Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1.8 Tdci Question

MrrNoName

for all of you with a diesel, esp the 1.8 :P

when driving normally about what revs do you change up? im new to a diesel and not sure how high I should be revving to change gear without putting unnessesary strain on the engine :D

I don't think you can put excessive strain on your engine as the diesels are rev-limited in the ECU. Personally unless I need a bit of urgency I tend to change up at about 2000rpm as the turbo starts to kick in around this figure and I've found that I get better fuel economy by keeping below it in the intermediate gears.

I don't think you can put excessive strain on your engine as the diesels are rev-limited in the ECU. Personally unless I need a bit of urgency I tend to change up at about 2000rpm as the turbo starts to kick in around this figure and I've found that I get better fuel economy by keeping below it in the intermediate gears.

could you put excessive strain on your engine by changing too low?

I find mine struggles a bit at or below 1000rpm when its cold. Once warm it will pull ok from 1000rpm.

Once again I don't think it will put excessive strain on it - you can easily tell if its struggling and just change down.

I also find that when driving briskly the turbo range is fairly limited and it soon runs 'out of breath' so it's better not to keep it on the boil like a petrol but change up earlier.

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club