Do Not Sell My Personal Information

New Fiesta Esp

antman99

Hi There, i know ESP is now standard from June, 10 just wondered if there is a button to disable it or minimise it, the only reason i ask is i hear it is junk in snow and if the last 2 januarys have been anything to go by, i live on a hill and everything else moves except us but my current mk 6.5 fiesta coped quite well on the other hand my parents focus cc with ESP was just wheel spinning constantly.

I have it on mine and there is a button under the temp/fan controls to turn it off.

EDIT: Found a pic (albeit very small) Just in front of the gear stick there is 3 buttons, the one on the left turns ESP off (button lights up when ESP off, symbol comes on speedo and message on radio)

ford-fiesta-sport-4_460x0w.jpg

I think the ESP off button is only fitted on Zetec S.

It is not there on my Titanium - I have a credit card holder (!) in that space.

yeh thanks tvaddict that is what i was thinking, im buying a titanium too, im assuming you do have the standard ESP on yours?

Yeah, that's correct tvAddict. The ZS is the only model with the button to switch off the ESP. In normal driving the only time the ESP/TC has interfered is when I'm driving like an idiot trying to make it kick in - in snow it is an annoyance to be honest, the TC cuts in far too quickly. Some people have retrofitted the button to their cars and I don't think it's that difficult to do if you're technically minded.

I don't have one on my Titanium either (ESP fitted as part of 'X' pack)

Some people have retrofitted the button to their cars and I don't think it's that difficult to do if you're technically minded.

Thank you, you answered a question I hadn't even thought of yet! Will do some searching tomorrow.

Alternatively - pull the fuses for the ESP out in snow, job's a good'un. Worked for me last time we had serious snow.

Alternatively - pull the fuses for the ESP out in snow, job's a good'un. Worked for me last time we had serious snow.

Dan,

Wish you had told me this last year, any pointers on which fuse it is.

Going to go off and kick me self for not thinking about that one earlier

• 2 months later...

any more info of how to do the retrofit?

or if there some kind of switch panel which is just a straight replacement for teh card holder?

There are 3 types of panels that can be used instead of card holder (I have added also Ford FINIS code so you can order it directly, copied from German forum):

1514081 - Part with ESP switch and 2 "blinds" = Schalter-Leiste mit ESP-Aus und zwei Blindkappen

1513292 - Part with ESP switch, Airbag control light and 1 "blind" = Schalter-Leiste mit ESP-Aus, AirBag-Kontrollleuchte und einer Blindkappe

1513293 - Part with ESP Switch, Airbag control light and PDC switch = Schalter-Leiste mit Blindkappe, Airbag-Kontrolleuchte und PDC-Schalter

Price of the first panel is cca 25€, friend of mine added this to his Titanium Fiesta, but check with Ford dealer your VIN to be sure which option will suit your car. Based on details I have found on forums every Fiesta with ESP should have also cables and connectors behind the card holder so it should be really easy to switch them. The only thing you have to do is to remove the whole silver panel from dashboard as the card holder is somehow specially atached. Unfortunately I am unable now to find also pics how to remove the panel :(

PS: you can not have ESP switch if you have front parking sensors :(

That's interesting, when I spoke to my local ford guy he was very keen on sorting this for me, especially when i pointed out that a lot of Titanium owners in Scotland would love to switch this of when it snows. He looked into it and told me that there was a lot more to it than changing the panel and adding a switch, apparently we also have to change a number of moduals to get this to work, as will as cable looms etc. He may have been feeding me a line, but I never got that impressions.

Chris

• 2 years later...

Hi guys, I'm not sure if my Fiesta has ESP. Asked at a dealer and he seemed to think that it doesn't have ESP because there is no button, but from what has been said here that might not be true. The ESP light on the speedo doesn't light up when I turn the key, so I guess either that means it doesn't have ESP or it's faulty. Is there any way to find out? And is there any way to have ESP installed on a car that doesn't have it?

