Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Speaker Size And Folding Mirrors On Mk7 Zs

gazza81288

Hi all

I have a couple of questions that I hope you could answer, firstly does anyone know the actual size of the rear Speakers? I have searched on numerous ford forums and yet they seem to say that they are 17 cm's. I recently bought some 17 cm's pioneer Speakers and they were no where near big enough.

Secondly my ZS doesn't have power folding mirrors, is it possible to fit these as I have found some on eBay? Would I need re-wiring etc?

Thanks

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• iNath

• Lez

• WhiteFoFi2011

• White_ZS_TDCI

Hi all

I have a couple of questions that I hope you could answer, firstly does anyone know the actual size of the rear speakers? I have searched on numerous ford forums and yet they seem to say that they are 17 cm's. I recently bought some 17 cm's pioneer speakers and they were no where near big enough.

Secondly my ZS doesn't have power folding mirrors, is it possible to fit these as I have found some on ebay? Would I need re-wiring etc?

Thanks

They are 17cm, but the original units have a custom moulded surround that's about 1" deep with 3 mounting points and a unique plug to connect to the wiring. You can buy custom plastic adaptors that allow standard 17cm Speakers to be fitted, or make your own (which is what I did from plywood).

I don't think the wiring will be there to support the power folding mirrors and it's controlled by a module called the GEM (Generic Electronic Module) behind the glovebox which might not have the correct programming (so you might have to swap that out as well). You'd also need to replace the mirror switch to control manual folding.

Hey buddy, you can get the correct Speakers from ford for £22 each and with the folding mirrors from what iv heard you can retro fit then but its a pain in the butt

By the way how do you remove the rear speaker panels?

Hey buddy, you can get the correct speakers from ford for £22 each and with the folding mirrors from what iv heard you can retro fit then but its a pain in the butt

By the way how do you remove the rear speaker panels?

First you have to remove the plastic door sill (There are a few yellow clips holding it in), once you have got that off you can get the the rear panel. The rear panel is kept on by quite a few metal clips which are difficult to remove. When I did my Speakers I didn't remove the whole panel just enough to get both of my hands in to install the Speakers. The pamel does dig into your skin, so expect a bit on pain doing it that way.

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I just bought a pair folding mirror and a switch for my, but unfortunetly it`s not folding. i know for folding i need the control unit as well, or re-program it, but i thought may be i can use by switch, i checked the conectors all is 8 wire one like the power folding mirrors, befor the manual was 7 only. any idea to fix it?

Hi!

Do you know someone where can i find the folding mirror relay? may someone have any pictures?

Regards!

I read somewhere you need a relay and would have to take your car to ford for someone to update the GEM i found this guide Mk 6.5 fitting guideif its any good for you?? please keep me updated as if its possible i might have a bash

cheers

• 1 year later...

Did anyone manage to retro fit power fold mirrors? I really want to fit them to my fiesta!

Did anyone manage to retro fit power fold mirrors? I really want to fit them to my fiesta!

I shall be attempting it in the next few weeks and will let you know :)

I asked a number of local ford dealers about having them fitted, all but one came back saying it could not be done and were not helpful at all. The other garage quoted me £700!

I think it can be done for much less than this. I reckon you would just need 2 power fold mirrors at around £100 each, a switch at about £20, wiring £??? and then the ECU would need reprogramming £??

I assume this would be much the same as having cruise control fitted....another option i am very keen on adding. Though i understand ford are unwilling to help with this and doing it yourself is tricky.

It would be great if you managed to get them fitted, and share your wisdom.....let me know how it goes.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes powerfold mirrors retrolfit is possible. Need 2 powerfoold mirrors and the switch for the drivers door. Then car has to be reprogramed :)

Powerfold.gif

• 1 month later...

Yes powerfold mirrors retrolfit is possible. Need 2 powerfoold mirrors and the switch for the drivers door. Then car has to be reprogramed :)

Powerfold.gif

I looked at this but i don't think my existing wiring is suitable for the wire plug on the power fold mirrors to clip into. You should set up your own garage doing mods like these. i'm sure we would all come and give you the business! You seem to know everything ha!

I looked at this but i don't think my existing wiring is suitable for the wire plug on the power fold mirrors to clip into. You should set up your own garage doing mods like these. i'm sure we would all come and give you the business! You seem to know everything ha!

I'll be making a guide soon on how to check if your car is suitable :)

Any chance of some quick advise? going to have a look at the weekend see if my car is suitable.

Fitted the Switch for the power fold mirrors today. Very easy! Just need to buy the mirrors and program the system.

Need to wait for Nath's guide though first :)

Need to wait for Nath's guide though first :)

Recorded some video during the nice weather yesterday for it. Just need some pics of the fuse box to explain the relays and will be good to go :)

Nice one, can't wait to get it all up and running.

Nice one, can't wait to get it all up and running.

EDIT #2: See post #29 for new video.

Any questions? ;)

EDIT: Ah, just realised when getting in my car this morning that I've forgotten to include a bit about replacing the drivers door switch/mirror adjuster. Will make a new one later!

Edited by iNath

I'll be making a guide soon on how to check if your car is suitable :)

Good idea mate nice one :D

Good idea mate nice one :D

Err, the guide is the video in the post directly above yours ;-)

Great vid, might be worth renaming it to just how to remove door card as well for more views.

Look forward to the follow up, nice one mate!

I'm guessing this mod requires more asbuilt modification?

Thanks for the kind comments, will reupload in a couple of days with added bit about door switch,

I'm guessing this mod requires more asbuilt modification?

That's the one, byte 87 if you're changing yours.