Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Smelly Washer Bottle Fluid

itsrelfy

Hi guys

I need some advice. Ive had my 09 plate ZS for 3 months and it is in total a year old. Ever since I've had it the washer fluid has stunk of rotten eggs, I thought it was when I filled up what was there with some Halfords stuff and it didnt mix well. When I had completely emptied it I refilled it with Tesco concentrate and some cheap mineral water but it still smells. So I'm guessing its like a build up of bacteria or has anyone else got another guess. Should I rinse it with bleach or is there stuff out there I can buy.

Chaeers

Adrian

Are you insane!!? :o You can't use bleach in the washer fluid tank! It will ruin the hoses and damage the finish on your windscreen, and ruin the blades on your wipers!!

My suggestion would be to empty the tank, and then fill it with just bog standard water and wash that through the system in one go. I would then fill up with a mix of Halfords double concetrate (good stuff, this!) and water.

Hope this helps :)

I think you can safely ignore the "advice " posted above.

Goodness knows how a bottle of bleach can ruin plastic hoses (bleach can be safely stored in a plastic bottle)

And I have no idea what the finish on the windscreen is or how a bottle of bleach can damage the toughened glass.

It really is a shame Jmurray 01 doesnt check out his facts before posting,just to increase his post count.

This board used to be a good place for sensible advice,sadly this no longer seems the case.

I challange JMurray to back up any of his 3 statements with a valid link or other evidence.

To give you some sensible advice:

Empty out the bottle and the pipes using the washer stalk(dont forget the back one as well)

Then re fill with one of the 3 options below,then squirt out all the fluid to clean the bottle and pipes,before re filling with water.

Repeat a couple of tomes if its really bad.

Dettol or dettox is the fluid you need,empty out your washer bottle,then re fill,pump through

Alternatively Milton Baby steriliser,with Boiling water ,in the washer bottle,then pump through the nozzles.

A third option is vinegar and water ,following the same process.

You may also want to look up recent press reports about legionarres diesease and windscreen water,although I personally think this is media hype.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1286423/Windscreen-water-cause-cases-potentially-fatal-Legionnaires-disease.html

Dave

Good advise. However, if you do use bleach/milton/vinegar - make sure you thoroughly was the paintwork and any black plastic trim - as these will strip the wax from the paint and possibly the colour from the black trim.

Follow up with a fesh coat of polish/wax and some trim protector/cleaner.

i had this in a mondeo before... i bet you prob got black muck around the washers jets on the bottle and not squirting as high? anyway i used boiling water and some disinfectant

as its a bacteria build up

Thanks

Graham

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club