Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.6 Tdci Fuel Economy

SteveTDCI

Hi,

I usually get around 52 ish mixed motorway and town (70 miles aday), I had a short break in the New Forest last month 190 mile to get there. I set cruise control to 70 mph and the average trip thing was showing 60.3 mpg when I arrived and checked it, I was impressed with that the cars done 46000 miles and a has the dreaded DPF thing! :)

Sara, you have the ideal car for the type of driving you undertake...........and stop worrying about that darn DPF ;) They are here to stay and the vast majority of peeps [yourself included] don't have issues with.

And no doubt by the time you have 75K on the clock and it's eloys top up and DPF replacement time, you will be trading it in for a MK3 Focus 1.6TDCi................simples :D

Hiya Catch, I was only pointing it out because I was told the mpg was less because of it?? :D

and yes no DPF issues at all so far touch wood :D

Those are decent figures there Andy, what kind of average mph cruise speed where you achieving on the motorways when you had an open road in front of you [no holds ups]

Regards your parents drive totals, 3,300 miles in 18 months. I'd be interested to know how old is the car, have they had it from new, and have they had any DPF issues with it.

I ask because Mk2 /2.5 TDCi's fitted with DPF's can have issues if only used for pottering about on short journeys. And lets be fair at 3,300 miles in 18 months it fits the profile. Setting aside for one moment the obvious argument that paying the "Diesel Price Premium" at point of purchase. And the added service costs of maintaining / replacing the DPF, far outweighs any savings they could possibly make in fuels visa vee petrol/diesel.

But it may be the case that your parents have had no issues with the DPF, so making peeps like me doing circa 5 to 6k per annum revisit the buy diesel or petrol option.

By the way Welcome to the forum.

Hi Catch,

Well my journey was mainly at speeds of 75-80mph not too many hold ups, it was my first real long distance, but was Quite impressed as my other focus which the Mrs now has is 1.6 petrol.

As for my parents their car,its a motabilty car so they just take it back if they have any probs, and replaced after 3years.

Hi Catch,

Well my journey was mainly at speeds of 75-80mph not too many hold ups, it was my first real long distance, but was Quite impressed as my other focus which the Mrs now has is 1.6 petrol.

Yes I bet you were, my 1.6 petrol returned 36.32 mpg on a 881 mile round trip to Cornwall @ circa 75 mph on the motorway, traffic permitting.

As for my parents their car,its a motabilty car so they just take it back if they have any probs, and replaced after 3years.

I appreciate with it being a mobility car they don't pay out on repairs or replacements, but that is not what I'm asking. I'm really just interested to know if they have had any DPF related issues with the car in the 18 months they have had it with only 3,300 miles on the clock. Like I said earlier, knowing how a 1.6 DPF fitted Focus doing such low mileage faired, may have a bearing on wither my next purchase is a 1.6 TDCi............because I've had a Volvo S40 2.0 TDCi and I miss the mid range torque of the diesel, and my pocket would love 50+ mpg :)

Hi Catch

I would most certainly have told you of any probs. I do similar mileage to you a year, mainly because I work a lot. they have not had any issue with the car what so ever mechanically, some one did stove the side in one night and drove off.Andy

Hi Catch

I would most certainly have told you of any probs. I do similar mileage to you a year, mainly because I work a lot. they have not had any issue with the car what so ever mechanically, some one did stove the side in one night and drove off.Andy

Well Andy, apart from hearing about the prat who drove off after pranging your parents car :( The rest of what you have said is music to my ears. Meaning when I next change my motor, I reckon I'll be back behind the wheel of a TDCi :)

Thanks for the Heads Up.

Evening all,

Sorry my figures have to be metric. Please do the math.. ;)

From the moment I bought the car, I was aware that it won't match the figures on the brochure - but I was really upset when it became real.

