Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tailgate Won't Open

BUDGIESCUTT

I'm not familiar with the S-Max but sounds like the catch has stuck or broken. What type of release is it ? Button on the FOB, Button on the tailgate, or turn the key in a lock ?

try pushing down on the tailgate as you operate the release.

I'm not familiar with the S-Max but sounds like the catch has stuck or broken. What type of release is it ? Button on the FOB, Button on the tailgate, or turn the key in a lock ?

BUTTON ON FOB, NO ACTUAL LOCK ON BOOT.

HELLO, SUCCESS, I HAVE SOLVED MY TAILGATE PROBLEM, IT WAS A STICKY CATCH!!. I HAD TO CLIMB INTO THE BOOT, AND REMOVE THE TAILGATES INNER PANEL. TO THE RIGHT AND LEFT THERE IS 2 SMALL PULL OUT PANELS IN THE TAILGATE MAIN PANEL , REMOVE THEM, THEY ARE SHAPED LIKE KIDNEYS. NOW YOU HAVE TO USE A LITTLE FORCE, NOT TO MUCH, GRIP THE PANEL ON ONE SIDE WHERE YOU TAKEN OUT ONE OF THE SMALL KIDNEY SHAPE PANELS, AND PULL SHARPLY. IT SHOULD COME AWAY. NOW KEEP PULLING UNTIL YOU REMOVE THE WHOLE PANEL. MOVE THIS OUT OF THE WAY. NOW GET SOMEONE TO PRESS THE FOB ON THE KEY TO OPEN THE BOOT AND AT THE SAME TIME TRY TO OPEN THE BOOT PHYSICALLY. WITH YOU INSIDE THE BOOT BANGING WITH THE PALM OF YOUR HAND AGAINST WHERE THE CATCH IS AND HOPEFULLY IT WILL OPEN. WHEN OPENED GET SOME, WD-40 OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT AND SPRAY CATCH UNTIL IT WORKS FREELY AGAIN, JOB DONE, THANK GOD! :D

My S-Max developed this same problem yesterday - I guess today's bank-holiday fun will include crawling around inside the boot!

My S-Max developed this same problem yesterday - I guess today's bank-holiday fun will include crawling around inside the boot!

Well, that was easy! I didn't even have to remove the plastic panel.

From inside the boot you can just see enough of the latch to poke around with a screwdriver while pressing the release button on the remote. This resulted in a satisfying click and the tailgate released.

Few squirts of Teflon lube and the jobs-a-goodun!

Well, that was easy! I didn't even have to remove the plastic panel.

From inside the boot you can just see enough of the latch to poke around with a screwdriver while pressing the release button on the remote. This resulted in a satisfying click and the tailgate released.

Few squirts of Teflon lube and the jobs-a-goodun!

Same has happened to me on a number of times. I used to bump the car down a curb which then released the catch but it failed to do that on the last ocassion so like the rest of you I dived in the back and smacked the lock with a blunt object and 'hey presto' the boot opened. I used motorcyle chain wax and it has been great ever since. It must just get dry and dusty in the lock and jam. I did call Ford and they wanted £100+ to fix it!!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Joined forum to find an answer to my stuck tailgate. A click was never so satisfying. Thanks all.

• 7 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Mine has the same problem, so each time I open the tailgate I have to sharply push closed as I press the door button and it does the trick. I'll get round to greasing it up at some point.

• 6 months later...

Tailgate lock going mad clicking like a motor found out it was the offside rear brake light changed the bulb & all fixed. 
anyone else had this problem??

• 4 months later...