Do Not Sell My Personal Information

16 Inch Wheels On The Fiesta Titanium Mk7

amarokuk

I have finally given up on the 16inch 15 spoke wheels for the Titanium. One wheel got buckled during the snow earlier this year which I replaced and used the buckled wheel as a get me home spare. Yesterday I did a what is for me a routine check removing each wheel cleaning the hubs and inspecting the tyres for damage, stone chips, nails etc. To my disgust both front wheels have buckles the passenger side has 2 and even the passenger side rear has a small kink. I have been so careful over speedbumps potholes although there aren''t that many on my usual routes of either. What are these things made of butter???

I have given up and bought a set of wheels and tyres from Halfords they are 15 inch ripspeeds polished rims with gun metal finish and they do look ok on my Tango Red Titanium. If you are thinking about doing this go for it the extra rubber definitely improves effects of the suspension and road noise is dramatically reduced (which was a surprise for budget performance tyres from god knows where.) There is also a dramatic improvement in cornering as all signs of tramlining have disappeared on my test route which includes a rather twisty road which can be scary as hell if taken too quick in the Fiesta normally.

Any one else tried this and hopefully it's been as positive for you?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• savcom

• amarokuk

• pHiLLMaTiC

• richard 1982

this is a major problem on all new fiestas,i just dont get it,how could they produce such bad quality alloys?! a lot of people sold those and bought aftremarket ones,as even the low budget ones are much tougher than the original

More details and a photo would be appreciated amarokuk. Exactly what tyres did you fit and how much did it all cost please?

More details and a photo would be appreciated amarokuk. Exactly what tyres did you fit and how much did it all cost please?

The wheels are 15 inch Ripspeed Mugello (basically the cheapest from Halfords) The tyres are made by Nankane 195/50 who I have never heard of but they seem to be OK. I don't have a picture will do some if I get some decent weather. (and I find out how to post them) The package cost £280 with a fitting kit at £19.99 and you need the fitting kit for the plastic seals for the wheel hubs. The wheels have a polished rim and face which goes quite well with the chrome accents of the car and the rest is painted gun metal grey which is ok with the charcoal plastics on the car.

Interesting, thank you!

Nankang tyres were chosen by the Titanium owning OP in this thread where he kept the 16'' wheels but switched to higher profile tyres apparently with benefits to ride quality on rough roads.

Hi

All four of my titanium alloy wheels are also buckled.

I felt vibration through the steering wheel and through the floor so i had the wheels balanced and to my shock all four are buckled.

I saw it for my self as i had a mobile tyre fitter balance them and i saw the buckle bob up and down ARRRRGHG

They are fully balanced now but iam not buying four (4) new alloys i will leave it as it is as i cannot afford £600 on wheels.

Surely we should do something about these crappy soft metal alloy wheels i have never had this problem before with my previous fiestas (6)

Jamie

Interesting, thank you!

Nankang tyres were chosen by the Titanium owning OP in this thread where he kept the 16'' wheels but switched to higher profile tyres apparently with benefits to ride quality on rough roads.

Thanks for the link I missed that one when I checked on here earlier very interesting. I didn't choose the tyres as such they were just part of the package I guess another branch may end up with different tyres depending on what's available at the time. I have just got back from a trip up the motorway and the reduction in tyre noise is dramatic almost none existent even with the window down.

Just one last quick update. After todays trip to visit a friend with motorways and b roads I have to say I was inpressed and that's not easy. I remember all that stuff about the handling and performance of the fiesta from the reviewers but allthough ok my Titanium never seemed to live up to it with its crashing suspension and noisy tyres with tramlining when you pushed the corneres too much. A change of wheels and tyres and what a difference. The wheels are now working with the suspension rather than against it, the tyre noise has gone, cornering is smooth and precise without any drama if your a little too fast clearly there is less rolling resistance as the fuel economy seems to have gone up between 2 and 3 MPG. Probably the best value £300 I have spen in a long while. If you can afford it I suggest you at least ditch those standard tyres Ford seem to have made a decent car but then handicapped it by cutting corners on the running gear at least in case of the Titanium.

• 1 month later...

