Do Not Sell My Personal Information

ST170 brakes

Gwyn

Hi there, new to the forum but not to Fords :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Problem with the brakes, ford focus ST170, coming to a stop from around 20-15mph to 0, you can feel the brake pedal pumping (not fast, around once a second). Is this an abs sensor fault or warped front discs, the car has just covered 27,000.

Any suggestions or experiences with this type of problem

Gwyn :unsure::unsure::unsure:

90% sure it will be a warped disc

thanks for that info mintaklin

I'll source some discs this week, my previous car did 127,000 (9" solid discs) miles with the same discs, so much for 300mm vented discs brakes :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

see if you can get hold of a dial gauge to check the run out of the discs before buying new just in case its something else

see if you can get hold of a dial gauge to check the run out of the discs before buying new just in case its something else

Hi mintalkin

What's the max +/- in mm/thou (run out) you would expect to get on a dial guage reading before rejecting the discs. :unsure::unsure::unsure:

kind regards

Gwyn

anything above 0.1mm (0.004”).would most likely cause pulsating

anything above 0.1mm (0.004”).would most likely cause pulsating

Thanks again mintalkin.

Will borrow a DTI from work midweek, will post the result hopefully by the weekend.

regards

Gwyn :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Thanks again mintalkin.

Will borrow a DTI from work midweek, will post the result hopefully by the weekend.

regards

Gwyn :rolleyes::rolleyes:

DTI checks on each corner

Front off-side 0.03mm

Front near-side 0.03mm

Rear off-side 0.02mm

Rear near side 0.45mm :angry::angry::angry:

It was obvious when I jacked up the car (Rear-near side), that this was the culprud, the wheel was binding when Hand turned at one particular point, Further investigation showed a deviation of .45mm at this point for approx 12cm. Have ordered some discs today and hopefully put them on Tuesday evening. The brakes on this corner must have been running hot, hence affecting the performance & MPG.

Thanks again

Mintalkin

regards

G Jones

:rolleyes:

no problem glad you found the culprit

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I fitted new rear discs and pads this afternoon, it solved the problem. Used Ford origional parts, worst job was to push back the piston in the caliper. Your suppose to use a special ford tool, I got away with a 4" G clamp, made for the job, allthough it required a lot of effort to push the piston back.

Happy motoring :rolleyes::rolleyes:

ps Thank god for forum's, saves a fortune in the end and a real satisfaction of doing and solving the problem yourself.

Gwyn