Do Not Sell My Personal Information

High Revving When Cold.

Gareth M

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and was hoping to get some advice regarding an on-going issue I've been having with my 1999 1.6 Ford Focus Ghia Hatchback for quite some time now.

When the car starts from cold, it typically idles at roughly 1500 rpm. Now although the car doesn't drive particularly bad when this occurs, it's still something I would like to get resolved.

When this happens (or at any other time) there are NO warning lights illuminated on the dashboard.

This is a guaranteed occurrence when the car is started from cold.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Hi there,

I'm new to the forums and was hoping to get some advice regarding an on-going issue I've been having with my 1999 1.6 Ford Focus Ghia Hatchback for quite some time now.

When the car starts from cold, it typically idles at roughly 1500 rpm. Now although the car doesn't drive particularly bad when this occurs, it's still something I would like to get resolved.

When this happens (or at any other time) there are NO warning lights illuminated on the dashboard.

This is a guaranteed occurrence when the car is started from cold.

Many thanks in anticipation.

not sure what the actual issue is when the cars cold the auto choke comes on and the car will idle at anywhere from 1000rpm-1300rpm as the car warms up this drops till it sits at its normal rpm you wont start a car from cold and idle straight away at 730rpm if you think theres definately an issue it will likely be the idle control valve or an air leak from an emissions hose

not sure what the actual issue is when the cars cold the auto choke comes on and the car will idle at anywhere from 1000rpm-1300rpm as the car warms up this drops till it sits at its normal rpm you wont start a car from cold and idle straight away at 730rpm if you think theres definately an issue it will likely be the idle control valve or an air leak from an emissions hose

Thanks for the reply.

I know that usually a car does idle higher when cold, but this is definitely higher than usual, it sometimes closer to the 1800-2000 mark. I've tried changing the idle speed control valve but didn't make any difference. I also changed the breather pipes as they were causing some rev fluctuations due a leak.

I'll maybe see if I can find any other air leaks.

Cheers for the advice.

If anyone else can suggest anything, it would be appreciated.

Only thing I can suggest is to disconnect the negative battery lead for a few minutes. This will reset the Engine management system. Then reconnect it and start the car and leave it on idle for a couple of minutes until the oil temp is normal. It will try and relearn the optimum settings.

Probably won't work but worth a try.

Only thing I can suggest is to disconnect the negative battery lead for a few minutes. This will reset the Engine management system. Then reconnect it and start the car and leave it on idle for a couple of minutes until the oil temp is normal. It will try and relearn the optimum settings.

Probably won't work but worth a try.

have you fiddled wioth the throttle stop? if its adjusted too much the butterfly valve stays too far open and doesnt close as much as it should which can cause the issue short of an air leak somewhere all i can suggest is have a look at the throttle valve make sure its working correctly then im afraid itsd off to ford as o2 sensors can cause various issue swith stalling and over revving or as a last ditch it could be the head tempo sensor though i would nt hedge my money on it being that

Latest Deals

Ford UK Shop for genuine Ford parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via the club