Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Crank Shaft Pulley How Easy To Change

tdci stevie

How easy or hard is the crank shaft pulley to change...?

After lots and lots of investigating have come to the conclusion its the crankshaft pulley thats making droning noise on idle (as ive changed the tensioner pulley and aux belt)

The noise is getting a little louder now, and when i put on more load, i.e radio, climate conrtrol etc. it makes it that little bit louder....(common i think as i hear other mondys making this noise when in supermarket car park)

I have been told the crankshaft pulley is the dampener and balancer out of the pulleys, and if its knackered then when you apply more load it worsens... (but doesnt alternator bearing do that...)

Anyway hoping to source one, someone said make sure its a modified one from 2006 onward models, mines a 2004 2.0 TDCi 130 duratorq, anyone heard...? as eBay sell crankshaft pulleys 2001-2005 (shall i stay clear of these) and ask for 2006..?

I cant help you with the modified pulley but if you have done the tensioner yourself i'm sure the crank pulley would be a piece of !Removed! as taking the aux belt off is probably the hargest part.

I had to grind down an old rachet so it would fit in the tensioner square hole...

Really just wanted to know is it the 3 bolts on pulley plate that holds it on...?

Just heard you need a special tool to take the pulley off is this correct..?

• 2 weeks later...

I had to grind down an old rachet so it would fit in the tensioner square hole...

Really just wanted to know is it the 3 bolts on pulley plate that holds it on...?

yes just 3 bolts but they are very tight. See my other post as I changed mine today.

"changed the crankshaft pulley today. Easier than I thought. I ground down a 1/2'' drive to get to the tensioner.( therefore didn't have to lower the engine) I slackened the 3 bolts on the pulley first. Got someone to put their foot on the brake whilst the car in 3rd gear - they were very tight. Slackened off the tensioner and removed the bolts; pulley off. (I had replaced the belt and tensioner only 3000 miles ago so didn't change them again). Replaced the pulley wheel whilst the drive on the tensioner was tied back to the driveshaft. Got someone to stand on the brake pedal whilst torquing up the bolts. job done. No more clackety clack whilst driving at low revs:-))

Got the pulley wheel from Europarts (£90 delivered), bargain."