catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  • Ford Model: MK2.5 Focus 1.6 Titanium Petrol
  • Year: 2011
Posted 01 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

I had only bought the car two months ago from an independent garage who gives a six month warrantee. The warrantee is with "Autoprotect" so basically if your car goes wrong you deal with the warrantee company and not the garage. (So the garage just sells you the car and gets rid of you, clever!!) I have Gold protection that gives up to £1000 of protection (in one claim).

However, once you phone them up you find the small print. First of all you must deal with their approved garage, which is any Nationwide Autocentre.
Then they will not pay for the diagnostics only the repair. My diagnostic was £49 and they ordered the first MAF. The garage then agreed the price (which I was not told) with the Warrantee Company. When the part arrived they decided I also needed an air filter which was not agreed with the Warrantee Company, so that cost me another £20. The MAF and air filter did not fix the problem, so the garage ordered an original Ford MAF. That was fitted to my car at no cost to me (but I don't know if the Warrantee Company were contacted and paid for). This second MAF still did not fix the problem. Here's the catch. The warrantee company will not pay for the new parts if it didn't fix the problem. (Which is I assume to stop people totally renewing their engine parts at the warrantee companies expense) So the garage know that it didn't fix the problem but I'm not telling the warrantee company or I will get a bill for two MAF's.

So the warranty company stipulate which garage group it goes to for repairs. And when their agent the garage fails to repair the car. Any new components their agent fits that as it turns out does not fix the fault, you are liable to pay for..................it's just one big con this car warranty game.

Keith as you did not state what the actual fault was, is it a case of the Main Dealer omitting to tell you what the fault actually was....Now that would have been handy to know, because a fair few peeps with TCDi's appear to suffer with the same symptoms.

I keep lapsing into the mindset that the next car I'll get will be another TDCi. I like the extra torque, the fuel economy and the road tax savings. But then I keep being reminded of the pitfalls you can in counter buying TDCi's with a few years on their back. And then I keep reminding myself, with my annual mileage it not worth it. All the time I've had petrol engined cars [apart from my first one an A35 van ]never had engine faults or break downs. And I've owned motors for forty six years now [and never bought a new one] And all I've ever had to do is service them once a year. OK I've had the usual renewals, a couple of clutches, pads, shoes and disks, and a couple of exhausts......nar I'll stick with petrol I think, especially with this hit and miss approach to getting them fixed......the more kit there is on the car, the more potential sh@t there is to hit the proverbial fan it would seem. :rolleyes:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

#17 keith-focus

keith-focus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus 1.8 TDCI

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:46 AM

Sorry all for not making my solution clearer.

It was a bad connection on pin 14 in the battery junction box that finally fixed the fault. The Ford main dealer "repaired and made good the connector" and I haven't had the fault since.

I had suffered loss of power and revs would not increase at start up but did not have any white smoke.

There does seem to be a number of faults that could cause similar symptoms but in my case it was just the bad connection.

Keith

#18 WHITEyy118

WHITEyy118

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Ford Model: Focus Sport 1.8TDCi

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:17 AM

It was a bad connection on pin 14 in the battery junction box that finally fixed the fault. The Ford main dealer "repaired and made good the connector" and I haven't had the fault since.

I had suffered loss of power and revs would not increase at start up but did not have any white smoke.

There does seem to be a number of faults that could cause similar symptoms but in my case it was just the bad connection.

Keith

So how much did that cost you?

I've got to fork out 80 on the diagnostics and then whatever the problem is. What's worse is the garage I go charges like 80 for 1 hours labour :(.

But I'm now starting to think the white smoke I'm getting is something different to the warning light. I think the smoke is just down to the EGR and then the other fault is just a faulty wire or something. I've already had my alternator replaced as it was causing the battery to dish out too much voltage. Luckily that was done under warrenty when I bought the car. Maybe it could be down to that again?

But we'll see. My car is there now so I'll keep you up to date when I get a phone call.

#19 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:55 AM

No I'm the one who should apologise Keith, you made it quite clear in your third post back. And as such did not feel the need to go into said detail again in the post that followed it.......I really must pay attention :rolleyes:

Same goes for you WHITEyy118.. :D It cost Keith 94 [two visits] but he also got two car washes out of that as well :)

And lets be fair they obviously had somebody on the job that knew what he was doing. I mean tracing a wiring fault can be a bit hit and miss at times. Especially if the guy working on you car is only good at replacing brake pads ;)

#20 WHITEyy118

WHITEyy118

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 02:27 PM

No I'm the one who should apologise Keith, you made it quite clear in your third post back. And as such did not feel the need to go into said detail again in the post that followed it.......I really must pay attention :rolleyes:

Same goes for you WHITEyy118.. :D It cost Keith 94 [two visits] but he also got two car washes out of that as well :)

