to get it back up again when the new one goes in.

Catch: take a deep breath, have a nice cup of horlicks and relax mate! :lol:

Ok F**K That I'll get a garage to do it.. thanks for the informed replies

Hopefully in a few years time these damned DPF's will come down in price and be more realistic. I think when news spreads about these ridiculous things people will simply stop buying diesels and the companies will have to take note. :angry:

Sorry to be off topic abit but after reading this no way in HELL am i ever buying a diesel, i was thinking about a 1.8tdci 115bhp mk1 focus to trade up into from my 1.6 in febuary '11 but no im sticking with petrol!

Mike

Dont write them off completely Mike.

Older diesels dont have DPF's.

The Mk1 Focus diesels certainly dont.

That's correct in Mike's case, but obviously as you trade up, you usually go up in years also. So eventually you are trading up to Euro pollution complient models. I would say the rule of the thumb is:- if you do big annual mileage it pans out cost wise even taking the diesel price premium into account. If not like in my case, it would be a complete was of time [just short of 6 years annual savings to break even]

Coincidently hawker, how much was the bill in total, parts, postage and labour costs for replacing the DPF. Just to compare to Dealer prices. And what was the cost of the Eloy's additive top up and system reset at the Dealer when you had it done recently? Knowing those costs DPF replacement and two x Eloys top up cost.Then divide those total costs by 6, will give other interested parties the annual additional costs of running a motor with a DPF. As those cost are on a recurring 6 year maintenance cycle.

Yeah the odd DPF horror story shouldn't stop you buying a diesel.

My 2007 '07 plate 2.0 TDCi doesn't have a DPF, so you can still get fairly recent cars without if you shop around.

£415 all in for DPF

DPF cost me £310

Fitting cost £105

If Ford fit a new DPF, they wont necessarily include an Eolys top-up as part of the job. The job cost breakdown at my dealership (which totalled £1500) certainly did not mention this whatsoever.

I had Eolys fluid top up and computer reset at the same Ford dealer back in April (£100)

I would say the rule of the thumb is:- if you do big annual mileage it pans out cost wise even taking the diesel price premium into account.

Yeah, I have a 59 1.6 tdci, so of course it has a DPF. But I expected (until recently) to be doing 100,000m in 3 years and was averaging 60mpg since Nov (~ 21,000m). I guess getting a Diesel, albeit with DPF, was the right choice. But mileage profile has just changed completely (much less), so not sure how it will work out in the end.

Yeah, I have a 59 1.6 tdci, so of course it has a DPF. But I expected (until recently) to be doing 100,000m in 3 years and was averaging 60mpg since Nov (~ 21,000m). I guess getting a Diesel, albeit with DPF, was the right choice. But mileage profile has just changed completely (much less), so not sure how it will work out in the end.

Spot on it's the mileage and in what environment that mileage it is done that makes the savings add up or not.

hawker, cheers mate I had costed the DPF replacement £660 for the full 6 year cycle. Your costing would come out at £610 for the 6 year cycle. Obviously dealer pricing would be considerably more. In the normal plan of things and if you adhere to the recommended maintenance cycle, you will replace the DPF every sixth year or 75K. And the Eloys top up is done in year 3 or 37.5k and year 6 or 75k. Hence the Eloys x 2 equation.

It is fair to assume DPF's will last longer than 75k [ yours did] and the Eloys will carry on dosing the fuel tank after 37.5K. But manufactures have to factor reliability into their servicing schedules, hence they arrived at 3 and 6 year cycles.

The DPF is not a curse, it is a good idea to cut down on pollution. Come on who likes sitting in a traffic jam breathing in diesel fumes?

What some people get irritated about is the fact that the motor industry at the sales level don't make you aware of the economics of having a DPF in your car. Come on most peoples eyes would glaze over if they tried... never mind that tell me about the privacy glass I need for little Brooklyn, and my alloys options. :)

In fact there is a DPF out that does not need the eloys additive of DPF replaced, but that's another story.

£415 all in for DPF

DPF cost me £310

Fitting cost £105

If Ford fit a new DPF, they wont necessarily include an Eolys top-up as part of the job. The job cost breakdown at my dealership (which totalled £1500) certainly did not mention this whatsoever.

