#1 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Ford Model: 2005 Ford Focus 2.0TDCI Titanium

Posted 08 September 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi guys.......have just bought my first ford....a 2005 2.0TDCI Focus Titanium Saloon. its got 88k on the clock and has been well looked after. Eveything about it seems perfect and im really happy with. I just wanted to know at what intervals should the CAM belt be changed? cant seem to find a definitve answer on the net??

cheers

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 H3lly

H3lly

Feet Under The Table

• PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  • Name: k
  • Ford Model: Mk1 Focus
  • Year: 2003

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:32 PM

Every 10 years or 100k kilometers. That interval seems too long in my opinion. I changed mine at 90k. If it has a timing belt and was changed it should have the a mark on the timing belt cover, usually in tipex saying when it was done. The garage where you purchased from should know when it was done.

#3 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:53 PM

Every 10 years or 100k kilometers. That interval seems too long in my opinion. I changed mine at 90k. If it has a timing belt and was changed it should have the a mark on the timing belt cover, usually in tipex saying when it was done. The garage where you purchased from should know when it was done.

Hi mate, cheers for the info. So if it hasnt been changed i should get it changed before it hits 100k mark or ASAP really?

The timing belt is the same thing as a cam belt isnt it?? I bought the car second hand from a private seller and I went through all its service receipts lastnight and saw no mention of cam belt/timing belt change.

It's MOT is due at the end of Oct......would the cam belt/timing belt be inspected during an MOT??

#4 MrrNoName

MrrNoName

MrrNoName

• PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Titanium
Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:59 PM

A timing belt is the same as a cam belt, and according to ford should be changed at 100,000 MILES or 10 years.
HAYNES however recommend that the belt should be changed at 70,000 miles because if the belt snaps it will most likely cause catastrophic engine failure. The cam belts condition IS NOT checked during the MOT. when the cambelt is changed ensure that the pullys and tensioners are also changed as it is usually the tensioner that goes snapping the belt

#5 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:24 PM

A timing belt is the same as a cam belt, and according to ford should be changed at 100,000 MILES or 10 years.
HAYNES however recommend that the belt should be changed at 70,000 miles because if the belt snaps it will most likely cause catastrophic engine failure. The cam belts condition IS NOT checked during the MOT. when the cambelt is changed ensure that the pullys and tensioners are also changed as it is usually the tensioner that goes snapping the belt

great info, thanks for this guys. Thats why i am slightly worried about it as i am aware that the whole engine would be ruined if the belt went. I think I will get it MOT at end of Oct then get the belt done directly after that. any ida of cost for a belt/tensioners/pully change on my model focus?

Also is it best for me to get Ford to do it or an independant garage? Ive heard that Ford charge a hell of a lot more than most independant garages?

#6 MrrNoName

MrrNoName

MrrNoName

• PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Posted 08 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

great info, thanks for this guys. Thats why i am slightly worried about it as i am aware that the whole engine would be ruined if the belt went. I think I will get it MOT at end of Oct then get the belt done directly after that. any ida of cost for a belt/tensioners/pully change on my model focus?

Also is it best for me to get Ford to do it or an independant garage? Ive heard that Ford charge a hell of a lot more than most independant garages?

as far as cam belts go, i usually go by, if in doubt.. get it changed. its not worth the risk at all. providing you have a garage that you trust this should be ok. unfortinatly its going to be expensive as its a long job for a garage to do. cant give you expact prices as I dunno im afraid. a three figure sum though

#7 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:07 PM

as far as cam belts go, i usually go by, if in doubt.. get it changed. its not worth the risk at all. providing you have a garage that you trust this should be ok. unfortinatly its going to be expensive as its a long job for a garage to do. cant give you expact prices as I dunno im afraid. a three figure sum though

yeah definatly not worth the risk.....the car drives perfectly and i havnt detected any issues in terms of performance at all, everything seems to be in order. Its just the CAM belt plays on my mind cos i know how serious it could be if it suddenly went. I guessed it would be around 200-300 for cam belt, pully and tensioner change....

