#1 dazza101

dazza101

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Ford Model: Mondeo estate

Posted 27 August 2010 - 06:41 AM

hi

have this car problem what you think?

Car started as normal, drove a short distance then, stalled. Starter turns but does not turn engine. If i engage first gear and turn key car jumps once then same as above. I'm thinking clutch has failed, not cable because there is still resistance on clutch pedel. Unless its hydralic? Or and i hope not, timing belt? Ford mondeo, 1997, 1.8 TD with 120,000 miles on clock if that helps?

cheers

daz

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,792 posts
  • Name: Stefan
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:25 AM

hi

have this car problem what you think?

Car started as normal, drove a short distance then, stalled. Starter turns but does not turn engine. If i engage first gear and turn key car jumps once then same as above. I'm thinking clutch has failed, not cable because there is still resistance on clutch pedel. Unless its hydralic? Or and i hope not, timing belt? Ford mondeo, 1997, 1.8 TD with 120,000 miles on clock if that helps?

cheers

daz

when you say stalled, i take it you mean it just cut out on its own accord? sounds like a timing belt failure to me but to find out for sure you would really need to remove the covers and have a look.
i dont think its a clutch problem? i think your clutch is hydraulic though
looking at autodata, the belt should be replaced at every 40k miles or 5 years which ever comes first along with the injection pump belt.

#3 CAR PARTS EXPRESS

CAR PARTS EXPRESS

Authorised Trader

• PipPipPipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Ford Model: mondeo

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

as above sounding like belt failure...common on the 1.8tds...the pulleys fail leading to belt snap and this snaps the camshaft leading to a new head needed....fingers crossed its not that

#4 dazza101

dazza101

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 10:58 AM

as above sounding like belt failure...common on the 1.8tds...the pulleys fail leading to belt snap and this snaps the camshaft leading to a new head needed....fingers crossed its not that

guess what? belt shreeded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think im looking at a 500+ bill? RIP mondeo :(

#5 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,792 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2010 - 11:17 AM

guess what? belt shreeded!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! think im looking at a £500+ bill? RIP mondeo :(

:( handy with spanners? engine swap?

#6 dazza101

dazza101

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

:( handy with spanners? engine swap?

whats a spanner???? not bad with the old tools but time and money tighter then a Mr ducks !Removed! around at His inlaws. Student you see.

#7 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,792 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2010 - 12:35 PM

whats a spanner???? not bad with the old tools but time and money tighter then a Mr ducks !Removed! around at His inlaws. Student you see.

well ok fair point :lol:

best of luck, hope you can get it sorted? or find another car soon :)

out of interest, where in fife are you from :)

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users