Do Not Sell My Personal Information

16 Inch Wheels On The Fiesta Titanium Mk7

amarokuk

Hi

I have had my Fiesta Zetec for nearly a month now and prior to buying it and since owning it, I have taken a great interest in the problem with the 'buckling' alloy wheels and the cheap fitted radial tyres.

I upgraded my factory 15" alloys to the 16" 7 spoke option with 16" Hancook tyres and I don't know if ALL Ford alloy wheels are affected?

I also think that if it is eventually proven that the Ford alloy wheels are not of merchantible quality and fit for the purpose they were made for, then they should be replaced FOC by Ford even if the car is over a 12 months old.

At the moment, I've not come across any real issues with the car but it seems that the big issue regarding the alloys is waiting for me a few months down the line, so I will be interested to see how BBC Watchdog view this ongoing problem.

Does anyone know if this problem with 'buckling alloys' only affects the Fiesta, or does it also affect the Focus, KA etc.

Thanks, BHeart

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• savcom

• amarokuk

• pHiLLMaTiC

• MartynS

Hi

Rang ford today to tell them about the buckles in my alloy wheels.

They are not entertaining my claim as i have driven the car knowing that they had buckles in them even though my dealer said it was still safe to do so.

Iam not happy

Jamie

• 1 month later...

I've just got back from the tyre fitters and I'm not happy. I've just been told that my two front wheels are severely buckled. Asked them not to check the back! I don't understand how it's happened, I've not hit a kurb or a pothole! Not impressed!!

I've just emailed Farin at the BBC, I'll wait and see if I get a reply!

Got a reply. Sadly it's no longer being investigated by Watchdog. Looks like its down to us mugs to fork out to solve a problem which is probably just going to reoccur!

Edited by markm92668

How can i tell if my alloys are buckled? I only bought my Fiesta in September and this concerns me greatly, i have the 16" 5 spoke alloys!

Does anyone know if this problem with 'buckling alloys' only affects the Fiesta, or does it also affect the Focus, KA etc.

Thanks, BHeart

It does affect the Mk2 model Ka, which I have, and has 5-spoke 16"alloy wheels, in fact I'm going to Dagenham Motors tonight for the 3rd time to have it out with them over my buckled alloys and I've only owned the car for a month!

I had the 1.4 petrol Fiesta Zetec with 8-spoke 15" wheels from October 09-10 and never had a single problem with the car, changed to the diesel Ka to save money on travel (I do a lot of motorway miles) and it's been a nightmare since day one. I took it back a week after having it because the car was pulling to the left, mechanic phones me within an hour and tells me both front alloys are buckled and the inside edge of the tires also need replacing as a result. I said I'd only bought it last week and subsequently got a callback in an hour from the rep who sold me it saying that they'd replace one wheel for free and the tracking was indeed out, but that the other wheel and tires were fine - so who's telling the truth right?

Another week passes and I take it back because the car still pulls to the left, they say the tracking is out again, try to charge me to fix it (I refused and they accepted as it was an ongoing problem), but it still isn't right. Changing to this car was a bad idea, can't wait to change back to the Fiesta. I don't think it's a coincidence that almost all the used Mk7 Fiestas available on the Dagenham Motors website are Titanium models with the alloy wheels you're all describing.

Hoping I won't get modded for my kind of-on, kind of-off topic reply, long-time reader first-time poster!

It would be helpful if members with the buckling wheel problem, where to list the type and size of the alloys and also the type of tyre fitted.

The more information in the public domain, the better.

The tyre brand on my titanium is Hankook (16” multispoke alloy wheels)

My car is used as a driving instruction car and most learners are not good at missing potholes but so far I have not had any problems with bent or damaged alloys. I will say the tyres also seem to help protect the alloys from kerb damage.

16 wheels? wow, that must be expensive when you need new tyres!