I had Eolys fluid top up and computer reset at the same Ford dealer back in April (£100)

I'm in exactly the same situation, and I've found this discussion incredibly useful - the car's performance hasn't changed, but I got the "engine systems fault" and red light, and my local mechanic got the code and told be it was the dpf and that it had to be done by the local ford dealer, who quoted me: £228 for the regen; £200 for eolys top up if required; and £768 plus labour and VAT for the DPF if needed - I almost had a heart attack! I've tracked down the part for £310 same as you (was it from http://www.clickcarparts.co.uk ?) so my plan is as follows:

1. get the regen done and eolys top up if needed

2. get my local mechanic to fit the dpf if needed which I'll buy from http://www.clickcarparts.co.uk

3. get the ford dealer to reset the display (who knows what they'll charge

Do all ford dealers charge the same? Seems like we should attack ford if so!!

I'm in exactly the same situation, and I've found this discussion incredibly useful - the car's performance hasn't changed, but I got the "engine systems fault" and red light, and my local mechanic got the code and told be it was the dpf and that it had to be done by the local ford dealer, who quoted me: £228 for the regen; £200 for eolys top up if required; and £768 plus labour and VAT for the DPF if needed - I almost had a heart attack! I've tracked down the part for £310 same as you (was it from http://www.clickcarparts.co.uk ?) so my plan is as follows:

1. get the regen done and eolys top up if needed

2. get my local mechanic to fit the dpf if needed which I'll buy from http://www.clickcarparts.co.uk

3. get the ford dealer to reset the display (who knows what they'll charge

Do all ford dealers charge the same? Seems like we should attack ford if so!!

Get the DPF fitted first...

Get the DPF fitted first...

But the regen might sort the problem, so I might not need a new dpf? I am confused about what a regen is!

If it was a regen then it could be forced, but at 228 quid... its 228 quid that could be wasted...

But the regen might sort the problem, so I might not need a new dpf? I am confused about what a regen is!

How old is your car, how many miles has it done? These bits of info you omit in your post. And if you have read this thread, you must have understood the normal DPF maintenance schedule [i quote it often enough] is relevant. If it is over due said maintenance, why stuff £228 into a DPF no doubt at the end of it's serviceable life. Better to put £310 into a new DPF, get the eloys topped up and a reset. Obviously having seen what hawker paid, at £200 for the Eloy's and a counter reset, the garage you went to is taking the pee.

That's what UKTamo was saying in fewer words.

Thanks guys, what you say makes sense. It's a 55 plate and has done 80k. I'll go for the DPF. It's such a pain that you can't trust Ford dealers to give good advice and to not rip you off.

Thanks guys, what you say makes sense. It's a 55 plate and has done 80k. I'll go for the DPF. It's such a pain that you can't trust Ford dealers to give good advice and to not rip you off.

Sorry i'm not a man of many words :P

Yes thats what I meant. I'll be doing the same in a few weeks when i have money..

I would do the following (basically reiterating the advice above)

1. buy new aftermarket DPF

2. go to local independent to fit. Providing they have OBDII equipment, then they will also be able to take the car out of limp mode and turn off the red led+"engine systems fault" message. note, just attempting this BEFORE fitting the new DPF will not work unfortunately...a new DPF IS required :(

3. Examine service history for last Eolys top up. This is recommended every 35000 miles. If its had one recently, dont bother, but if not, go to your local Ford for Eolys top up and computer reset (this reset is completely different to the reset above, as its to reset a counter for the number of times fluid has been injected into the diesel per fuel top up, so that it knows when it is getting low)

Total cost: £310 for new DPF + fitting cost

plus POSSIBLY £100, NOT £200 Catch! :) for Eolys top up

A regen is NOT required - its a new DPF and therefore is as clean as it will ever be. All a regen does is to burn the soot in the DPF to clear it out so that it can perform to within its designed parameters

plus POSSIBLY £100, NOT £200 Catch! :) for Eolys top up

Hey who's trying to teach who to suck eggs here :D I said £200 was taking the pee

When I started these threads on the Dreaded DPF, it was from my experience of them having had a Volvo S40 diesel. And I knew Volvo dealers were charging circa £125 per Eloy's additive and counter reset. And as Volvo are known for their expensive service charges, many canny owners had services done at Ford dealerships. As they share engines, and would not affect the warranty. Hence anything over what Volvo charge must be taking the pee.