Thought I was the only one.I have just had my 2nd service carried out and was shocked to be informed that all 4 wheels were buckled.Considering the abysmal conditions of the uk roads you would think that Ford would have made sure that their top of the range Fiesta would have the right equipment fitted where it matters .I would suggest that this should be a re-call item by Ford judging from the complaints posted on this forum and elsewhere .As the Fiesta is one of the best selling cars in the UK it surely won't be long before more complaints land on the doormat of Ford UK and they start to take notice .Roll on April when I can be rid of it .

So that is what 14 buckled wheels from four owners if you include the four i've just changed in 1 thread!!! According to Ford there is no issues with their wheels!!!

Make that 16, I've kept an eye on this thread for the last 2 weeks. My front 2 were buckled when I had the car 9 months old, they are the 16" Titanium 15 spoke....so I had them balanced and put on the back but the vibration was still bad to the point I thought I had buckled the ones now on the front (however these were checked at my Tyre fitter as fine). It got to the point I was considering changing the car. However thanks to the posts here I almost bought the Halfords alloys talked about but ended up getting 4 almost new fiesta mk7 15", 8 spoke alloys with 195/50/15 tyres off Fleabay for a bargain price. Had my tyre fitter check them all and they were fine, I think they look nicer on the Titanium than the others and the handling is so much improved and the vibration has gone!!

If anyone wants to make me an offer on the 2 good 16" wheels I have please let me know as it will save me going on eBay. I have used the least buckled one as a spare in the boot recess and havent decided what to do with the other Which has 2 buckles

Has anyone contacted Watchdog? I'm sure they would pick this one up if we all did it in one go

Make that 16, I've kept an eye on this thread for the last 2 weeks. My front 2 were buckled when I had the car 9 months old, they are the 16" Titanium 15 spoke....so I had them balanced and put on the back but the vibration was still bad to the point I thought I had buckled the ones now on the front (however these were checked at my Tyre fitter as fine). It got to the point I was considering changing the car. However thanks to the posts here I almost bought the Halfords alloys talked about but ended up getting 4 almost new fiesta mk7 15", 8 spoke alloys with 195/50/15 tyres off Fleabay for a bargain price. Had my tyre fitter check them all and they were fine, I think they look nicer on the Titanium than the others and the handling is so much improved and the vibration has gone!!

If anyone wants to make me an offer on the 2 good 16" wheels I have please let me know as it will save me going on eBay. I have used the least buckled one as a spare in the boot recess and havent decided what to do with the other Which has 2 buckles

Has anyone contacted Watchdog? I'm sure they would pick this one up if we all did it in one go

They have contact Farin by email or phone:- My email address is farin.roberts@bbc.co.uk or you can call me on 020 8008 3459

Is it just the 16" 15 spoke wheels or are others affected?

I removed my 16" 7 spoke wheels for the winter and replaced them with 14" steel rims with winter tyres.

I have always done this regardless of the car as I find that winter affects the alloys far worse. You can always sand down and re paint steel tyres but I don't think it is a good idea to sand alloys (unless you are rolling in money and can afford new sets each time).

So, is it the 15 spoke or are all 16" alloys rubbish?

Surprised to find this thread back on the front page, but by a strange concidence I have just returned from a 1500 mile trip from Cornwall and Dorset and i have to say the new 15 inch tyres and wheels have impressed me buzzing down some of those rather neglected country lanes the whoe car has been an absolute joy to use. It was only brought to my mind about this thread when a chap who was driving a 5 door Titanium 10 plate and staying in a cottage near to mine managed to destroy both front standard fit 15 spoke 16 inch alloys and messed up at least one of the tyres with a nasty bulge. He was not a happy chap we were in looe Cornwall and not an easy place to get replacement tyres let alone getting the wheels rebalanced or replaced. I think he ended up going over to somewhere in Plymouth and paying around 400 pounds to get it sorted ouch!!!! Ford need to sort out the alloys and ditch the hancook tyres which seem to have no grip at all, I could get the to wheel spin in 3rd gear overtaking in my 1.4 petrol titanium which should not be possible on tyres with new tread.