On the motorway, around 120 km/h, I've never decreased the consumption below 5 lts/100km. And it can be up to 6.5 lts on average in city central. On a complete journey, I've never made up 1000 kms of a single tank - may be 750 kms or so.

The air con is always on, for 4 seasons, I think that might have some effect.

Well Andy, apart from hearing about the prat who drove off after pranging your parents car :( The rest of what you have said is music to my ears. Meaning when I next change my motor, I reckon I'll be back behind the wheel of a TDCi :)

Thanks for the Heads Up.

Catch

I to have had reservations on whether I would be better off with a petrol or diesel as this is my first diesel, the dpf puts the fear in me, but when you think of economy and the low tax,it sort of pays for its self. you get nothing for free these days, but every car you buy some one tends to make money out you . my other focus is 2003 model 36000 miles and still a nice car to drive, had it from 3300 miles. the car we parted with was the mrs 1.8 tdi fiesta which my son now has,and it was replaced with the 1.6 tdci zetec s but I use it. Please keep in touch as its great to hear from someone on my wave length.

• Like 1

Catch

I to have had reservations on whether I would be better off with a petrol or diesel as this is my first diesel, the dpf puts the fear in me

I know were your coming from Andy, I bought a 4 year old, 57,654 miles on the clock Volvo S40 2.0 Turbo Diesel, full leather, heated seats ,all the toys, one owner, full service history with full itemised service log [ex lease car]. And never ever knowing DPF's even existed at point of purchase. I then heard all the horror stories about DPF's although in the 9 months I had it covering 5,368 miles it never missed a beat. I loved that car, loads of power to waft you here and there. But the wife felt it was to powerful for her [she had been in a head on crash, not her fault, but insisted we got a Volvo] but then wished she was back in a Focus. So her being still raw from her ordeal and having her driving confidence shattered [and I'm thinking the DPF replacement service is due a year down the line] So I thought no way am I shelling out for a new DPF, because I know women have this uncanny ability to wear your resistance to their wants down to zero. So it would be money down the drain if I then succumbed to her request....so I thought cheaper to jump ship now rather than later :unsure:

but when you think of economy and the low tax,it sort of pays for its self

Yes, especially on the 1.6 engine, not so much difference with my mileage on the 2.0 engine [same tax rate as my current 1.6 petrol

My other focus is 2003 model 36000 miles and still a nice car to drive, had it from 3300 miles. the car we parted with was the mrs 1.8 tdi fiesta which my son now has,and it was replaced with the 1.6 tdci zetec s but I use it.

It's fair to say your a Ford Family then :) Last four cars we have had three have been Fords, two Foci and a Mondeo. I've always found them to be reliable, have never broken down on me, and servicing and the likes of renewing brakes and such like to be reasonably priced.

Please keep in touch as its great to hear from someone on my wave length.

Will do................as you can see I'm always about :rolleyes:

Chris (catch) hate to sound like anyone's mum hear like but you've only had your ecoboost for two minuets, why the change of heart now if I may ask?? I drove the ecoboost before I got my 1.6 tdci and I tell you what that engine (ecoboost) is magic and that's an understatement.

Chris (catch) hate to sound like anyone's mum hear like but you've only had your ecoboost for two minuets, why the change of heart now if I may ask?? I drove the ecoboost before I got my 1.6 tdci and I tell you what that engine (ecoboost) is magic and that's an understatement.

Will, whatever your sniffing .....STOP............you cannot tell a Cuke from a Catch :D

Hi guys

Well hopefully the mpg you see below my post isnt how its going to stay.

The reason its so low is because its a used car and i log every fueling and i have no history before the dealer put some fuel in for me.

Otherwise iam going back to complain

Jamie

I've an 08 1.6TDCi estate, 46k, drive on a mix of dual carriageway at 65-75mph, town, country A and B's. I'm getting at worst 57mpg, at best 59-61mpg according to the dash. Will do some hand calculations when Ive gathered enough data. I'm getting about 600 miles out of a full tank, my old 1.8 petrol Audi could only manage around 360.