• Like 1

Make that 5 now just come back from tyre fitter with yet another Buckled Alloy

How about we collect all our alloys and go dump them on the door step of Fords Office in Brentwood see if they listen then

To all the people with buckled wheels, can you tell just from looking at them or the way the car handles? Or does it normally come as a nasty surprise when the car is at a garage for something and they tell you? Mine seem to be fine so far (visually and no vibrations), just wondering if there's a chance they're not and I'm simply unaware! Cheers

To all the people with buckled wheels, can you tell just from looking at them or the way the car handles? Or does it normally come as a nasty surprise when the car is at a garage for something and they tell you? Mine seem to be fine so far (visually and no vibrations), just wondering if there's a chance they're not and I'm simply unaware! Cheers

Uneven wear,Bald spots,Vibrations i had all these symptoms

My car pulls to the left regardless of the camber of the road, that was why I took it in and found out both front wheels were buckled...inside of the front tyres were worn too.

• 3 weeks later...

We've given up with ours and purchased some 15" alloys from Halfords to replace them. We replaced 2 buckled alloys at our own expense and when the 3rd one went (inside a year) and no help from Ford, enough was enough!!

Our Fiesta is a 1.6Tdci Titanium and we had the 16" 7 spoke alloys so the problem with Fiesta alloys seems to affect all the 17" and 16" standard fit wheels.

The dealerships claim that no-one else is having a problem with them and Ford Cust service? claim the same.

I think it's disgraceful that they can just fob you off when you've purchased a brand new car a year before and expect you to keep coming back spending £200 each time a wheel decides to buckle itself. Surely these wheels aren't fit for purpose?

Ford Motor Company should be embarrased into dealing with this problem.

Never noticed them buckled, but;

In month 1, hit pot hole, bent wheel, bought new wheel.

In month 17 changed the 16" to 17"

In month 25, blow out, bent wheel, put 16s back on as I'm getting rid of car!

• 4 weeks later...

I am running the 17" "Streetpack" alloys and 2 have buckled. The vibration through the steering wheel at motorway speeds was bordering on dangerous. I replaced the first wheel that buckled (£160). I thought that was maybe a one off but recently a second alloy has buckled. I got it balanced and put it on the rear but now the vibration at motorway speed passes through the whole vehicle structure, producing an uncomfortable "buffeting" sound. Im not happy as I payed £400 for the optional "Streetpack" and now I have to shell out an extra £160 for each alloy which buckles. I have also been very careful with potholes etc etc

Hmm... New here (as you can see) but just (today) purchased a 1.4 Titanium with the 15-spoke alloys on it. During the test drive I mentioned to the sales girl about a shudder at 60mph felt through the steering wheel. In my list of 'fix-its' I have asked the dealer to fix this before I take over the car. Wonder if the shudder is actually an alloy wheel problem? What else should I ask the dealer to check to ensure I don't take ownership of a car with dodgy alloys?

Thanks in advance

Savcom

It's funny, but apart from this thread, and the 'Don't buy a Fiesta' thread, what other stories do we have regarding failed alloys? Looking on the Internet in general it does not seem as apparent as this thread seems to suggest. Perhaps if we gather some stats and present them we will have more of a case. As I am so new here I don't yet know the full power of this forum, but I may try to set up a poll regarding model, size of wheel, number of failures just to see.

As an example, I've collated info from two threads in two forums. This one (FOC) and Ford-Forum.net (FFN) They're on my system as an excel sheet, but I attach here a picture of the sheet. Happy to collate more if people PM me with their details (all details held private)

Clipboard02.jpg

Is it worth pursuing? Has everyone now gone quiet? :blink:

Savcom

Yeah sounds like a good idea as it is such a common problem. The Ford dealer I bought the car from told me they wouldn't replace the alloy under warranty and it was normal for it to buckle. I think they should replace them as it seems like we have been given poor quality wheels.

My tyres were Pirelli PZero 205/40R17 and it is a 2008 model.

it was normal for it to buckle.

lol the dealer told you it's normal for the wheels to buckle? Well at least we now have the comfort of knowing it's meant to happen; the people who aren't affected should complain their's haven't buckled yet!

Yeah the parts desk said, "alloy is soft so you would expect it to buckle if you go down a pothole" lol They definetely werent going to replace them under warranty as they class it as damage to the wheel.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club