Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Time For Cambelt Change?

messsi

hey,

does anyone know what sort of mileage the cambelt needs changing on a focus 1.6 mk2 petrol?

currently on 61k miles, should it of been changed at 60k? rough sort of price from a dealer.. or a cheaper priate garage?

thanks

hey,

does anyone know what sort of mileage the cambelt needs changing on a focus 1.6 mk2 petrol?

currently on 61k miles, should it of been changed at 60k? rough sort of price from a dealer.. or a cheaper priate garage?

thanks

ford state 100k but they tend to fail earlier than that not the belt but the tensioner starngely the belt is covered by ford for snapping but not the tensioner

most companies advise 60k purely as the tensioner can go without warning taking the belt with it

you need a full timing belt kit done make sure you ask fior the kit and not just the belt i went to ford and paid 210 for the full kit including the tensioner belt crankshaft bolt pulleys and guides as welll as a new fan belt the price was all parts and labour plus the vat

other independants will do it cheaper very few do it right most dont change the tensioner bolt or camshaft bolt whicjh is a must

ford state 100k but they tend to fail earlier than that not the belt but the tensioner starngely the belt is covered by ford for snapping but not the tensioner

most companies advise 60k purely as the tensioner can go without warning taking the belt with it

you need a full timing belt kit done make sure you ask fior the kit and not just the belt i went to ford and paid 210 for the full kit including the tensioner belt crankshaft bolt pulleys and guides as welll as a new fan belt the price was all parts and labour plus the vat

other independants will do it cheaper very few do it right most dont change the tensioner bolt or camshaft bolt whicjh is a must

okay thanks for you help

• 1 year later...

Messsi the cam belt should be done every 100.000 miles our 10 years

the belt will last the tensioner wont its a brave man who waits 100k to have it done its recomended by all fleet buyers and independants to be done at 60k as the tensioner has failed before the 100k mark even my local ford despite fords statement say 70k max. trust me a head off job new belts replacement valves etc costs a lot more

I think its a bit hit and miss when it comes to belts. I dont know anybody that has had a belt go on a Ford early. I had a Puma 1.7 that was 12 years old on a 132k before it got changed.

If it was an Alfa I would be more concerned, however if you didnt buy the car new, you dont know how its been treated, it may be worth doing early.

theres a few posts on here where they have went early and the aa has reports from callouts of it happening my mk1 was done at 65k the belt was fine the tensioner had actually allowed the timing to be 1tooth out and on inspection didnt look to clever it wouldnt have made 100k. but it is hit and miss at the end of the day can you gaurantee the tensioner has been checked during services? most dont ford say the belt at 100k not the tensioner. look at the st tensioners failing at 25k miles costing 1300 engine rebuild

My friend had his Citroen Picasso belt changed and within a year it snapped. The belt manufacturer paid for a complete engine re con and a courtesy car thrown in too. He used a small local garage no main dealer.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club