Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts
  • Name: Scott
  • Ford Model: Focus Zetec 1.8
  • Year: 1999

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:19 PM

Evening Guys.

Looking for a new project for the Focus and stumbled across this (http://cgi.ebay.co.u...M#ht_3830wt_911).

What I need to know is:

- Is it just a case of plugging all of these gadgets in? Eg is the wiring loom already there for them or not?
- Where does the 'outside temperature gauge' go?
- Any advice from someone who's done this before.

Thanks in advance.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,885 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:53 PM

Evening Guys.

Looking for a new project for the Focus and stumbled across this (http://cgi.ebay.co.u...M#ht_3830wt_911).

What I need to know is:

- Is it just a case of plugging all of these gadgets in? Eg is the wiring loom already there for them or not?
- Where does the 'outside temperature gauge' go?
- Any advice from someone who's done this before.

Thanks in advance.

the wiring isnt there on all cars the loom is behind the dash clock if you have it taped to the metal beam thats just a straight plug in then the washer bottle with the sensor has to be fitted the outside temp gaiuge goes under the scuttle panel there should be wires there if not then you dont have the wiring

#3 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,752 posts
  • Name: Stef
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:07 PM

ive always fancied doing this myself, might look into it sometime this weekend.

there is a guide on ebay for 1.99 that according to the listing has all the info you need.

#4 cressws1

cressws1

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:21 PM

Ok so I've been out and had a quick look (You know what its like when you get an idea) and Ive found a plug taped to the metal beam behind one of the air vents (see below), Is this the bad boy? Also if this is the wire I need am I right in thinking all I need is the following:

- Trip computer with new clock surround, Straight swap for the surround thats there now (minus the little cubby hole for coins of course!)
- Replacement indicator stalk, Straight swap for the one thats there now, Same way as the wiper stalk is done.
- Washer bottle with sensor, Wheel off, Wheel arch liner out, Undo bolts and give it a pull.
- Outside temperature gauge, Plugs into the loom with the Horn, Taped to a metal bar somewhere behind one of the front grills.

Sorry about the quality of the image, It was dark and a torch used as a flash!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_0211.JPG

#5 ford focus edge

ford focus edge

Too much time on the boards

• PipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts
  • Name: Mike
  • Ford Model: Focus 2.5T ST-2
  • Year: 2008

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:24 PM

I've been thinking of doing this for ages but from what i've heard from down the grape vine there not the most reliable of parts to wack on tempting i admit and id love the outside temp readout and range.

I've also bought from that seller before just a word of advice, Clean it before you fit it! lol

#6 H3lly

H3lly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Name: k
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus
  • Year: 2003

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:30 PM

Try fordfocusworld.com for how to guides and advice. A few have fitted them.

#7 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,752 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:50 PM

where is that connector located then? im gonna go have a quick look

EDIT: i presume its behind the dash trim where the computer goes?

#8 cressws1

cressws1

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

I'd read a few reports saying it was behind the speedo clocks. These are removed by firstly removing the surround, 3 screws on the upper of the surround. Secondly remove the 4 screws from the clock set, DO NOT UNPLUG THE CLOCKS. The connector may be taped up in the foam sticky stuff to a metal bar.

Where I found mine was simply by pulling out the two central air vents (literally give the outer of the vents a pull and they will come away). It was taped in black electrical tape to a horizontal bar. The cable length is literally just long enough to reach where the trip computer goes.

Hope this helps.

#9 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,752 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:30 PM

I'd read a few reports saying it was behind the speedo clocks. These are removed by firstly removing the surround, 3 screws on the upper of the surround. Secondly remove the 4 screws from the clock set, DO NOT UNPLUG THE CLOCKS. The connector may be taped up in the foam sticky stuff to a metal bar.

Where I found mine was simply by pulling out the two central air vents (literally give the outer of the vents a pull and they will come away). It was taped in black electrical tape to a horizontal bar. The cable length is literally just long enough to reach where the trip computer goes.

Hope this helps.

yes that helps, so i should be able to get at the connector if i pull the clocks out? dont want to pull the vents out, last time i tried that i broke it :lol: wasnt a ford though..

#10 cressws1

cressws1

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

yes that helps, so i should be able to get at the connector if i pull the clocks out? dont want to pull the vents out, last time i tried that i broke it :lol: wasnt a ford though..

It depends its an even shot at being behind either the clocks or the vent. I dont think you could break the focus vents they're not even held in with anything and just pull out.

#11 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,752 posts
Contributor

Posted 27 August 2010 - 09:34 PM

It depends its an even shot at being behind either the clocks or the vent. I dont think you could break the focus vents they're not even held in with anything and just pull out.

hah, i will go have a look in a sec. standby for a damage report :lol:

EDIT: well i pulled out the 2 centre and driver side vent, no wiring there from what i can see. i will remove the clocks tomorow for a look.

is there any reason why the clocks shouldnt be disconnected? if the battery is disconnected then surely there is no difference? if i need the loom to fit mine i will need to disconnect them

#12 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,752 posts
Contributor

Posted 28 August 2010 - 11:58 AM

well there is no wiring in my car for the trip computer :( pulled half the dash apart and no sign of it

and pin 10 on the stalk where the yellow and brown? wire should be is empty

#13 cressws1

cressws1

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 12:18 PM

well there is no wiring in my car for the trip computer :( pulled half the dash apart and no sign of it

and pin 10 on the stalk where the yellow and brown? wire should be is empty

Looks like you dont have it then mate. Its normally a case of you have all of the wires or none of them. I've yet to check the stalk but I'll nip out and double check.

#14 HeadShoT2009

HeadShoT2009

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 238 posts
  • Ford Model: 2001 Ford Focus Black Edition
Posted 28 August 2010 - 04:44 PM

What information do these actualy give as modern ones give loads of options , my mates fiat has trip time average speed current mpg

#15 cressws1

cressws1

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 252 posts

Posted 28 August 2010 - 10:44 PM

As well as outside temperature and Screen washer fluid level, It gives average speed, Average MPG, Current MPG, Frost Warning and Fuel Range.

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users