And lets be fair they obviously had somebody on the job that knew what he was doing. I mean tracing a wiring fault can be a bit hit and miss at times. Especially if the guy working on you car is only good at replacing brake pads ;)

Yeah I just looked back. Although I didn't know if he was charged anything on top of the labour. All he said was it was repaired and made a good connection so I didn't know if anything was replaced. But it doesn't matter anyway cos no doubt my case will be something different. My car has been there 6 hours now and I've not heard anything, but they could leave it till the end of the day again like they did before <_<

And about the free washes, last week I took my car for a service. Online they charge 259 for a major service and you can add extras, like a car wash. I didn't bother but they did it anyway :lol:

#21 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:27 PM

And about the free washes, last week I took my car for a service. Online they charge 259 for a major service and you can add extras, like a car wash. I didn't bother but they did it anyway :lol:

I know it's to late for that service, but you should shop around main dealers if you want a main dealer service stamp in your book. Because you would most likely find them doing cheaper services for cars over 3 years old, than those you can book on-line. Why? because in the real world they realise that there are a lot of cars out there they are not servicing because main dealer hourly rates are so high.

Posted Image

#22 keith-focus

keith-focus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:55 PM

Yes, my total cost was 94 quid at the main dealer, that included the fix. (and car washes!!)

Keith

#23 WHITEyy118

WHITEyy118

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 03:58 PM

I know it's to late for that service, but you should shop around main dealers if you want a main dealer service stamp in your book. Because you would most likely find them doing cheaper services for cars over 3 years old, than those you can book on-line. Why? because in the real world they realise that there are a lot of cars out there they are not servicing because main dealer hourly rates are so high.

I did but there is a story behind it. I had the week off work last week so was going to book it in then so I was looking online and ringing my local Ford dealers to get prices, I found 2 cheaper than the 1 I mentioned above. However the week before that the warning light I've been on about came up so I needed to get my car in ASAP, and the 259 one was very helpful and got me in like 1 week before the rest.

And I'm not mega rich but at the same time I don't want to have to count every penny I spend so I don't mind paying a little more. Especially considering a service is only a yearly spend.

#24 catch

catch

Ford Enthusiast

• True Ford Enthusiast
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
Posted 02 November 2010 - 04:20 PM

And I'm not mega rich but at the same time I don't want to have to count every penny I spend so I don't mind paying a little more. Especially considering a service is only a yearly spend.

Well my granny always told me.....if you look after the pennies the pounds will take care of themselves :ph34r:

#25 WHITEyy118

WHITEyy118

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 06:46 PM

Update.

Got a phone call at 16.45 saying they have just done an IDS check and the fault code was a glow plug circuit problem. So they said they'd fix it then and it'd be ready by 17.45. So off I trot to pick it up and they call 15mins early to say its done. Anyway I spoke to the man and he said that from the code they checked all my glow plugs and all were faulty, so they have had all four changed. With the new parts and labour it cost £184 but now the car does run a lot better and no light. As it was dark I couldn't tell if the smoke problem had gone but I only assume it has.

Ok I've payed a lot recently but I'm just happy it's all done now. :)

#26 keith-focus

keith-focus

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:12 PM

I know what you mean when you say I am just glad it's all sorted.

Sounds like the first garage was onto something when they said it was the glow plugs relay.

How were the glow plugs faulty? Were they on all the time or did they not come on when you started. I guess this is what was causing the white smoke.
I wonder what caused all four to be faulty. (maybe they were on all the time and burnt out)

Anyway, I am glad you car is fixed. Thanks for posting your solution for other to look up in future.

Keith

#27 WHITEyy118

WHITEyy118

Settling In Well

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:51 AM

I know what you mean when you say I am just glad it's all sorted.

Sounds like the first garage was onto something when they said it was the glow plugs relay.

How were the glow plugs faulty? Were they on all the time or did they not come on when you started. I guess this is what was causing the white smoke.
I wonder what caused all four to be faulty. (maybe they were on all the time and burnt out)

Anyway, I am glad you car is fixed. Thanks for posting your solution for other to look up in future.

Keith

It was the same garage that done it all. It was only because they did the diagnostics check on the last visit when it told them the correct code. The visit before they must of just guessed. :huh:

And I haven't actually checked about the smoke yet cos it's been dark but I think it would have gone. At first I thought the smoke was because of a dodgy EGR valve but after cleaning it nothing changed. So I suppose it had to be the glow plugs. And because of the smoke it just means that fuel isn't burning correctly because of lack of heat. Therefore they just weren't heating up properly. So I can only put it down to wear and tear but my car has only done 40k and what's the chances of all 4 being faulty :blink:

Have something to contribute?

Sign in or register to start a topic...

Not what you're looking for?

Register now, we have a huge community of enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users