Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen

zev

Hi again,

I.ve just been washing my car windows and I noticed that there are a few tiny chips in my windscreen, deep enough to feel with my nail is this something to worry about.I've never had this problem before so I'm not sure if this is safe.

zev

Hi again,

I.ve just been washing my car windows and I noticed that there are a few tiny chips in my windscreen, deep enough to feel with my nail is this something to worry about.I've never had this problem before so I'm not sure if this is safe.

zev

depends where they are and how deep they are. Best to phone up the likes of AutoGlass, they ask you to describe where they are, how big they are etc. I had one just above the tax disk, described it, and was told it was not a problem and did not need repairing. I had rang thinking, better to pay £15 to fix than pay the excess on a replacement windscreen, plus it failing when it was not convenient.

Generally, if a crack is large enough and is within the sweep of the wipers then it will fail an MOT. theres a 10mm and 40mm limit.

See here

Chips wont fail an MOT, but if its a deep chip, then this is liable to crack (particularly in the winter) which can then lead to MOT failure

I've often wondered about the heated front screen on the Zetec. Do the likes of Autoglass replace like-for-like? and is a heated front screen replacement still covered by insurance?

I was told by my insurance company that the "heated" feature of the windscreen isn't covered by my windscreen insurance and that they would only be prepared to replace the screen with a standard one. Shocking I know.

I've often wondered about the heated front screen on the Zetec. Do the likes of Autoglass replace like-for-like?

I would think so

and is a heated front screen replacement still covered by insurance?

I've never had an excess to pay on a windscreen replacement before. But I notice on this policy there is, so it must be because it's a heated windscreen.

Hi , I've just popped in to see my mechanic and he said the chips in the windscreen were fine nothing to worry about but told me to keep an eye on them. Plus it passed its mot last month so they must be within the limit. I've only had my focus a few weeks so they must of been there when I bought the car sadly I didnt notice them. Thanks for the replies.

zev

Hi , I've just popped in to see my mechanic and he said the chips in the windscreen were fine nothing to worry about but told me to keep an eye on them. Plus it passed its mot last month so they must be within the limit. I've only had my focus a few weeks so they must of been there when I bought the car sadly I didnt notice them. Thanks for the replies.

zev

heated screens are classed as extras byy the insurance you can argue and maybe if youre very lucky get away with it but its only standard screens they replace as the heated screen is an option on most models even if its standard to yioure particular model they tend to go for standard

heated screens are classed as extras byy the insurance you can argue and maybe if youre very lucky get away with it but its only standard screens they replace as the heated screen is an option on most models even if its standard to yioure particular model they tend to go for standard

The chips on my windscreen a very tiny and there are a few. In your opinon is it wiser to have the chips repaired. I also have a heated windscreen and dont fancy having to fork out for a new heated screen if the chips should crack. How much are heated windscreens .

zev

It really does depend on how large and deep the chips are.

Windscreens get chipped all the time, but that doesnt necessarily warrant it to have to be replaced (although AutoGlass would be extremely happy)

if the chips are particularly noticeable then perhaps get it repaired before the cold winter kicks in, but otherwise, just leave it.

If you can start to see crack marks emanating from the centre of the chip, then consider getting it repaired. If its just a little crater, then leave it.

It really does depend on how large and deep the chips are.

Windscreens get chipped all the time, but that doesnt necessarily warrant it to have to be replaced (although AutoGlass would be extremely happy)

if the chips are particularly noticeable then perhaps get it repaired before the cold winter kicks in, but otherwise, just leave it.

If you can start to see crack marks emanating from the centre of the chip, then consider getting it repaired. If its just a little crater, then leave it.

Thanks zev

I've got a few chips in mine aswell but im terafied to tell my insurance/auto glass because its in both front and rear screen's so both heated.

I think my mums mondey had a chip repaired and the stuff just ooozed back out again after a while anyway

Mike

I've got a few chips in mine aswell but im terafied to tell my insurance/auto glass because its in both front and rear screen's so both heated.

I think my mums mondey had a chip repaired and the stuff just ooozed back out again after a while anyway

Mike

with the heated front screens its best to have them checked in the winter the heated screens are notorious for making the screen crack if the chip is deep enough. front screens are expensive if they are heated not only that but the windscreen company dont wire them up for you either they have there good points these screens but after having one and seeing what it did to my vw window which had a tiny chip i personally dont want one again

with the heated front screens its best to have them checked in the winter the heated screens are notorious for making the screen crack if the chip is deep enough. front screens are expensive if they are heated not only that but the windscreen company dont wire them up for you either they have there good points these screens but after having one and seeing what it did to my vw window which had a tiny chip i personally dont want one again

So if I decieded to replace my windscreen with a standard one and not a heated windscreen it wouldnt matter because its just a matter of personal choice. I was worried I would have to replace the windscreen with the same one that was taken out.(heated)

zev

So if I decieded to replace my windscreen with a standard one and not a heated windscreen it wouldnt matter because its just a matter of personal choice. I was worried I would have to replace the windscreen with the same one that was taken out.(heated)

zev

no it doesnt have to be the same one mate

no it doesnt have to be the same one mate

Thats good cause I may decide to change before the winter

Thanks

zev

How much are heated windscreens .

I've just forked out £230 for a new one (includes fitting). Autoglass wanted about £350 :(

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club