Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Adding Trip Computer

cressws1

Slightly reserved about attempting this now due to the mixed reviews on here about the chances of it working.

Im going to buy the parts sepearately not as a £150 set so I'll buy the trip computer and indicator stalk to start with to see if the mpg stuff works, If not I can always just bang these 2 items back on e-bay at no real loss.

If I discover the MPG stuff works with no ECU flash or extra parts I can always buy the other stuff from fleabay or breakers over time etc.

i dont think you will need any thing doing to thed ecu,why would ford put the wiring there if it dont work.i know a few people who have put them in.i got the computot for 18 quid and indicater 4 15 which was cheap. i cut the coin try out of my surround,dosnt look the best but it ul do till i get one lol

i dont think you will need any thing doing to thed ecu,why would ford put the wiring there if it dont work.i know a few people who have put them in.i got the computot for 18 quid and indicater 4 15 which was cheap. i cut the coin try out of my surround,dosnt look the best but it ul do till i get one lol

ford initially put the wiring in as many of these extras could be added on by the customer when buying however the dealer would install the correct ecu programme at 1 point the cars were complete in that the ecu was pre programmed so that it was simpler for the dealers but ford stopped its not known exactly when they stopped but thy did they also on many facelift focuses removed thye wiring so that yoiu couldnt add things on youreself so its hit and miss it either will or wont work it all depends on wether youre car was preprogrammed and theres no way to know in advance

ford initially put the wiring in as many of these extras could be added on by the customer when buying however the dealer would install the correct ecu programme at 1 point the cars were complete in that the ecu was pre programmed so that it was simpler for the dealers but ford stopped its not known exactly when they stopped but thy did they also on many facelift focuses removed thye wiring so that yoiu couldnt add things on youreself so its hit and miss it either will or wont work it all depends on wether youre car was preprogrammed and theres no way to know in advance

i have a 2001 1.8 ghia and no wiring on mine nor did i have the lamp holder taped up for foot well lights, had to install from main loom. seems from reading threads concerning above most mk 1.5 have the wiring for both but not sensors etc.

my car if you search parts from registration number states its a ghia but didnt have the trip computer nor the wiring

gutted :(

• 2 weeks later...

Fitted this tonight and it works a treat. Just need the washer level sensor now. It gives MPG details etc with no ECU upgrade on my early MK1 Focus.

I found the following very helpful indeed.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220675826865&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_931wt_1137

Evening Guys.

Looking for a new project for the Focus and stumbled across this (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FORD-FOCUS-COMPLETE-FUEL-TRIP-COMPUTER-KIT-GHIA-RS-ST-/110542752831?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM#ht_3830wt_911).

What I need to know is:

- Is it just a case of plugging all of these gadgets in? Eg is the wiring loom already there for them or not?

- Where does the 'outside temperature gauge' go?

- Any advice from someone who's done this before.

Thanks in advance.

i mate just put one on my 99 focus it is easy

• 2 months later...

Well to my disapointment, what I thought was the correct wire turned out not to be after I saw the pic in this thread. The wire I have is a small square with two wires going into it, it was taped in a similar location to where my computer plug should be. One of the wires are yellow, any ideas what this could be?

It may be for the gauge that was fitted to the RS/ST model which I believe is just oil pressure/temperature. Might be wrong though mate.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club