Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Squeaky Gear

zev

Hi,

I've noticed the last few weeks that when I change into 4th gear it squeaks, I have no problems changing gear the gears appears to be running smooth. Is it something to worry about or perhaps it needs a bit of grease.

zev

Hi,

I've noticed the last few weeks that when I change into 4th gear it squeaks, I have no problems changing gear the gears appears to be running smooth. Is it something to worry about or perhaps it needs a bit of grease.

zev

hi zev.

do you know what squeaks. is it inside the car, out side,? i had a annoying squeaking from my gear stick, over the years the dust/dirt and liquid from the cup holders had fallen through the gear stick gator and surround, i gave it a hoover and dropped a few drops of bicycle oil on the ball joint at the bottom, seems to have done the job for now.

try and be as descriptive as you can when posting, it will help others to help you quicker.

you can check this by sitting in the car with engine off. move through the gears see if the squeaking is coming from the gear stick.

let me know it is and i will put together a "how to clean post" its really easy to do.

if its not coming from there, repost with a bit more information, im sure one of the members will be able to help you.

hope this helps

Darren

hi zev.

do you know what squeaks. is it inside the car, out side,? i had a annoying squeaking from my gear stick, over the years the dust/dirt and liquid from the cup holders had fallen through the gear stick gator and surround, i gave it a hoover and dropped a few drops of bicycle oil on the ball joint at the bottom, seems to have done the job for now.

try and be as descriptive as you can when posting, it will help others to help you quicker.

you can check this by sitting in the car with engine off. move through the gears see if the squeaking is coming from the gear stick.

let me know it is and i will put together a "how to clean post" its really easy to do.

if its not coming from there, repost with a bit more information, im sure one of the members will be able to help you.

hope this helps

Darren

Yes sorry lol.I've done as you said sat in the car and tested the gears. It very quietly squeaks in all gears but louder in reverse and 4th. Its from the gear stick and inside the car. My gear stick is covered by material and not easy to get to from inside. Hope that describes the problem better .

zev

Yes sorry lol.I've done as you said sat in the car and tested the gears. It very quietly squeaks in all gears but louder in reverse and 4th. Its from the gear stick and inside the car. My gear stick is covered by material and not easy to get to from inside. Hope that describes the problem better .

zev

ok ill put a read through together for ya now

remove the plastic trim that the leather gator is attached to

post-16544-128500864981_thumb.jpg

lift the trim and gator up out of the way

post-16544-128500859346_thumb.jpg

clean up and mess, dust etc, be careful not to got to hard as you dont want to damage anything. be aware that there are some important electrical stuff there.

post-16544-128500872507_thumb.jpg

then add a few drops of light oil etc. work the gear stick until the squeak is gone (hopefully).

post-16544-128500883138_thumb.jpg

there are a few other plastic linkages there if the squeak is coming from them u can always dab them a bit of oil/grease with a cotton bud.

try not to use to much on the gearstick ball joint just a few drops and work the stick you dont want it swiming in oil just enough to reduce wear.

hope this helps

ok ill put a read through together for ya now

remove the plastic trim that the leather gator is attached to

post-16544-128500864981_thumb.jpg

lift the trim and gator up out of the way

post-16544-128500859346_thumb.jpg

clean up and mess, dust etc, be careful not to got to hard as you dont want to damage anything. be aware that there are some important electrical stuff there.

post-16544-128500872507_thumb.jpg

then add a few drops of light oil etc. work the gear stick until the squeak is gone (hopefully).

post-16544-128500883138_thumb.jpg

there are a few other plastic linkages there if the squeak is coming from them u can always dab them a bit of oil/grease with a cotton bud.

try not to use to much on the gearstick ball joint just a few drops and work the stick you dont want it swiming in oil just enough to reduce wear.

hope this helps

Thanks darren will give that a go

zev

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club