Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Clunking Noise From Front

mick88

Hello All

Fiesta has been behaving well until lately

When turning the steering to straight ahead after turning when reversing I get a clunking noise from the front, steering is quiet at all other time's, is this just the norm for the electric steering system as i've no experience of it or is it a characteristic of the Mk7 fezza :D

Thank's in advance

Sounds like the strut bearing. The strut bearings job is to twist the suspension strut when the wheel turns, when it goes bad, you rotate the wheel to straight ahead and the suspension coil doesn't twist back with it, so when the strut turns the clunk sound is the strut rotating but the coil staying in the same position. Hard to explain but hope I have done so adequately.

Thanks jmurray01 for your reply

Was told could be the top strut mounting, is this the same thing. Just strange that I get it only when reversing but not at all when driving

Will book a date with Ford for a look at it

Thanks jmurray01 for your reply

Was told could be the top strut mounting, is this the same thing. Just strange that I get it only when reversing but not at all when driving

Will book a date with Ford for a look at it

yes, although i would say the mounting 'holds' the bearing within it but yes that is what they are talking about.

iv got this problem as well. started after about 14000 miles. only happens in slow speed manouvoures usinf full lock. Took it to Ford who lubricated the steering column, the problem still persists though.

iv got this problem as well. started after about 14000 miles. only happens in slow speed manouvoures usinf full lock. Took it to Ford who lubricated the steering column, the problem still persists though.

only time ive ever come across it is on older cars, after a few years of being blasted by water and salt, the bearing dries up.

i would have said it was unusual on such a new car but then, who knows these days.

if you get someone to turn the wheels, have a look at the spring you might see that its 'notchy' when turning, you might also be able to feel it.

Thank's all for the replies

Stef will check out the spring's condition

Car only has 5000 mile's on it from January this year but it was built last August so was probably lying in a compound somewhere for the 5 month's that hasn't helped :(

Hi Mick88

Did you get any resolution to this problem?

My Mrs 10-plate Titanium is doing the same - a knocking noise from the front end when reversing then straightening the wheel again at low speeds. It is fine when above 10mph. The car has only done 4000 miles.

Cheers

oobster

• Like 1

Hello oobster

Fiesta is booked into local Ford dealer this coming friday morning, will report back any news when I get it back. Hopefully get it sorted

Got the Fiesta back today, noise gone :D

Noise was being caused by the torque sensor that control's the electric power steering. It was giving wrong infomation to the steering's ECU, it's job is to sense the steering input and vehicle speed and adjust the strenght of the steering to match, light steering at slow speed's and weighting up when the speed increase's. They updated the system's software and also checked the suspension and steering part's, all checked out ok

• Like 1

Thanks Mick, did the noise I described above sound similar to the problem you were having?

Also, was there any charge for the work you got today?

Yes mate same noise when straightening steering after reversing, no noise when up and running, only at slow speed

No charge for the work, done under warranty

• 5 years later...

I've got a fiesta 1.25s .2000 dam thing is driving me nuts I used to have just the clunk noise the mot mush said i needed to replace the anti roll bar bushes, did that, clunk still there, replaced the ball jointed efforts at each end of anti roll bar,still got clunk but also got wot sounds like spring rattle at all speeds oh these noises are coming from passenger area but when I brake noises stop, power on noises start again.please can anyone help me? Thanks

• 4 years later...

Bit of an old thread, but may be useful to someone. I had the clunking when turning at low speed on my Fiesta mk6. I replaced the shock absorber a while back after it failed the mot due to a leak. I'm putting this down to the number of pot holes out there as the car has only done 35,000 miles.

I noticed the clunk after this. The problem was with the top strut bearing, so I am guessing this was also damaged or, possibly just soaked up,some of the fluid leaking from the shock. The clunk was the seat of the bearing rotating against the top strut mount when you changed steering direction.

Replacement strut bearing was £7.89 from GSF, so worth replacing if or when you change a shock to avoid having to dismantle and refit the suspension more than once.