I am running the 17" "Streetpack" alloys and 2 have buckled. The vibration through the steering wheel at motorway speeds was bordering on dangerous. I replaced the first wheel that buckled (£160). I thought that was maybe a one off but recently a second alloy has buckled. I got it balanced and put it on the rear but now the vibration at motorway speed passes through the whole vehicle structure, producing an uncomfortable "buffeting" sound. Im not happy as I payed £400 for the optional "Streetpack" and now I have to Shell out an extra £160 for each alloy which buckles. I have also been very careful with potholes etc etc

I am running the 17" "Streetpack" alloys and 2 have buckled. The vibration through the steering wheel at motorway speeds was bordering on dangerous. I replaced the first wheel that buckled (£160). I thought that was maybe a one off but recently a second alloy has buckled. I got it balanced and put it on the rear but now the vibration at motorway speed passes through the whole vehicle structure, producing an uncomfortable "buffeting" sound. Im not happy as I payed £400 for the optional "Streetpack" and now I have to shell out an extra £160 for each alloy which buckles. I have also been very careful with potholes etc etc

contact Farin by email or phone:- her email address is farin.roberts@bbc.co.uk or you can call her on 020 8008 3459

contact Farin by email or phone:- her email address is farin.roberts@bbc.co.uk or you can call her on 020 8008 3459

If everyone with this issue can contact Farin as above we may just get somewhere

Just a thought: Those of you who replaced their factory fitted 16" alloys with the 15" from Halford's bargain basement bin - that's a pretty major modification to Ford's original specification. Did you clear this with your insurance before replacing the wheels / tyres? You might find you're not fully covered if you haven't informed your insurance of this change.

Just a thought: Those of you who replaced their factory fitted 16" alloys with the 15" from Halford's bargain basement bin - that's a pretty major modification to Ford's original specification. Did you clear this with your insurance before replacing the wheels / tyres? You might find you're not fully covered if you haven't informed your insurance of this change.

I changed mine to a 15" Ford Mk 7 wheels but I also checked this out with my insurance company and they were only concerned if the cost of the alloy exceeded £1000 but that is my insurance company only so I would agree you need to check with your own. The overall wheel diameter is more or less the same but my main concern was that changing wheel size would affect the Speedometer considerably (as I've heard about Ford trying to demand reprogramming costs for wheel change size) but there is a website you can check to calculate what difference it makes and basically it was 1% so when it says I'm doing 60mph i'm actually doing something like 59.4mph.

It would be helpful if members with the buckling wheel problem, where to list the type and size of the alloys and also the type of tyre fitted.

I am beginning to suspect that this may be more to do with the low profile tyre.

If Fords have fitted a stiff low profile, this would result in more stress on the alloys. I have never like low profile even though they give better grip in corners. They are over priced, do not last as long as high profiles and give a harsher ride.

The more information in the public domain, the better.

It would be helpful if members with the buckling wheel problem, where to list the type and size of the alloys and also the type of tyre fitted.

I am beginning to suspect that this may be more to do with the low profile tyre.

If Fords have fitted a stiff low profile, this would result in more stress on the alloys. I have never like low profile even though they give better grip in corners. They are over priced, do not last as long as high profiles and give a harsher ride.

The more information in the public domain, the better.

Mine were Continentals 195/45/R16 on a 16" 15 Spoke MK7 Alloy

• 3 weeks later...

The tyres on smiley are 195 45 16 Conti Premium Contact 2's

The fronts are nearly worn (3mm)

The rears have 4.5 to 5mm on them.

Jamie

Watchdog are interested in this matter, so please contact them via details on posts above. The reply I received from them regarding the mail I sent confirmed this.

The latest update I have is that I made a formal complaint to Ford, They asked me to take the alloys into my local dealer for inspection (they are no longer on the car), at this point it seems that they were taking the matter seriously.

I got a letter back following a telephone call on Wednesday advising that as my Fiesta Titanium is now 18 months old, they will not be compensating me for my loss. They confirmed in writing that the alloys are only covered under warranty for 12 months and I should refer my complaint to the non Ford dealer I bought the car from (Thus washing their hands of the issue). I was under the impression alloys had no warranty period but I have it in writing that they do. When I questioned the adviser in the call about people who had their alloys replaced for free she said this would have been a goodwill gesture by the dealer.

Therefore I'm going to take this further as clearly the alloys are not fit for purpose and Ford are trying to deny responsibility for this (Any advice going forward would be appreciated) but I thought it's worth letting everyone know who has had to Shell out for the Alloys that if you had them replaced within 12 months that you have some stance to get a refund or have them replaced free, although I expect the next comeback they will have is because of wear and tear but its worth a shot.