Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Issues With New (2Nd Hand) Mondeo Estate

daithesaes

Hi all,

I have just bought (yesterday in fact!) a Mondeo estate (05 plate, 2ltr TDCi, 130bhp, 61k) and am a bit concerned by a couple of things:

1) It has sounded very rough on a couple of cold starts so far....it sounded like it wanted to stall for a few seconds before it 'recovered' and then idled/drove fine.

2) When accelerating hard (ie foot to the floor) it blows white/very light blue smoke out the exhaust....not tons of smoke but it is noticeable.

I've never owned a diesel before so I'm hoping this kind of thing is normal for a diesel and a diesel of this type/age. However to me it says piston rings and/or valve stem seals are a bit worn and letting oil through.

The car drives brilliantly, pulls well and excelerates well and apart from sounding like a diesel (!), sounds fine (to me at least).

Bought it from a dealer so have a 3 month mechanical warranty, for what it's worth. MOT'd in June and the garage said they serviced it before I bought it but I'm very sceptical when it comes to garages/mechanics!!! Would like an informed opinion before I talk to them as I'm not that mechanically minded and worried they will try to fob me off.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Dave

Hi all,

I have just bought (yesterday in fact!) a Mondeo estate (05 plate, 2ltr TDCi, 130bhp, 61k) and am a bit concerned by a couple of things:

1) It has sounded very rough on a couple of cold starts so far....it sounded like it wanted to stall for a few seconds before it 'recovered' and then idled/drove fine.

2) When accelerating hard (ie foot to the floor) it blows white/very light blue smoke out the exhaust....not tons of smoke but it is noticeable.

I've never owned a diesel before so I'm hoping this kind of thing is normal for a diesel and a diesel of this type/age. However to me it says piston rings and/or valve stem seals are a bit worn and letting oil through.

The car drives brilliantly, pulls well and excelerates well and apart from sounding like a diesel (!), sounds fine (to me at least).

Bought it from a dealer so have a 3 month mechanical warranty, for what it's worth. MOT'd in June and the garage said they serviced it before I bought it but I'm very sceptical when it comes to garages/mechanics!!! Would like an informed opinion before I talk to them as I'm not that mechanically minded and worried they will try to fob me off.

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

Dave

UPDATE: The start up problem is getting worse! Very lumpy, spluttery start up (cold or warm)...this goes on for up to 10 seconds before it 'clears' and idles normally.

I've read elsewhere that this can be due to an EGR valve needing clearing out. Does this sound feasible?

Re the smokey exhaust when accelerating: smoke is definitely black not white/blue as I first thought....I've been told this is normal for a diesel but to me (hope I'm just being paranoid!) it's a bit too smokey.....I've tried Wynns additives for both oil and fuel tank but it hasn't lessened the issue.....if the EGR valve is clogged could this make it smokier than it should be normally?

this will help on the egr clean out

http://fordwiki.co.uk/index.php/EGR_Valve_and_Inlet_Manifold_Clearout_TDCi

also check the intercooler pipe from the egr(big pipe on the bottom)for any splits which would cause black smoke.

Thanks! As it still has a bit of warranty (3 months) I will get the garage I bought it off to check/clean egr and inlet manifold as well as check intercooler hose.....will update with the results when they have done it.

Garage have just called me to say that they found a small diesel leak (didn't specify where) that was causing air to get into the system and this was causing the grumbly starts....haven't picked the car up yet to check if it's fixed so not sure if I believe them.

I mentioned the EGR valve/inlet manifold to them when I dropped it off but the mechanic dismissed this and didn't meniton it any further!!! Not sure I trust these guys as far as I could throw them!!!!!

Will pick the car up and see how I go but I have a mate who's a good mechanic and I think I will take the car to him for a once over....the garage I bought it off claim they serviced the car before I bought it but they clearly 'missed' a diesel leak as well as a loose alternator belt which they say they fixed along with the leak.

Think I may have fun and games with this garage over the next 3 months!

Picked the car up and at first it seemed fine: I tried starting it a few times from cold and no problem. Drove home (30 min drive) and then tried a few starts when it was warm and still no problem.

Just tried it again after a spin round the block and the problem is still there! Doesn't seem to be as bad as before in that it grumbles for only a second or two before clearing but it's still clearly got issues.

Back to the garage I go!

I will try to demand they look at the EGR valve and inlet manifold and see if that being cleaned (if it needs it of course) solves the problem.

Either way I'll update with the results.

Be interested to compare how you get on. Just cleaned my EGR and still smoking slightly on gear change. Starts no problem, but a little 'lumpy' when slowly increasing revs at about 1300 revs. Did not do manifold. My thread is 'exhaust smoke on gear change'. Good luck with yours.

might be worth having the glow plugs checked as can cause lumpy start from cold,and if I were you I would take it to a Ford dealer have them plug it in and then if there computer shows any faults you can take this list back to you garage,my local dealer charges £30 for a diagnostic hook up takes about 1/2 hour

My local Ford dealer charges £67 +VAT. I said "eh" in a loud voice and they did it for half price. Still a rip off, I reckon.

i would get the egr cleaned but you have to clean manifold aswell no point doin one with out the outher did mine and it took about 50mile to feel the diffrence as the ecu has to get used to the diffrent airflow into the engine

Garage hooked it up to diagnostic machine which showed no faults (so they say!)

After their 'fix' the lumpy starts are still there, from cold or warm but nowhere near as bad as before....car has stalled a couple of times in slow traffic too but that could just be me not 100% used to it yet.

Got a mechanic mate looking at it this week.....want him to give the once over as I trust him. Hopefully he can give a list of things that need doing and I can give that to the garage to do under warranty.

Will update with results, good or bad!

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

My mechanic mate has just given it the once over and he said the following:

Start up problem - could be one or more glow plugs that are on their way out but he wasn't too concerned by this. Said he can check them over and if they need replacing he will.

Re EGR valve/inlet manifold - he said it wouldn't hurt to clean these out and will sort it out for me at mate's rates when he's next free

Smokey exhaust problem - said it is a bit too smokey and he's pretty confident that it is an over fueling issue that will be recitfied by an ECU update and injector recalibration. He has contacts at Ford who he says he can get to do it for minimal cost.

All in all, he's put my mind at rest as it sounds like it doesn't really have any major problems and can be fixed at minimal cost/hassle.

He did say that I have slight brake judder that's probably caused by warped discs but the garage i bought it off can fix that for free for me under the warranty......happy days!

Thanks for all help/advice guys, it's been much appreciated and I hope my experiences are useful to someone else.

Cheers,

Dave

It seems we have both bought almost identical cars! ('05 Mondeo estate 130 6spd 60k) But we seem to be having different issue's lol