Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Another Ridiculous S-Max Malfunction- How Many More?!

noddy

I know traditionally owning a Ford came with the knowledge that 'you get what you pay for' but there comes a time when a problem becomes a problem too many. Despite wanting to like the car, there have just been too many problems to list. Most problems seem common to a lot of S-Maxs' too. Its not like they are one offs. How can Ford get away with building such poor quality cars? Whether it is alarm system services, leaking A pillars, water ingress in footwells, electrical snurglies, replacing rear pads with an electrical parking brake which needs a tool that only Ford have, etc etc. Is it a bad idea to buy a Mark 1 of any car- I think so.

The latest in a long line, which others can expect to hit their S-Max soon are a rusty wheel stud and nut. It seems that the 'geniuses' at Ford decided to re-fit the wheel during last tyre change with water in the wheel nut or the parts are simply poor quality; take your pick. So a while later when the nut comes off.....it doesn't, as it is rusted on solid. The only way to get it off is to strip the thread of the wheel stud and nut. OK, you say, take the rough with the smooth. Just buy another stud, knock the old one through the hub and you are sorted- just like on any other car. But no. It can't be that simple. Ford only sell the whole hub with 5 new studs pre-fitted at a cost of £165 plus VAT. Unbelievable.

After all this ranting, my question is whether anyone knows anywhere you can pick up a single wheel stud and nut for an S-Max. Would a Galaxy or Mondeo one fit (if they come in singles)? If not, then its 4 studs instead of five for the rest of the life of the car as I am not paying for something that I don't need. That is unless someone knows that is is dangerous to drive with only 4 nuts instead of 5?

Another unhappy S-maxer.

I know traditionally owning a Ford came with the knowledge that 'you get what you pay for' but there comes a time when a problem becomes a problem too many. Despite wanting to like the car, there have just been too many problems to list. Most problems seem common to a lot of S-Maxs' too. Its not like they are one offs. How can Ford get away with building such poor quality cars? Whether it is alarm system services, leaking A pillars, water ingress in footwells, electrical snurglies, replacing rear pads with an electrical parking brake which needs a tool that only Ford have, etc etc. Is it a bad idea to buy a Mark 1 of any car- I think so.

The latest in a long line, which others can expect to hit their S-Max soon are a rusty wheel stud and nut. It seems that the 'geniuses' at Ford decided to re-fit the wheel during last tyre change with water in the wheel nut or the parts are simply poor quality; take your pick. So a while later when the nut comes off.....it doesn't, as it is rusted on solid. The only way to get it off is to strip the thread of the wheel stud and nut. OK, you say, take the rough with the smooth. Just buy another stud, knock the old one through the hub and you are sorted- just like on any other car. But no. It can't be that simple. Ford only sell the whole hub with 5 new studs pre-fitted at a cost of £165 plus VAT. Unbelievable.

After all this ranting, my question is whether anyone knows anywhere you can pick up a single wheel stud and nut for an S-Max. Would a Galaxy or Mondeo one fit (if they come in singles)? If not, then its 4 studs instead of five for the rest of the life of the car as I am not paying for something that I don't need. That is unless someone knows that is is dangerous to drive with only 4 nuts instead of 5?

Another unhappy S-maxer.

its not advised have 4 nuts but it wont cause any damage the issue really is simple before fitting a wheel and the nuts the mating face of the wheel and hub should be copper greased then each nut thread copper greased as well simple really however ford do not grease any nuts or bolts anywhere on the cars at the factory my advice is nip into a scrapyard and take a few ide advise you loosen them off 1 by one and copper grease them to prevent it happening in the future

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club