Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Power Folding Mirrors Broken?

davidp

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, and am here to get involved.

I have a fiesta zetec S bought 3 years ago. Love the car to bits, but unfortunately, had my car washed my some immigrants a couple of days ago, and since then, the power folding mirrors do not fold in when locking the car.

I have the car booked in for a diagnostic test at Fords on friday, and its just 2 weeks outside its warranty!!!...typical eh?

I thought, I might ask on here if anyone knows a quick fix that I can try to get this working again, or from your experience, has something broken???

Any help at all, will be very much appreciated please.

Mk6 or Mk7? I'm assuming MK6.

On the Mk7, there is an option in the menu to activate 'link to lock' on the mirrors, check this first but I'm sure you've thought of that.

Also on the Mk7, if you manually fold in the mirrors, they will stay on manual control until you reset the link to lock on the menu, so could it be that your washers (aka paint bashers) manually folded the mirrors and have overridden the link to lock?

• Like 1

Fiestas have power folding mirrors? :o damn wish mine did :(...

have you checked the fuses? and ECU connectors?

and can you hear anything in the mirrors that may sound like its tring to fold them in?

Mk6 or Mk7? I'm assuming MK6.

On the Mk7, there is an option in the menu to activate 'link to lock' on the mirrors, check this first but I'm sure you've thought of that.

Also on the Mk7, if you manually fold in the mirrors, they will stay on manual control until you reset the link to lock on the menu, so could it be that your washers (aka paint bashers) manually folded the mirrors and have overridden the link to lock?

Thanks, but in my menu on my dashboard computer, there is no mention of link to lock at all. So am assuming its a MK6?

Anything else I can try? I have obviously moved the mirrors out manually, but doing this doesnt re-engage the locking mechanism. I am assuming that the diagnostic test i am booked in for on friday, will "reset" the mirrors again so they start working?

I was hoping, it might be something simple which as an owner, I could try first before paying Ford ridiculous costs just for them to run a piece of software on a laptop.

ps....when i lock my car, there is no sound of the motors trying to fold the mirrors back in as it used to. However, once sat in the car, I can manually move the mirrors using the switch on the pillar to electronically adjust the glass. So am assuming the motor(s) still work because of this. Therefore, surely....it cant be a fuse?

Is it a mk6 or 7? New shape or the previous boxier version? I have the mk7 and it sounds to me like the "link to lock" feature has turned off, particularly when you say that pushing the mirror joystick down folds them in correctly. Press menu on your stereo, select vehicle settings, select powerfold mirrors, select "Link to lock" and then back out of the menu. Should sort it. When I wash my car I sometimes disengage the link to lock setting so I can lock the car and leave the mirrors out. Stops somebody pinching my stereo when I pop in the house to get more soapy water!

• Like 1

Love the car to bits, but unfortunately, had my car washed my some immigrants a couple of days ago

How could you let them anywhere near it? :unsure:

• Like 1

Around February time when it was all snowy etc, my LHS folding mirror on my mk6 zetec when !Removed! up

It started folding further than it should have, pretty much 180 from its folded in position! I took it back and he "reset" it. What he does when he means this i have no idea.

Few days later it folds in after locking and keeps trying to move in, basically bouncing up against the door trim. So another trip back and a new mirror under warrenty.

If this matches your story then i guess youll have to get a new one :/

• 5 years later...
On 27 July 2010 at 10:13 AM, davidp said:

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, and am here to get involved.

I have a fiesta zetec S bought 3 years ago. Love the car to bits, but unfortunately, had my car washed my some immigrants a couple of days ago, and since then, the power folding mirrors do not fold in when locking the car.

I have the car booked in for a diagnostic test at Fords on friday, and its just 2 weeks outside its warranty!!!...typical eh?

I thought, I might ask on here if anyone knows a quick fix that I can try to get this working again, or from your experience, has something broken???

Any help at all, will be very much appreciated please.

If it is a mk6 then you need to jump in the car and use the knob on your pillar. Turn it to the middle setting then push it down (the mirrors will fold out). Then push the knob down again (the mirrors will fold in). After doing this they should work with the key when you lock and unlock.

• 1 year later...

Just fitted the power folding mirrors and the looms (mk6 ) fiesta and the switch but still won’t fold in or out no noise or anything ie do I need a relay or extra fuses if so where do they fit into any help thanks it’s just not plug and play doing my head in 

11 minutes ago, Rob palmer said:

Just fitted the power folding mirrors and the looms (mk6 ) fiesta and the switch but still won’t fold in or out no noise or anything ie do I need a relay or extra fuses if so where do they fit into any help thanks it’s just not plug and play doing my head in 

If it's anything like the mk7 then they need to be programmed in.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club