Do Not Sell My Personal Information

No Service = No Warranty?

evondoll

First of Hello......I'm new to this forum and I know I'm being a bit rude jumping right in with a question (but it is a bit urgent) :)

This morning my 08 plate fiesta died on me....ok it was the alternator that died :( I took it to the ford dealer where I bought the car and left it to be checked over. Got a call back a couple of hours later saying it needed a new alternator. The guy then went on to explain that as its overdue its service, the warranty is void :huh:

After checking some stuff out on the Ford website it seems to be saying the warranty is void if the fault is a direct result of missing a service. But imo a broken alternator is nothing to do with missing a service. Am I right? An alternator isn't a serviced item and if it was gonna break it would do so wether the car was serviced or not?

Just checking before I go in there tomorrow morning with all guns blazing :D

E x

welcome to the wierd world of Ford warrenty,if they can get out of something they will,try customer services on 084 584 11111.

As you say, an alternator is not really a service item. An alternator will no be affected by missing a service. But I suppose its an excuse for them to wriggle out of paying for it under warranty. :angry:

As you say, an alternator is not really a service item. An alternator will no be affected by missing a service. But I suppose its an excuse for them to wriggle out of paying for it under warranty. :angry:

Failure to properly maintain the vehicle in accordance with Ford maintenance schedules and service instructions will leave the warranty nil and void regardless of wether its a seviceable item unfortunately you will get no where as they clearly state this moreover youre car in now covered for nothing

Failure to properly maintain the vehicle in accordance with Ford maintenance schedules and service instructions will leave the warranty nil and void regardless of wether its a seviceable item unfortunately you will get no where as they clearly state this moreover youre car in now covered for nothing

But thats not what it says on Fords own website.......

'Exclusions

While our warranties are comprehensive, there are some things we don’t cover.

Ford is not responsible for any repair or replacement that is required as a direct result

of:

* Failure to properly maintain the vehicle in accordance with Ford maintenance schedules and service instructions'

It states that the exclusion is only if the repair needed is a direct result in not having a service done. A broken alternator is not a direct result of not having a service.

But thats not what it says on Fords own website.......

'Exclusions

While our warranties are comprehensive, there are some things we dont cover.

Ford is not responsible for any repair or replacement that is required as a direct result

of:

* Failure to properly maintain the vehicle in accordance with Ford maintenance schedules and service instructions'

It states that the exclusion is only if the repair needed is a direct result in not having a service done. A broken alternator is not a direct result of not having a service.

Artscot is quite right,you now have no warranty whatsoever.

There isnt much point carrying on complaining about it on here,you broke the terms,now you face the concequences.

When you come to sell the car,you wont be able to say "balance of warranty" or "FSH"

Think yourself lucky its only a minor thing gone wrong,and cross your fingers nothing serious goes wrong before you get rid of the car.

Why did you miss the service? How many miles (or months) did you miss the service by?

Dave

I wasn't complaining, just asking a question. :huh: I can't find anywere, any info telling me my warranty is void for not having the service done.

I'm not 100% sure how overdue the service is as I left the book in the car and car is at the garage. To date its had 2 full services...both at the main dealers.

I wasn't complaining, just asking a question. :huh: I can't find anywere, any info telling me my warranty is void for not having the service done.

I'm not 100% sure how overdue the service is as I left the book in the car and car is at the garage. To date its had 2 full services...both at the main dealers.

it is on ford warranty website written ion the exclusions here it is in full

Ford is not responsible for any repair or replacement that is required as a direct result of:

• Damage caused by neglect, flooding, accident, rallying, racing or any other improper use
  • Normal wear and tear
  • Failure to properly maintain the vehicle in accordance with Ford maintenance schedules and service instructions
  • Failure to properly maintain paint and bodywork by regular cleaning in accordance with Ford instructions
  • Unauthorised modifications of the vehicle or its components
  • Refilling or topping up with incorrect specification fuel (see 'Owner's Guide')
  • CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) and LPG (Liquefied Petroleum Gas) conversions that are not approved by Ford
  • Use of bio-diesel or bio-ethanol alternative fuels in concentrations that exceed 5% (Excludes: Ford flexible fuel vehicles (FFV))
  • Use of supplemental additives and flushing agents for fuel or engine oil (unless specified as part of a Ford service requirement)
  • Failure to rectify on a timely basis any paint or corrosion damage identified during the Body and Paint Check
  • Factors beyond Ford control, such as: airborne contamination, storm damage, stone chips, scratches and the use of unsuitable cleaning agents
  • Repairs using methods that have not been approved by Ford
  • Failure to use genuine Ford branded parts and fluids or, parts and fluids that match the quality of genuine Ford branded parts and fluids.

in short no service no cover so if anything else now fails on the car you will have to pay rather than having it fixed under warranty it doesnnt matter if its a serviceable item or not the facts are if they car is not serviced the warranty becomes nil and void im afraid its pretty clear and is the same with all new cars and warranties

The repair is being done under warranty :D

It's all to do with the wording used on the warranty, mainly the phrase 'as a direct result'. An alternator does not fail after 40k because you missed one service.

This thread wasn't started to cause trouble......I've never had any car trouble before and never had need to use a warranty, so I just needed some info.

It's all to do with the wording used on the warranty, mainly the phrase 'as a direct result'. An alternator does not fail after 40k because you missed one service.

This thread wasn't started to cause trouble......I've never had any car trouble before and never had need to use a warranty, so I just needed some info.

well there you go you must have done something either that or they really liked you lol you must be one of the very few who have hada repair under the warranty just goes to show most people wopuldnt have argued it no trouble as you say it depends on the wording and how thats taken from reading the warranty i would say that if you miss a service the warranty is void certainly thats how it reads like you say its not how it its read but how you interpret what they state well done someone beat ford lol

and who says you ont get anywhere having !Removed! lol only kidding

The repair is being done under goodwill----massive difference mate!

Dave

and who says you ont get anywhere having !Removed! lol only kidding

It was probably more to do with running a driving school and needing new cars fairly regular :D

So I agreed to book it in for its overdue service, they agree to put the repair in under warranty and they also give me a years free AA breakdown cover......everyones happy :)

Although I'd say to anyone who needs a repair (not related to missing a service) to fight them all the way! I don't deserve special treatment just because I run a driving school (or because I have !Removed! lol :P ) , everyone who paid out for a new ford deserves to expect that car to keep on working and if it doesn't, they should repair it!

I am glad that you got it done under warranty - I agree with others mind that you've been lucky.

And tut tut - a driving instructor not servicing their car at correct the intervals, what does that teach your pupils eh? :P

And tut tut - a driving instructor not servicing their car at correct the intervals, what does that teach your pupils eh? :P

Yep, its not good :unsure:

I do tell them all about looking after their cars.........I do normally look after mine. Last service was just a slip and I'm glad its all booked in now to get up to date :) Lesson learned :P