Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Straight Bulb Swap ? Halogen To Xenon???

messsi

hey there jus wondering if you can do a straight swap with the bulbs?

currently got halogen bulbs - H7 55w dipped beam, H1 55w main beam an H8 35w fog lights, can i swap them directly with the same spec bulbs jus xenon ones ??

or will i have to get one of these HID (high intensity discharge) conversion kits??

any help would be appreciated thanks

i bought xenon ones as well but haven't put them in yet i think its just a straight swap as i did it before on my old saxo vtr?

i bought xenon ones as well but haven't put them in yet i think its just a straight swap as i did it before on my old saxo vtr?

straight swap

straight swap

i've read some of your posts and replies to people and you seem to be quite apt at this sort of thing so would you be better getting a HID conversion kit or stick in these bulbs? would there be a real difference for the money?

cheers

Hid kits are ace i love the look and the gains but theres loads of legal hoops you need to pass through if your lucky with the fuzz go for it if not they avoid and wack some bulbs in!

Get them installed professionally and have them laser aligned. The 'fuzz' won't bother you then or on coming driver's.

much will that cost??

to get a conversion the law states that you must also have headlight washers and wipers ive seen more than a few fail mots for it its really up to wether they want to or not from the vw forum and my passat days they look good but are nothing but trouble with the ballast going then you have to swap the motors over etc etc stick with the bulbs mate they are cheaper and easier to fix when they go ive had them they are a pain to swap the motors into a pain to set up and even though mine were professionally installed the guy ended up taking them out after 3 months the ballast/igniter went in both lights twice from the vw forum i wasnt alone a real kit will set you back 200-300 quid the cheap kits at 60-150 quid arent even worth looking at

cool, i was looking at angel eye headlights as i think the black ones will look mint on my car what do u think of them?

I like the black AE headlights on the mk1 focus alright. I was thinking of getting a pair.

As far as MOT is concerned, aftermarket HID kits will pass as long as the colour is yellow to white (with 8000K being the absolute borderline) and the beam pattern and light distribution must be within the correct boundaries. I would say unless you have headlight units with projectors (so pretty unlikely for a Focus), then forget it, as you will almost certainly find it impossible to get the beam pattern within the legal boundaries.

The law does NOT require headlight wipers, but you do need headlight washers AND automatic levelling to be 100% road legal.

Theoretically, plod can stop you and fine you if both of the above are not met, but generally, as long as they dont look too blue/purple, and the light is not glaring (ie. beam pattern is way off) then they usually overlook them as a rule.

These kits are a straight swap as far as the actual bulbs are concerned (ie. they connect into the current headlight units) but you have to disconnect the bulb's power into ballasts, and the ballast then connects to the HID bulb. (See my website, I have a guide on there). These ballasts must be positioned and secured somewhere, so this can sometimes be tricky depending on the particular car/engine if space is an issue.

If you want a 100% straight swap and just want brighter lights, get Philips X-Tremes

If you want a whiter more xenon look, get Philips BlueVisions.

As far as MOT is concerned, aftermarket HID kits will pass as long as the colour is yellow to white (with 8000K being the absolute borderline) and the beam pattern and light distribution must be within the correct boundaries. I would say unless you have headlight units with projectors (so pretty unlikely for a Focus), then forget it, as you will almost certainly find it impossible to get the beam pattern within the legal boundaries.

The law does NOT require headlight wipers, but you do need headlight washers AND automatic levelling to be 100% road legal.

Theoretically, plod can stop you and fine you if both of the above are not met, but generally, as long as they dont look too blue/purple, and the light is not glaring (ie. beam pattern is way off) then they usually overlook them as a rule.

These kits are a straight swap as far as the actual bulbs are concerned (ie. they connect into the current headlight units) but you have to disconnect the bulb's power into ballasts, and the ballast then connects to the HID bulb. (See my website, I have a guide on there). These ballasts must be positioned and secured somewhere, so this can sometimes be tricky depending on the particular car/engine if space is an issue.

If you want a 100% straight swap and just want brighter lights, get Philips X-Tremes

If you want a whiter more xenon look, get Philips BlueVisions.

washers thats what i meant lol personally like said above without the projectors its a waste of tiome any angel eyes etc will still require you to swap the levelling motor over thats about it

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280477684820&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_1506wt_930

what you reckon with these, or are these jus cheap an nasty?

shall i go for the philip bluevisions like matey boy said? or osram night breakers or whaaaaaa, i want that real xenon look :P

Personally I wouldnt bother. The cheaper ones on eBay tend not to last very long.

Not sure if nightbreakers give the xenon effect anyway - they just give out "more light" so would probably look just like a stock bulb only brighter.

If you want professional top quality halogens that give the HID look, then you could always go for a pair of PIAA Mirror Whites :blink:

If your adamant about the xenon look and havent got obscene amounts of money to throw about, then I would go for the bluevisions. ;)

Avoid the eBay cheep bulbs there crap they give the look but there as much use as candles in jam jar's even with projector lenses. The phillips bulbs are the dogs nuts highly recommended! B)

Got them love them lol only bought them because i wanted to de-tango the front theres loads of diff styles mine are "projectors" but there are various styles and colours

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-MK2-BLACK-HALO-ANGEL-EYE-Headlights-05-07-/230365889783?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM#ht_3293wt_1137

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Focus-MK2-Chrome-Indicator-Bulbs-/260608765968?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM#ht_502wt_911

There what id go for there will be a bit of wiring on the back of the clusters required but thats so easy any idiot can do it me included just need a 4 wiring connectors and some lecky tape

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-MK2-BLACK-HALO-ANGEL-EYE-Headlights-05-07-/230365889783?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM#ht_3293wt_1137

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Focus-MK2-Chrome-Indicator-Bulbs-/260608765968?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM#ht_502wt_911

There what id go for there will be a bit of wiring on the back of the clusters required but thats so easy any idiot can do it me included just need a 4 wiring connectors and some lecky tape

do you think those are better than the onesi put up? the ones i put up have the same shape indicator as my current ones those ones you showed there are different will this matter?

do you think those are better than the onesi put up? the ones i put up have the same shape indicator as my current ones those ones you showed there are different will this matter?

Nah there alright mine are diff from standard, the cluster is designed for the change and the shape of the lamp is the same as yours. there all legal and ok so should be no bother mate but read the add clearley and if in doubt just send the seller a question

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club