Hi guys, I'm not sure if my Fiesta has ESP. Asked at a dealer and he seemed to think that it doesn't have ESP because there is no button, but from what has been said here that might not be true. The ESP light on the speedo doesn't light up when I turn the key, so I guess either that means it doesn't have ESP or it's faulty. Is there any way to find out? And is there any way to have ESP installed on a car that doesn't have it?

The light only comes on when either the ESP is actually working (ir controlling slip than monitoring) or the ESP system is turned off if it's fitted, but I think it comes on when you turn the key as a bulb check but not sure at the moment, General opinion is it's only fitted as a standard to 2010 models or later.

Post work drive edit: Yep, the light should come on as you turn the car on as a bulb check.

Adding the button is a £30 fix (see http://www.fordowner...-zetec-16-tdci/) but it may not be worth it, if you look at the end of that thread I posted a way to cross the plugs wires and see if the ESP was fitted or not. or you can look at Fords ETIS system (http://www.etis.ford.com) and see if you can see With IVD/Traction Control/ABS as an entry on your car.

Edited by GJC

Thanks for the advice. I had a look on etis and there's no IVD/Traction Control/ABS, so I guess that confirms there's no ESP. It doesn't even have Brake Emergency Assist which I thought all new model Fiestas had, aren't emergency braking and ESP part of the same system? And one more question, does anyone know if it's possible to have ESP installed and how much it's likely to cost? (I'm guessing expensive). It could really be a life saver now that winter's here again :)

• 1 year later...

My new Zetec S MK7.5 as the stop start switch in this panel and two blanks. The salesman told me you could get the ESP swich to go in the panel, But at the moment i cant find any info on this mod. The plug and loom are supposed to be there at the back. At the moment you can turn ESP off via the dash computor,but it would be good to just have a switch.

Mick G.

My new Zetec S MK7.5 as the stop start switch in this panel and two blanks. The salesman told me you could get the ESP swich to go in the panel, But at the moment i cant find any info on this mod. The plug and loom are supposed to be there at the back. At the moment you can turn ESP off via the dash computor,but it would be good to just have a switch.

Mick G.

Same on my 63 plate ZS,only has the stop/start switch on the panel

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

On my titanium it has this I'm sure al get some pics up as I've seen it kick in a few times and although it doesn't have a button a can switch it off via the menus

On my titanium it has this I'm sure al get some pics up as I've seen it kick in a few times and although it doesn't have a button a can switch it off via the menus

Yeah you can switch it off in the menu on mine too

Sent from my iPhone using Ford OC

• Like 1

What position is the Start Stop switch. The Mk7 had (from left to right)

ESP

Passenger Airbag off Warning

Parking Sensors

If its in the middle it may because if memory serves right the airbag warning light has moved up to the middle of the console. The Engine On Off is an option on the Zetec S so you should be able to do a straight swap if you can get the right FINIS code for the switch. (iNath I guess)

Mine is a ZS Mk7.5 with the stop start switch on the left side of the panel and then two blanks. What i want is a ESP switch to fit into the right hand blank if a switch is available. Thus leaving the middle blank. Am told but not checked yet that the plug is at the back of the panel just needs connecting to a suitable switch. Would like to find the part number of any switch if anyone as gone down this track them selves. Only got the new car last Wednesday so still feeling my way so to speak.

Thank you

Mick G.

Thats not really how it works, the button you have isn't a discreet switch behind the button is a small PCB that has all three on it, and they do or don't have the various bits

See http://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/23619-disable-esp-on-5dr-zetec-16-tdci/page-12#entry194289 for my Mk 7 switch.

You can't easily mix and match them positionwise unless you want to start hacking apart the PCB..

I went and looked at the ford brocure, and If the start stop button is on the left, then the ESC is central andp parking sensors on/off on the right. Depending on what switxches are in FINIS you may have to take one apart as I did to frankinstein one together