Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The General Chat forum is ONLY for threads which DO NOT fit any other category. If your thread is anything do to with a specific model, it should go in the relevant model club section

Door Mirror Spiders

Stephen Leak

At last, my new Fiesta has a full complement of little spiders, living in each door mirror. As in previous cars, the nearside one is called Incy and the offside one is called Wincy. However, I do know of a Scottish Mondeo owner, who calls his Robert and Bruce.

We should think ourselves lucky. In Australia, the poisonous Funnel Web spider has, with the demise of the outside toilet, started living under the sun visors of cars.

At last, my new Fiesta has a full complement of little spiders, living in each door mirror. As in previous cars, the nearside one is called Incy and the offside one is called Wincy. However, I do know of a Scottish Mondeo owner, who calls his Robert and Bruce.

We should think ourselves lucky. In Australia, the poisonous Funnel Web spider has, with the demise of the outside toilet, started living under the sun visors of cars.

Yes indeed those little buggers made a home in my mirrors too.as you mentioned we are very lucky not to have anything poisonous here. I've name mine jeesus --as that's what I say every morning when I see the size of the web.Good travelling companions --unlike the wife they don't tell you that you are going too fast or took the wrong route :)

And totally impervious to extremes of temperature, jetwashes, etc.

Must have been taking advice from the cockroaches tongue.gif

I too have a door-mirror-dwelling friend! His name is Gary, I hadn't seen him for a while but he appears to have moved back in! When washing my car a few weeks ago I even had the pleasure of meeting him, I hope he wasn't offended by the screams.

I recently acquired a spoiler-spider, but I don't know him well enough to be on first name terms yet :)

for those of you wishing to evict the little critters, now is a good time to collect a conker or two....slice them and place behind the mirror...works better than the baliffs :D

There is a spider living in my car too! I didnt see it for a few days and then it re-appeared, I think it lives in the wheel arch :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

haha reading this made me crease up :D

but anyways i have never had mirror dwelling spiders but i did, what i like to call, big mo fo who lived in the gap on the inside of the windscreen at the very top, in the pug.

it wouldnt be that bad if i dont suffer from serious arakniphobia (or how ever you spell it), and this one liked to jump on you when he is on the car ceiling or randomly shoot a web at you...things got violent very very quickly...He once managed to get back in after a i flicked him out of the window on the a1 near durham, not sure how but it was defo the same one.

for those of you wishing to evict the little critters, now is a good time to collect a conker or two....slice them and place behind the mirror...works better than the baliffs :D

But then you have the issue of a rotten, smelly piece of conker in your wing mirror? Not sure which is worse really. :blink:

Sometimes I do quite like the pretty webs Gary leaves me on a frosty winter's morning, glistening in the sun. I almost feel bad destroying them everyday, alsmot! :huh:

I dont have one in the mirrors but some how one got inside my car and made a lovely web across the dashboard. I only left the car for 8 hours whilst I was at work!

• 3 weeks later...

Mirror spiders must one the busiest beasties around, they produce new webs with alarming speed,one day after collection there it was, a new web. My Honda doesn't have a spider, is it because she lives in the garage and the spider has a better choice of places to do his thing.?

Yep spiders seem to love the MK4 Fiesta! However they never touch the Rover 216! Maybe they don't like the electrics in the Rover's mirrors! Fiesta has manual mirrors so more room for them I guess!

• 2 weeks later...

How the hell do they manage to hold on while traveling at 120kph?

They do have 8 legs. And spider silk is very sticky.