Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Do I Really Need To Do It?

Mondeo_

Hello guys

I experienced the dreaded clutch slip on Friday when coming across the M62 :o ; I was travelling a little faster than I should have been for around 20 mins, then got stuck in traffic for about the same amount of time moving just inches every 15 seconds or so (alot of stop starting). Anyway, after getting through the traffic I put about 3/4 throttle on and that’s when the slipping struck! It slipped twice at around 2k so I took it easy for the rest of the way home (70 mph in 6th) and it was OK (10 miles to home).

I used it yesterday and did around 30 miles mixed town and motorway driving but I didn't experience any slipping; however, selecting 1st was a little stiff - tell tale sign it's on it way out!

My question for everyone is; do I really have to replace the DMF when changing the clutch?

I know that I should change it and I am more than aware of how temperamental these DMF's are, my only problem is I don't really have the spare cash to do the clutch, DMF and SC at the mo (just put everything I had into a deposit for a house :(). The DMF seems in good order; there are no untoward rattles, vibration in the pedals/through the car at any speed in any gear. I realise that it's free labour if I do them both at the same time but I will be doing the work myself so the labour is not really an issue; saying that, I don’t really want to do all the work again if the DMF goes.

Has anyone changed their clutch without doing the DMF before? Under normal circumstances I would replace all; it pains me that I only have the cash for the clutch at the moment and, as I drive over 100 miles every other day, I need the car in working order ASAP!

Sorry for the essay guys and thanks in advance for any help you can offer!

Oh yeah and my car is a 04 TDCI Ghia X (130 bhp 6 spd)

Sorry, the answer is yes. The dmf's on the the tdcis really don't wear that well and it's a lot of work to do all over again in a month's time.

Wait a minute - 6th gear!? It must be new! That begs the question - Why is the clutch slipping!? After 72,000 miles and 13 years my MK4 Fiesta's clutch is still in new condition and never slips and slides in and out of all gears flawlessly! What year is your Mondeo ?

Thanks for the reply guys

The Mondeo is 6 years old BUT it has done 147K. I use it for work and have to travel a lot; it has done 18K in it in the last 5 months - mainly motorway driving (about 80%).

As I mentioned earlier I know I should really change it - oh well; looks like i will have to try and make it last until next month!

Wait a minute - 6th gear!? It must be new! That begs the question - Why is the clutch slipping!? After 72,000 miles and 13 years my MK4 Fiesta's clutch is still in new condition and never slips and slides in and out of all gears flawlessly! What year is your Mondeo ?

My DMF has just had to be changed at 62,000 miles due to noise and vibration. Ironically, the clutch was only worn about halfway down, but it was replaced as a matter of course. I consider myself to be a careful driver, so at over double the miles I think your car could be well on the way to being due a replacement DMF. I therfore suggest that you hold off if you can until you can afford to do the whole job. (Don't forget the clutch slave cylinder as well, which is inside the bellhousing!)

Keep two cans of coke in your car until it is fixed. One is to pour onto the clutch as a 'get you home' fix, and the other is to drink when the first one fails to work......

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club