Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Oil Change Time ..... Semi Or Fully Synthetic

catch

It's that time of year coming around again, and I see there are two options regards which oil to use. Now considering I don't hammer the car and it only has a low annual mileage. And on the motorway I don't go above 78 much. But now I've mentioned motorways, I'm really trying to keep my cruising speed to circa 68 as I find the petrol economy shoots up.

Any way I digress again.

So does the greasy hands brigade reckon it's worth paying nigh on double for fully synthetic as against semi synthetic when using a decent brand like Mobil

Reason I ask is Halfords are doing Mobile FE/3000 5W30 Semi Synthetic Engine oil for £22.39 for 5L that's a 20% saving on their normal price of £27.99

With the Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 Fully Synthetic Engine oil being £39.99 instead of the normal £49.99 for 5L

interesting Q that I was trying to ask myself a few weeks ago when i did a change on my focus.

I attempted to look at all the pro's and cons of each. In the end I went to my local ford dealers and asked them. The guy behind the parts counter was really helpful and told me that by factory stock my focus tdci uses semi-synthetic 5-w30 formula-E which conforms to specification WSS-M2C913-B. He also said I could purchase this from ford direct if I wished. (at this point I was expecting a very high price tag) however it was only £25.99 for 5 litres, I didnt think that was a bad price for ford oil and liked the idea of keeping the same oil in the car as it gets when ford services it :)

they also sold me the official filter for £8

the guy behind the counter said using fully synthetic over part-synth had virtually no advantages for the type of general driving I do (as im not really putting the engine under a huge amount of strain or anything, so I thought why bother paying more and changing? :)

If ford use part-synth I guess thats what the engine was designed for :)

however any 5W-30 oil which conforms to WSS-M2C913-B should be fine for my engine, not sure if the specification is the same for a petrol? it says the specification needed in the handbook near the back pages :)

hope this helps

well in the absence of any other opinions MrrNoName, I have to say I'm of the same opinion as you and the Ford service desk guy. In fact I had already purchased the semi before I started the thread. I just did not want prejudice the thread in anyway by stating as much. :D

this stuff....5w30 ;)

That's a very good price..............but unless it's free delivery there's the postage on top to consider ;)

That's a very good price..............but unless it's free delivery there's the postage on top to consider ;)

This is true my friend...but the whole idea of mail order is the convinience of not having to drive somewhere using petrol and standing in a que ;)

This is true my friend...but the whole idea of mail order is the convinience of not having to drive somewhere using petrol and standing in a que ;)

how very true :) But I like having a munch around Halfords every now and again. Journey 9.5 miles each way, 18 minutes per journey, but no queuing. Petrol costs @ 42mpg = £2.30, so if you take into account time and money yes mail order is very good.

But to add balance to the above, if your expecting a home delivery you could end up having to stay in all day, for a day or two just waiting for the delivery. :D.........not generally a problem for me as some people may think I'm welded to this chair :rolleyes:

Semi synth works for me too!!!!

£25 or £50 approx , it's a no brainer innit?

i only use what they recommend which is semi synth as well thats what the car was tested with so makes sense to stick to it

interesting Q that I was trying to ask myself a few weeks ago when i did a change on my focus.

I attempted to look at all the pro's and cons of each. In the end I went to my local ford dealers and asked them. The guy behind the parts counter was really helpful and told me that by factory stock my focus tdci uses semi-synthetic 5-w30 formula-E which conforms to specification WSS-M2C913-B. He also said I could purchase this from ford direct if I wished. (at this point I was expecting a very high price tag) however it was only £25.99 for 5 litres, I didnt think that was a bad price for ford oil and liked the idea of keeping the same oil in the car as it gets when ford services it :)

they also sold me the official filter for £8

the guy behind the counter said using fully synthetic over part-synth had virtually no advantages for the type of general driving I do (as im not really putting the engine under a huge amount of strain or anything, so I thought why bother paying more and changing? :)

If ford use part-synth I guess thats what the engine was designed for :)

however any 5W-30 oil which conforms to WSS-M2C913-B should be fine for my engine, not sure if the specification is the same for a petrol? it says the specification needed in the handbook near the back pages :)

hope this helps

The ford M2C-913B spec replaced the original M2C-913A spec and is for both Ford petrol and diesels (with a few exceptions such as the new ford focus RS and the VW engined diesel fords. Oh and some of the new euro iv spec diesels).

Ford dont recommend semi or full synthetic, just a spec such as the Ford M2C-913B spec, and a viscosity 5w-30. For warranty purposes as long as the oil meets this spec what it is made from (semi or full) is down to the owner.

If you look here you will see a mix of semi and full synthetic 5w-30's that all meet the ford spec http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-698-wss-m2c-913-b.aspx

Cheers

Guy

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well I took the motor in this morning for it's MOT and service . And you know what when I looked at that oil I bought it clearly stated on the front of the container "fully synthetic" So that was indeed a very good buy at £22.39 for 5L.

I must have got the "semi synthetic" information from reading that "flick over card" system Halfords use to identify the correct oil for the make and model of your car.

Mind you even at the current price of £27.99 I reckon it's still a good deal.