I am soon to pick up a 44k 2008 1.6TDCi as a replacement to my 2002 1.9TDi VW Passat, so reading this thread intrigues me...

Firstly it is such a common question and debate regarding fuel economy and 'quoted MPG' figures always have to treated with caution. However, the Passat I have (though that will have been for only 2-3 months) has been good on fuel. Typically I get 45mpg and 50 - 60mpg on a run, so will have to wait until I get my car and see how it compares.

However, my experiences have been that there are no real rules to good MPG figures other than to drive as though the brakes don't work.

However I have a strange log of experiences

Car - Real MPG

MG ZR105 - 22 to 35

Vauxhall Vetra 2.0TDi - 43 to 53

Vauxhall VX220 (2.2) - 08 to 51

VW Passat 1.9TDi (100) - 44 to 61

Focus 1.6 TDCi (110 DPF) - TBC

Note that the VX220 sits outside normal car convention as that weighs next to nothing and on the right road MPG figures would be completely forgotten, but on a motorway haul could be remarkably efficient (especially when they shouldn't get much more that 33mpg)

Sorry that was also my first post, so I ought to say hello...

So Hello.

Job done

At best I am getting 50-51 displayed on the dash ... usually reset at fill up, or around 500 miles

- Have only done the actual calculations based on what I had to put back into the car once and found it to be fairly accurate

I do a lot of motorway driving, and stick to the speed limit, gradual braking and acceleration etc most of the time

Only at 2500 miles on this car though, so we'll see how it goes

• 2 months later...

Morning,

it was for the reason of being able to achieve 60mpgs that I bought my 1.6 tdci climate 06 back in Feb 2011 .

It's now done 59k and after plenty of brim to brim calcs I cant more than 50mpgs ... and thats whether I driver like an old man or not.

I'm happy with that after coming from a 1.8 petrol 2001 Zafira of 10 years doing only 35mpgs

Plus very happy with only £95 road tax.

Oh and I never believe the trip computer for the mpg ... but I do use it to try to adjust my fuel economy ... trying to edge up the average mpg on m'way runs.

My mix of driving style and journeys has meant that I get a consistent percentage of the manufacturer's quoted combined mpg. Across the 37 cars I have owned I have an average of 85% of the combined figure.

I work out my mpg manually after each fill up but the difference between the computer mpg and the real mpg is rarely more than 1-2 mpg.

hi

My fuel economy on my 1.6tdci titanium mk2.5

shorter journeys ( a few start/stops along the way on an average 15 mile journey) is about 52/53 mpg.

longer journeys such as motorway driving I get a lot better averaging around 58/60 mpg.

Ive done 5 fillups since owning the car..

Its done 7000 miles, so barely run in properly!

These are Brimmed to Brimmed figures. Worked out in Excel with some lovely calculations!

50.5 mpg

43.6 mpg

42.8 mpg

45.3 mpg

and filled up today at 50.3 mpg

So it is possible, you just have to be gentle with the loud pedal, Also I have a mix of town/country/motorway miles...

Most motorway is a varied mix of 60-80mph, country lanes taken at safe speeds, and town the usual stop start stuff...

Surprisingly the trip computer says i do anywhere between 45-99.9 mpg at 30mph in 4th, or 40mph in 5th. As long as your not labouring the engine which is a common problem with people who drive "economically" then there is no reason why you shouldn't see 50mpg on varied driving.

Half the problem round town is flooring it away from the lights, then stopping at a roundabout, then off you go again... Be smooth and gentle, slow down with engine braking, rather than the foot brake if you can.

My Mk3 is having first service as we speak. Mentioned about poor fuel economy. Garage just phoned to say car ready in 1hr and they have loaded a new calibration for the fuelling.

Anyone heard of this before or had it done and can positive results be expected or is it just Ford playing mind games ??

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club