Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Furthur Fuel To The Fire

mikester

.. the fire that is 'can I add USB to my mk7' debate that so disappointedly ended with a resounding 'no, not without lots of monies'.

okay so the last answer in that thread was 'if you have a USB port on the module then yes'. otherwise you're going to be spending loads on parts to get it working and then you'd still need a reflash and it may never work.

now i already have bluetooth voice control in my car, so i thought maybe... just maybe I could get this working as the bluetooth was an option that was linked to the USB option. I gave up hopes when read the thread and saw everyone's dissapointing replies.

That was until Ihad a good look myself. So this is what I found:

possible bluetooth module?

DSCF0102.jpg

and this....

DSCF0101.jpg

Could this be the port that illusively eluded many of us?

Unfortunatley I haven't got a USB skinny enough to fit in there so I can niether confirm that it fits a usb pen in or even works as a port. However could I be right in assuming that the cable that was mentioned in the mighty USB thread is a Ford specific clip cable that goes in and routes to the aux port area and thus this is the missing element in getting my USB dreams off the ground...

Answers on a postcard guys. Am I USB Ready?

I'll be very excited if it is a USB port, I'm so sad mine doesn't have one!

that is the port we at ford use to update the bluetooth, it WILL NOT give you music playback and you can only get the lead if your a ford workshop

sorry to disapoint

that is the port we at ford use to update the bluetooth, it WILL NOT give you music playback and you can only get the lead if your a ford workshop

sorry to disapoint

ahhh bummer.

so where am i supposed to be looking under the glovebox to see if i've got this magical port?

i tell you what though, you have done well find that i wouldn't of lol i was looking before :P

I will have a hunt through the wiring diagrams and see if i can figure this out for you

sorry to disapoint

What exactly do you update with the bluetooth? Is it when a new revision comes round like, 2.0/ 2.1 or what? Can it add or enable new features?

I will have a hunt through the wiring diagrams and see if i can figure this out for you

i've had a look through the wiring diagram and this is port C3 which is labeled as usb.

just need to know if buying the usb cable would be a good idea or not as is this where it's supposed to go into?

anyone with usb care to take a look. no tools required to get this flap down, its held up with push pins... easy to remove :)

anyone with usb care to take a look. no tools required to get this flap down, its held up with push pins... easy to remove :)

I have USB, what/where am I looking for? PM me if you like.

Ive had a look and it looks like USB could be fitted after all. The USB port which is empty in your's is in use in mine. Here's a pic..

med_gallery_6648_164_62578.jpg

have been having a chat with out master tech today and he says that the cable is around 9 pounds and that they can be bought by anyone, hes bringing it it to me tomorrow for me to get the finis code off of it and so we can try it in a model without bluetooth to see if it works, will updte you around midday tomorrow with this one, and if it does work ill do a bulk buy, seeing as i set the prices:P

ok, so who wants USB and is coming to MK on the 10th as im buying some of these leads as they seem to do the trick as i just unplugged that plug and bobs your uncle, my ipod was "disconnected" i will double check prices tomorrow but should be around £10 although it may need a usb plug for the other end for about £5, although if enough people want one ill do them for pretty much cost price

few questions that spring to mind...

1) what is the cables part number... me wants one!

2) would there need to be any re-programming done for the car to actually recognise there is an ipod/usb plugged in if you just have the AUX line and option on the screen

3) how do i fit the other end of the usb? and change from just the aux line to the aux + usb

4) would it automatically link to the steering wheel controls with it being a retro fit And on a lesser note voice command

I will hopefully know the answer to all these questions and a price for everyone tomorrow

cheers mate... cos my ipod is broke, well partly and i only ever use it in car atm and it only works out the bottom port thing not the headphones, so this may be a money saver lol

I am extremely interested in getting the USB cable and whatever adapter one might need to go on the other end but I can't make it to the meet. :( Would it be possible to have it posted if it works?

well then folks, there are two ways i can price this if it works, i can price for the cable and the plug, so you can wire it in behind the dash and run an ipod cable out from under the centre console or i can make it so that it will be like a factory install, i.e with both ports by the handbrake lever button. this will involve a little more work and expense, but i mean LITTLE.

and with regards to postage, of course i can post

did you find out ewt about whether the head unit would need any extra programming mate?? i gonna try and throw my ipod cable in for a min cos its long enough and thin enough to slot it... i want it done proper though not just a tacky white cable knockin about lol

I have tried to suss this out. By my reckoning the cable needed is the one which runs from the bluetooth module to the headunit,the microphone in the roof and also to the aux port and this cable has an rrp of £105.84 you will also require a new usb port at around £5 and also the trim for them to sit in.

As for programming i dont think it will need it as when i unplugged the lead from my module last night it cam up ipod disconnected and usb dropped off of the stereo. When i plugged it back in all was well

this cable has an rrp of £105.84

ouch... lookin at the car just then there is also a 2nd aux spot in the fuses according to the sticker on the back of the glove box... so guess it need a new fuse too!

oh and on that theme my 12v adapter has packed up what do you reckon that could be? i thought the fuse but dont want to mess!

i'll donate my car to the cause seeing as i've potentially helped us bluetooth guys out.

if fordpartsman wants a donor car, i'll drive down to you.

also, whats the £105 get you? i was under the impression that C1 and C2 are part of the same plug (the black rectangular shaped plug), C3 is for the sole use of USB (the empty port). so there's a cable that costs a tone that splits to the usb entry port and to the hu as well?

don't ask how but i can see the wiring diagram for this module (comms module) and the plug leads to one place and one.... the 'usb module' which i hope is just a fancy name for usb port, ie where you plug your !Removed! in.

i think we need to do some experimenting!! lol

just for the record, i'd pay £100 odd to be able to use an ipod via the steering controls and see the tracks on my hu.

i'll pay labour too... thats how much i want this to work...

:D

So where does the USB cable that plug into this socket go to? Does it simply go to the USB socket fitting or does it go off somewhere else?