Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Focus St170 Accelerator Feels Creaky/gritty?

minnie123

Hi Everyone,

I am a new member here yesterday I bought a 2004 Focus ST170 - me and my BF went to buy it off a private seller so I didn't actually drive it until we got home (BF test drove it). When I drove it I felt that the accelerator pedal feels sort of creaky (although it doesn't sound creaky). A mechanic has looked at it and test drove this morning and says it's fine and maybe it's just the way they are??

I'm not convinced it just doesn't feel right to me. I usually drive a Civic Type R and that felt fine. I have also had a KA and a Puma in the past and didn't have a problem with either of those.

Can anyone with a Focus ST170 tell me does your accelerator feel the same? Maybe my other fords were like it but I am so used the to the Type R that I am just not used to it?

I don't know if I am being paranoid or just being a whinger???

Any help would be appreciated.

you can try cleaning the throttle body and butterfly with carb cleaner, and then oil the spring to see if it improves the situation.

• Like 1

you can try cleaning the throttle body and butterfly with carb cleaner, and then oil the spring to see if it improves the situation.

Ok thankyou - I will get BF to do that over the weekend. He drove someone elses focus today and said it felt the same so maybe that is just the way they are and i'm not used to it?

Get you BF to twist the throttle at the butterfly/throttle assembly where the cable is attached and see if it feels the same, it should be smooth from closed to fully open, if not the cable may be drying up a little. A little spray grease at the hinge points at the top of the pedal inside the car may help too.

I heard of this happening and I don't think it's just a problem on the st170. The problem I heard about was peddle box creaking and cushioning between it and the bulk head can sort the problem. I'm not sure if there are 2 bushings that are supposed to fit there but worth investigating. It could also just need a new accelerator cable, condensation might have formed in there causing it to rust prematurely. They are cheap enough from any motor factors. Ford will be a rip off for prices, but you could enquire with them about any known issues.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club