You getting confused regards my costings in regard to the DPF maintenance cycle. So here goes, year one and two zero costs, year three or 35k Eloys [£100] Year four and five zero costs, year six or 75k DPF replacement [£410] plus another Eloys [£100]. That is the 6 year or 75k DPF costing cycle. Hence you can now deduce the per annum costs of having a DPF equipped motor over a six year cycle £610 / 6 = £101.66 per annum. Obviously going the Dealer route it could cost twice as much.

Anybody wanting to know if with their driving requirements it is worth going the diesel route. First need to know the per annum costs of running DPF equipped diesels.If you work your savings out on an annual basis it goes without saying you must also work out the costings on an annual basis............basic profit and loss accounting :rolleyes: And how many people forget to factor into the costings equation the Price Premium of buying a diesel?

Ask yourself why do most people buy diesel as against petrol......because they see the 40% + more miles to the gallon. And with petrol @ £1.14 and diesel @ £1.15 IT'S A NON BRAINER RIGHT ! then again is it? :ph34r:

Hence you see so many DPF equipped diesels up for sale in the four or five year bracket with circa 70k or above mileage on the clock. Little do the new proud unsuspecting owners realise they are looking at Dealer DPF replacement costs of £880

hawker I see in one of your earlier posts that you had covered just short of 8k in seven months. So I extrapolated :D an average mileage for the year of 13k. I then popped that figure into my spreadsheet calculator, and I can tell you running your Mk2 Focus 1.6 TDCi as against running a Mk2 Focus 1.6 petrol is saving you £697 per annum if your returning on average 45.60mpg as against 32.50mpg for the petrol variant. So you see it does make sense you running a diesel motor. :) hang in there

hawker I see in one of your earlier posts that you had covered just short of 8k in seven months. So I extrapolated :D an average mileage for the year of 13k. I then popped that figure into my spreadsheet calculator, and I can tell you running your Mk2 Focus 1.6 TDCi as against running a Mk2 Focus 1.6 petrol is saving you £697 per annum if your returning on average 45.60mpg as against 32.50mpg for the petrol variant. So you see it does make sense you running a diesel motor. :) hang in there

Nice one, Sherlock! :lol:

That should just about cover 1 third of my repair bills for a year! :D

I've pretty much made my mind up now anyway catch. I have my eye on 3 Mazda6 2.3 Sports. Just test drove one now (very nice indeed) and going to see the other 2 tomorrow. I know road tax will be doubled, my insurance will go up by about £150 a year, and petrol by at least £697 ;) but my confidence in this car is no more, and I just want something a can rely on. I had a 2.3 Sport from 2003-2006 and I loved it, so I think I shall be returning to an "ex"!

Nice one, Sherlock! :lol:

That should just about cover 1 third of my repair bills for a year! :D

I've pretty much made my mind up now anyway catch. I have my eye on 3 Mazda6 2.3 Sports. Just test drove one now (very nice indeed) and going to see the other 2 tomorrow. I know road tax will be doubled, my insurance will go up by about £150 a year, and petrol by at least £697 ;) but my confidence in this car is no more, and I just want something a can rely on. I had a 2.3 Sport from 2003-2006 and I loved it, so I think I shall be returning to an "ex"!

Good for you, go with what you know and love mate.

And to make it stack up better :rolleyes: I've just noticed I gave you some wrong info :blink: On that spreadsheet I have two results columns, one is for the Mk2 and the other is for the Mk2.5 and the £697 was for the Mk2.5 [slightly better mpg @ 48.6] So your Mk2 results was £582 with £545 of that being the difference in fuel costs.......... I use the official Urban Cycle mpg figures when doing comparisons, simply because that is the kind of mpg I'm achieving with my driving profile.

So I had just done the maths on a 03 Mazda 2.3 Sport with an urban cycle of 23.2mpg in comparison to the Mk2 Focus 1.6 TDCi and the additional annual fuel costs are £1412 on 13k mileage.

Using the official "Combined Cycle" figures for both vehicles it's £776 in fuel costs difference. Of course I think the official figures are "pants" so lets split the difference in regards to fuel economy. Your still looking at £1094 in bigger fuel costs going the Mazda petrol route. And with 212 Co2 emissions its £235 in Road Tax for cars registered before 23rd March 2006. That's another £145 per year to find.

Coincidently cars with those emissions registered after that date the Road Tax jumps to £550 if I have read the tables correctly.....SEE HERE