Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Loud Shuddering

pid

hi this is my first post on here

i have a 2001 focus 16v 1.6 zetec and have owned it for a few months trouble free now, but driving home on friday as i came to a stop a loud shuddering came from the front end of the car. when i pulled over to have a look i dipped the oil and that was low but not off the marks so i topped that up and all other levels were ok and the brakes did not smell or look like they were sticking on.

the shaking only happens when coming to a stop at very low speeds, apart from that it drives fine.

any help greatly appreciated.

hi this is my first post on here

i have a 2001 focus 16v 1.6 zetec and have owned it for a few months trouble free now, but driving home on friday as i came to a stop a loud shuddering came from the front end of the car. when i pulled over to have a look i dipped the oil and that was low but not off the marks so i topped that up and all other levels were ok and the brakes did not smell or look like they were sticking on.

the shaking only happens when coming to a stop at very low speeds, apart from that it drives fine.

any help greatly appreciated.

idle control valve ecu needing flashed for idle undershoot

idle control valve ecu needing flashed for idle undershoot

thanks for the quick reply!

i dont really understand that, do i need to change or inspect the idle control valve and check the ecu mapping?

sorry to sound a bit thick

Basically means you need to take your car into Ford to have your ECU updated to the latest version as it will have various fixes for what you have described. Also your Idle Control Valve may need a clean so remove it from the front of the engine where the throttle body is and clean the inside of the valve with carb cleaner and make sure all of the crap is out of it.

I have got a problem with my 52 plate 1.6 Focus where the engine excessiveley shakes when idle and sends vibrations throughout the car, it's twice as bad when using the air con etc. It only does it when the engine is warm though and never does it when the engine is cold. I have been informed as well that I may need an ECU update as it may cure the problem but with mine I may have a slightly dodgy spark plug or HT Lead that needs replacing.

Liam

Basically means you need to take your car into Ford to have your ECU updated to the latest version as it will have various fixes for what you have described. Also your Idle Control Valve may need a clean so remove it from the front of the engine where the throttle body is and clean the inside of the valve with carb cleaner and make sure all of the crap is out of it.

I have got a problem with my 52 plate 1.6 Focus where the engine excessiveley shakes when idle and sends vibrations throughout the car, it's twice as bad when using the air con etc. It only does it when the engine is warm though and never does it when the engine is cold. I have been informed as well that I may need an ECU update as it may cure the problem but with mine I may have a slightly dodgy spark plug or HT Lead that needs replacing.

Liam

theres a few things you can do first is with the ignition on but car not started use the dash trick and check battery voltage then go to cr which is the crank sensor and turn the ignition on the reading should change to show the sensor is working second is with engine running check the battery voltage leave it on that and switch the front lights on and the rear heated screen as well as front and rear fogs and check the reading now press the accelerator the voltage should increase if the alternator is working fine now go the rpm and with all the electrics off check the reading should be 670-730rpm now switch the eklectrics on the voltage will dip momentarily then go back to normal 670-730 any lower then suspect the idle control valve if its higher then you have a problem somewhere as it should not be reading 750 or above as thats not correct so something is making the engine idle too fast if liker you say it happens with aircon switched on then you need to have the car checked out

just a quick update

when i was driving to work on sunday i got stuck n traffic on the M1 (no surprise there) and the car was making the noise again so with the car rolling out of gear i rev'd the engine from idle to about 2.5/3k and the noise continued!!!

i will try the dash trick tomorrow but as im at work i dont have any tools to clean the idle valve, and also how much would a ECU re-map be and do i have to go to a ford dealer or could kwik fit do it as i have a friend who works there.

just a quick update

when i was driving to work on sunday i got stuck n traffic on the M1 (no surprise there) and the car was making the noise again so with the car rolling out of gear i rev'd the engine from idle to about 2.5/3k and the noise continued!!!

i will try the dash trick tomorrow but as im at work i dont have any tools to clean the idle valve, and also how much would a ECU re-map be and do i have to go to a ford dealer or could kwik fit do it as i have a friend who works there.

if the noise continued with the engine revving ide forget the idle control vaklve and suggest you get it looked at mate as it could be many many things each is costly so youre better getting it diagnosed kwik fit dont have the equipment nor knowledge so fords the best bet

Ok so last night I done the dash trick and with the engine cold the idle was about 1100 and after driving about for 10mins with the engine warm I stopped and done the dash trick again and the idle was around 780-790. I have called my local ford dealer to see if they can do a ECU upgrade but they haven't rung me back yet!

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club