Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums Messages

Club Announcements

Ford Fair 2016: Tickets and stand passes are now available to purchase. More info here.

Review your Ford: Help others when it comes to buying a car like yours and review your Ford now

Ford Car Parts: View All ford car parts by category. Look for Ford Car Parts now!

AdBlock Warning

Parts of this website do not function properly with AdBlock enabled on your device. To get the best user experience on our website, please disable Adblock for this website (domain) on your browser.

MrrNoName

1.8 Tdci Question

5 posts in this topic

for all of you with a diesel, esp the 1.8 :P

when driving normally about what revs do you change up? im new to a diesel and not sure how high I should be revving to change gear without putting unnessesary strain on the engine :D

I don't think you can put excessive strain on your engine as the diesels are rev-limited in the ECU. Personally unless I need a bit of urgency I tend to change up at about 2000rpm as the turbo starts to kick in around this figure and I've found that I get better fuel economy by keeping below it in the intermediate gears.

I don't think you can put excessive strain on your engine as the diesels are rev-limited in the ECU. Personally unless I need a bit of urgency I tend to change up at about 2000rpm as the turbo starts to kick in around this figure and I've found that I get better fuel economy by keeping below it in the intermediate gears.

could you put excessive strain on your engine by changing too low?

I find mine struggles a bit at or below 1000rpm when its cold. Once warm it will pull ok from 1000rpm.

Once again I don't think it will put excessive strain on it - you can easily tell if its struggling and just change down.

I also find that when driving briskly the turbo range is fairly limited and it soon runs 'out of breath' so it's better not to keep it on the boil like a petrol but change up earlier.