#8 MrrNoName

MrrNoName

MrrNoName

• PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:21 PM

yeah definatly not worth the risk.....the car drives perfectly and i havnt detected any issues in terms of performance at all, everything seems to be in order. Its just the CAM belt plays on my mind cos i know how serious it could be if it suddenly went. I guessed it would be around 200-300 for cam belt, pully and tensioner change....

get it done for peace of mind mate. i wouldent hang around because theres no real advantage of getting it done after the MOT enless you think it might be a failure :P ;)

#9 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,213 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 08 September 2010 - 04:48 PM

get it done for peace of mind mate. i wouldent hang around because theres no real advantage of getting it done after the MOT enless you think it might be a failure :P ;)

i paid ford 210 for a full cambelt kit thats belt tensioners idle pulley and guides new camshaft bolt and a new fan belt thats inc labour and vat an independant wanted 200 without the fan belt if ford do it they gaurantee the belt for 100k not the tensioners though independants gaurantee nothing

#10 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 10:37 PM

i paid ford 210 for a full cambelt kit thats belt tensioners idle pulley and guides new camshaft bolt and a new fan belt thats inc labour and vat an independant wanted 200 without the fan belt if ford do it they gaurantee the belt for 100k not the tensioners though independants gaurantee nothing

!Removed! hell, thats a well good price...if i can find a local'ish Ford dealer who will do it for that price id be well happy...and at least you get a gaurantee and that extra piece of mind. To be fair as long as it didnt cost over 300 i think id be ok with that.

Its common for people to get the water pump changed at the same time isnt it? suppose that will add another 50 onto the total price:-(

#11 artscot79

artscot79

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,213 posts
  • Name: arthur
  • Ford Model: focus mk2 ti-vct
  • Year: 2006

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:19 AM

!Removed! hell, thats a well good price...if i can find a local'ish Ford dealer who will do it for that price id be well happy...and at least you get a gaurantee and that extra piece of mind. To be fair as long as it didnt cost over 300 i think id be ok with that.

Its common for people to get the water pump changed at the same time isnt it? suppose that will add another 50 onto the total price:-(

tghey check the pump when doing the belt however if youres is like mine the pump has nowt to do with the timing belt and is run by the fan belt meaning you dont have to get it done till its time and its about 160 quid to do the pump thermostat and fill with coolant a good price but the pumps are pretty strong so if they say its fine dont get it changed save up for later

#12 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:00 AM

tghey check the pump when doing the belt however if youres is like mine the pump has nowt to do with the timing belt and is run by the fan belt meaning you dont have to get it done till its time and its about 160 quid to do the pump thermostat and fill with coolant a good price but the pumps are pretty strong so if they say its fine dont get it changed save up for later

ok thanks, once again excellent info. I spoke to my mechanic thismorning and ive booked it in for its MOT on Oct 26th and he said he give it a good inspection too as i havnt actually had anyone look at it yet. It was serviced in April so everything should be in order.

I also asked him about the cam belt and he suggested get it done around 95k (im prob not gona wait till then and will get it changed before xmas this year). He also said that id probably only be able to get it changed by Ford? not that im massivly bothered wether its done by ford or independant

#13 jmurray01

jmurray01

Too much time on the boards

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts
  • Name: Jamie
  • Ford Model: MK1 Ford Focus LX 1.8 in Midnight Blue
  • Year: 2000

Posted 09 September 2010 - 11:55 AM

Well on the 1.25 Petrol Fiesta it is 11 years or 75,000 miles. However I would say 7 years or 40,000 miles is better! For a diesel the intervals are usually higher. I would get it changed along with tensioner and water pump if I were you!

#14 APJ

APJ

Feet Under The Table

• Budding Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

Well on the 1.25 Petrol Fiesta it is 11 years or 75,000 miles. However I would say 7 years or 40,000 miles is better! For a diesel the intervals are usually higher. I would get it changed along with tensioner and water pump if I were you!

yeah im defo gona get it sorted before xmas!

#15 MrrNoName

MrrNoName

MrrNoName

• PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts
Posted 09 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

id say 40,000 miles was a bit early tbh :P, ford say the 1.25 is good till 100,000 or 10 years

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users