Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Whats Wrong With My Clutch? Help Please !!

dp1987

As ive said in the past ive got a X reg "2000" 1.8 zetec Focus and its my first car. The bloke i baught it off had the clutch done about 4 months before i baught it and it passed its MOT etc 2 months after and ive had it for coming up 6 months so can the clutch go so soon if its just under 12 months old??

I had a full service done 2 months ago with front brakes done also.

So my problem is when accelerating from dead in 1st gear there's like a clunking noise thats hard to describe just as the car moves off and im briging the clutch all the way up. Just after the biting point when the car takes off it makes like the catching / clunking noise that can be felt in the car aswell as my passengers in the front and back can feel and hear it.

It makes the car feel to the passengers like its wheel spinning/vibrating on take off if that makes any sense.

In all other gears its fine and its not over revving or anything. It accelerates fine and i can take off very slowly in 3rd and 4th gear. But my biting point is high.

Whats also weird is that on quick one off short journeys its fine but if im drving in busy traffic stop starting and going to and from places all day it will start and carry on for the rest of the day. Like when the cars heated up or something. My dads been driving for 30 years and he could feel it before when he tried it but cant think what it can be.

I can take off very slow and its fine but taking off at nromal speed it does it. and its not the way im driving as it never happened for the first few months but its maybe got worse and happening more often on busy/long journies

hope this makes sense for someone to help me.

this could be a lose or worn rear engine mount, its easy to check, remove the undershield and you can see it right at the back of the engine, check this frist before you take it for a new clutch.

this could be a lose or worn rear engine mount, its easy to check, remove the undershield and you can see it right at the back of the engine, check this frist before you take it for a new clutch.

thanx for your advice but i am clueless when it comes to the mechanics of cars :( What does the rear engine mount do? And i wouldnt even know were to begin looking for it. How would that affect taking off in 1st gear just after the biting point??

Thing is i cant really take it to my local garage 5 mins away as on short journeys it doesnt happen "so they will look at me like nothing is wrong" but if ive been out and about all day it starts everytime i take off from dead.

with a worn rear engine mount you will get a clunking noise when you move off, this causes the engine to rock backwards and forwards. these pics should help you..it could just be lose..

post-2425-128518359626_thumb.jpgpost-2425-128518360846_thumb.jpg

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club