Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Windscreen Smear

zev

Hi all,

Have been having problems with a dirty greasy windscreen, no matter much i cleaned it it still smeared so I fitted some new wipers but the sreen was still smearing but perhaps not quite as much. A friend told me to wipe the glass with white spirits I did, and that did improve it greatly but it still smears as the wiper clears the water away but the smears dissapears withins seconds but its still not good in the rain as it just keeps smearing.Its very strange never had this problem before. Any ideas of how to improve my vision in the rain.

zev

Hi all,

Have been having problems with a dirty greasy windscreen, no matter much i cleaned it it still smeared so I fitted some new wipers but the sreen was still smearing but perhaps not quite as much. A friend told me to wipe the glass with white spirits I did, and that did improve it greatly but it still smears as the wiper clears the water away but the smears dissapears withins seconds but its still not good in the rain as it just keeps smearing.Its very strange never had this problem before. Any ideas of how to improve my vision in the rain.

zev

rain naturally contains grease and dirt so it will always smear a bit but cleap very quickly white spirit no white vinegar yes white spirit destroys the rubbers easiest way is 2 caps of vinegar to 1 cap lemon juice then about 1 pint of warmwater spray it on the window and use a good cloth to rub it in in circular motions buff off youll always always get a greasy mark thats just the rain mate and all the crap in it

Thanks will give that a whirl. Its just strange that my last cars windscreen didnt smear like that .

zev

an old trade tip is to clean the windscreen with premixed sugar soap, put it in a spray bottle, spray on windscreen and wipe with a cloth,removes all grease instantley,also put a couple of squirts in the washer bottle.

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=10607582&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=sugar+soap&fh_eds=%C3%9F&fh_refview=search&ts=1282490253948&isSearch=true

rain naturally contains grease and dirt so it will always smear a bit but cleap very quickly white spirit no white vinegar yes white spirit destroys the rubbers easiest way is 2 caps of vinegar to 1 cap lemon juice then about 1 pint of warmwater spray it on the window and use a good cloth to rub it in in circular motions buff off youll always always get a greasy mark thats just the rain mate and all the crap in it

Thanks I've cleaned it with your lemon/vinegar mixture and it's a great deal better.

zev

Thanks I've cleaned it with your lemon/vinegar mixture and it's a great deal better.

zev

all thanks go to my gran for that one lol

• 3 weeks later...

all thanks go to my gran for that one lol

Hi guys I'm sorry I'm here again with this windscreen smearing problem. I've just got back from holiday in wales , On the way back on the motorway it was raining and there was a lot of water spray the windscreen wouldnt clear, the water wiped away but left my screen with a fog of smears almost as if the glass was misted up not good to drive in. I had cleaned the glass prior to driving. I'm sure I remember a post on here that they thought that the smearing was normal on heated screens.I did try to find the post but not luck. Any ideas guys. Just to add I have fitted new wipers but only buget wipers do you think this could be contributing to the smearing .

zev

the answer is in the kitchen, Mr Muscle Widow & Glass cleaner, a quick spray and a way you go, keep it in the car.

the answer is in the kitchen, Mr Muscle Widow & Glass cleaner, a quick spray and a way you go, keep it in the car.

I've been using ajax glass cleaner which I supose is the same thing or simular anyway, but still have the smearing its driving me daft.

zev

i dont know about ajax, pop out to the shop and bye some Mr Muscle Widow & Glass cleaner the green coloured one, it will work i always spray my front wind screen with it and and spray just before an mot,,just spay on and turn the wipers on, that all you have to do.. :)

i dont know about ajax, pop out to the shop and bye some Mr Muscle Widow & Glass cleaner the green coloured one, it will work i always spray my front wind screen with it and and spray just before an mot,,just spay on and turn the wipers on, that all you have to do.. :)

thanx will give it a go

zev

Can anyone suggest which blades to use have read Bosch are good, as i have buget blades on and someone suggested that the cheaper blades could be the problem.

zev

I'm here again, I've googled my problem and found a posted suggestion, pour washing up liquid onto the screen and srub with a soft cloth, rinse with warm water including wiping the Wiper Blades.Dry off the glass then wipe over with vinegar using a kitchen towel. But I noticed as I did this I could see the streaks/marks on the glass where the wipers touch the screen could this be an indication off something or other. Someone also said to try t-cut but I'm not so sure about this as I have some tiny chips in the glass and I suspect that the t-cut would leave annoying white marks in the chips.I have thought of changing my windscreen , but I have a heated screen and I know that would be expensive. So should I decied to change it for a standard windscreen would I have to have the electics capped off if so then thats more expense. Then again I dont know how much longer I can cope with a blurry screen which is bad enough in the day but not good at all at night.

zev

the more you pay for blades the better they are, For mine they are £40 from ford they are aero type, wiring for windsreen is just tucked out of the way with the fuse and relay taken out, that will stop you getting shorts, by the way having the screen replaced would only cost the excess on your insurence if you have got fully/comp. also if you need to put cream based cleaner on your screen try window lene the pink cream used on house windows..

Try claying the windscreen. You will be VERY surprise how much dirt it picks up, even on glass that looks crystal clear! Follow the clay up with some Autoglymm car glass polish. This is much better than any sprays and you can clearly see where you have applied and buffed off.

My windscreen is tones better but not as clear as i would like it so I'm going to give a good rub with a newspaper, and will change the windscreen wash too as I noticed it gets worse when I use it so will buy a better one.

zev

Autoglym fast glass is the way to go, i have been using Autoglym products for years and nothing comes close.

Mark

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club