3 replies to this topic

#1 Big Al

Big Al

• Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Ford Model: Galaxy 1.9TD
Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:19 AM

Afternoon Chaps
Mid way through replacing the rear pads on the trusty old 1999 Galaxy. Old ones off, caliper cleaned new pads ready but I cannot get the piston to compress back to make space for the thicker pads.
I have released the handbrake cable from the caliper, I have a trigger clamp on the piston and the rear of the unit, I have tried to release the bleed screw with a one man braking kit but I can't get fluid through the bleed nipple and the piston won't compress.
Any bright ideas that don't require a full strip down of the caliper etc.

Regards
from a puzzled Big Al

Just found the bit about rotating the piston cloclwise with a pair of pliers whilst pushing the piston. Piston is turning but not getting much movement back into the caliper. Any suggestions????

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#2 stef123

stef123

Ford Enthusiast

• Management
  • 5,806 posts
  • Name: Stefan
  • Ford Model: Mondeo ST TDCI
  • Year: 2006
Contributor

Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:29 AM

Afternoon Chaps
Mid way through replacing the rear pads on the trusty old 1999 Galaxy. Old ones off, caliper cleaned new pads ready but I cannot get the piston to compress back to make space for the thicker pads.
I have released the handbrake cable from the caliper, I have a trigger clamp on the piston and the rear of the unit, I have tried to release the bleed screw with a one man braking kit but I can't get fluid through the bleed nipple and the piston won't compress.
Any bright ideas that don't require a full strip down of the caliper etc.

Regards
from a puzzled Big Al

you ideally need a wind back tool, you need to turn the pistons as you push them back in

#3 Big Al

Big Al

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Posted 18 September 2010 - 11:49 AM

you ideally need a wind back tool, you need to turn the pistons as you push them back in

Just found a third hand and success. Thanks for the advice. On to second brake caliper now. Cheers

#4 Big Al

Big Al

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Posted 18 September 2010 - 02:24 PM

Just found a third hand and success. Thanks for the advice. On to second brake caliper now. Cheers

off side piston proving very difficult to retract anticipating removal of the caliper.

anybody else had a pig of a piston to retract. Think it's a job for a left hander which I'm not, with having to release the bleed nipple at the same time as turning.

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users