Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Handbrake Not Holding

DJDevil

Hi There,

I have a new face lift 10 plate model S Max and I have had some issues from the hand brake when i put it on on a hill it does not seem to hold the car the car continues to role. Took it in to my local sandicliffe ford and they tested it and they said it was fine and they could not find any problems and they are not able to adjust anything. Just wondered what i should do. Apart from leaving the car in gear when i park?

if ford say there is nothing wrong, find a hill where you know that the handbrake will not hold and then suggest to take the ford agent to the location to prove your point. this is a safty issue do not take no for an answer, also take to ford customer services on 0845 841 1111.

Sounds like it's not adjusted properly or the rear disks still have the grease on them to stop them from rusting during transit!! You wouldn't notice it while driving as the front are obviously OK, but the rear disks won't grip when stationary.

• 3 weeks later...

Ford Customer Services have been great to me in the past so I too can recommend a call. You may know this already but you should always apply the handbrake on the S-Max when your foot is firmly planted on the brake. This reduces the tension you apply to the handbrake as it just 'takes over' from your foot and also means that if you are holding the car on the hill on the footbrake the handbrake must be ok. If you do this already and this still happens take a look at the discs and where the pad assembly is, it may be that a foreign object has firmly planted itself between pad and disc so as not to form a good brake seal (it could be even be grease as suggested) Good luck

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Hello, I know it's a while after you posted, but I wondered if you ever resolved your handbrake issue? I have a 2014 S Max and today parked on a slope and left the handbrake on. I returned to the car after a couple of hours to find it had rolled down the hill and into a telegraph pole, causing considerable damage. The handbrake was firmly on but the car was not in gear. However, I would think the handbrake should still hold.

I have a feeling it will be assumed I left the handbrake off but if I had done so, the car would have started rolling as soon as I tried to get out, which it didn't.

I am going to e-mail Ford about this but I am trying to gather as much information as I can before I do. Any information you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

There can be cases where the handbrake backs off over time as the brake discs contract as they cool down, possibly enough to be a problem when parked on a slope.

Design of the handbrake system should take this into account but never seems 100% robust. Car makers often try to cover themselves by putting info in the handbook that says always leave car in gear when parked on a hill, and wheels angled towards the kerb.